7DMT is currently on fire (11/1/14)

Sped2424

That's passing a lot of judgement on something (unless you are part of management) you have absolutely no knowledge about.
he's not wrong...What preventive measures have they ensured that this wouldn't happen again after the little mermaid incident? Because if they took em I don't think the mine train fire would have happened..unless grumpy is back on the wagon again (menthol cigarettes).

kap91

he's not wrong...What preventive measures have they ensured that this wouldn't happen again after the little mermaid incident? Because if they took em I don't think the mine train fire would have happened..unless grumpy is back on the wagon again (menthol cigarettes).

We really don't know. They may or may not have changed anything. Things may or may not need to be changed.

There might very well be fire suppression systems up there. They're not exactly fool proof. I've seen the trees near the castle (behind the fantasyland buildings) catch on fire multiple times and there's a sprinkler system that is on there DURING the show. Disneyland (might have been Disney world as well) has had fires break out on their fantasyland rooftops on multiple occasions with a sprinkler system already in use.

Not saying he is wrong either, just that unless he knows something we don't it's pretty harsh to codemn all of management as clueless.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And/or: who is overriding whatever safety rules should be in place about what level of wind conditions should lead to a cancellation of fireworks?
This is a strange one.

Wind conditions are monitored in real time, with all and any in park launchers able to be disabled as and when needed. I've seen the show run in less windy conditions with all in park effects scrubbed. Which could mean either something didn't stop when it should have or something happened that hasn't been accounted for. Although you would have thought they would have used fire resistant materials in the first place. Obviously a preshow sprinkle system can't cover the whole building area including guest ride path, and a deluge system would require the ride area empty before each show, which asks the questions was the ride built in the wrong place if you can't protect it, should it have been built out of different materials, or how far do you go to protect it?

More to the point, how did this happen in an area surrounded by guests? What if it landed 30ft either way? I'm hoping this won't be another excuse to try and reduce pyro in the park, something that has been tried before by using the very same excuse (I'm looking at you Phil)

TP2000

Well, this is a fascinating thread! It seems it was a bit of an over-reaction at first (inferno! fire trucks! collapsing structures!) for what amounted to a small fire due to an errant fireworks shell.

But all that said, Disneyland cancels fireworks several times per year for wind conditions, oftentimes in mid-show, to prevent things like this happening, even if it means disappointed customers.

It appears it's time for Magic Kingdom management to make safety more of a priority and rethink their fireworks strategy and cancellation procedures. Maybe place a call to Disneyland managers on Monday morning and ask them how they do it in Anaheim?

Robert Butnarasu

Visit Disneyland Paris instead. Here, fire is part of the show, not a side effect of it. :p
12674276135_d62636b878_z.jpg

fireman17

Just jumping in here for a moment. First I wasn't at WDW when this fire occurred so this is just my opinion from being in the fire service for over 30 years. The fire appears to have been involving some very flammable material and with the wind being what is was caused a quick spread. Now, there were comments of the fire not being called in quickly I'm sure 911 was getting calls as soon as the fire was spotted. The apparatus needed to respond have to go to areas that allow them access to the parks and as you can see in the one picture the firefighters are guiding the operator of the aerial platform through the park. Just driving a rig like that on open roads is a task in itself take it from me let alone drive it in any of the parks at WDW. I have visited the brothers at Reedy Creek Fire Services and these guys and girls are the best at what they do and what they respond to day after day I tip my hat to them. Now, getting back to the fire, once a fire is discover you must evacuate the ride for everyone's safety from the pictures I was looking at there was not enough fire to cause any type of collapse but I'm sure caused significant damage. As for extinguishment, it appears that the aerial was used primarily so the brothers did not stretch any hose but, they may have after the fire was knocked down. I can't recall if the aerial platform has an onboard water tank. If so it would be around 300 gallomns which would be more than enough to put out this fire. Tey would also have to tie into a hydrant for water supply so not sure how close a hydrant was. That being said the firefighters ay Reedy Creek are always busy as the day we visited with my sons there was only one member available for the tour. For more information on RCFD here is their link.
http://www.reedycreek.org/index.cfm?Section=10&PageNum=78

mp2bill

This happened with little mermaid and now mine train? I'm assuming fireworks related?
I wonder what it is about that part of the park that causes it to catch on fire so readily? Obviously, it is down wind from where the fireworks go off, but still...you'd think that rides catching on fire wouldn't be so common. God forbid somebody's clothes caught on fire because of firework fallout.

BigThunderMatt

But all that said, Disneyland cancels fireworks several times per year for wind conditions, oftentimes in mid-show, to prevent things like this happening, even if it means disappointed customers.

It appears it's time for Magic Kingdom management to make safety more of a priority and rethink their fireworks strategy and cancellation procedures. Maybe place a call to Disneyland managers on Monday morning and ask them how they do it in Anaheim?

Disneyland can pull this off because of the sheer amount of APs they have that can always come back another day. Magic Kingdom guests would riot of fireworks were cancelled mid-show. They would be out for blood. It's one thing if the show is cancelled before it starts but mid-show...oh dear God I can hear the undeserved cries of self-entitlement now.

PirateFrank

....how did this happen in an area surrounded by guests? What if it landed 30ft either way? I'm hoping this won't be another excuse to try and reduce pyro in the park, something that has been tried before by using the very same excuse (I'm looking at you Phil)

Or, it could have just been a defective charge. I've seen more than my share of firecracker/m80, etc explode earlier than intended due to a defective fast fuse or not explode as intended (with more of a prolonged burn instead of a fast firing pop)

I know this isn't your intent, but I hope everyone doesn't rush to judgment on indicting TDO management. Until we know and have solid proof that there was some CM negligence, it might make some sense to chalk this one up as an accident.

I do share your hope that this isn't used as an excuse to cut/reduce pyro in the park.

FerretAfros

Here's a video of the fire truck arriving on the scene. I'm surprised that they didn't do more to clear the area of guests first (the teacups are clearly still operating), but perhaps that was due to a quick EMS response. Are they already in the park for the fireworks?

And I agree with @TP2000 that they need to reconsider their wind policies. DL cancels their shows with some regularity, and I see no reason that WDW shouldn't/couldn't as well. WDW doesn't have to deal with fireworks landing on the homes of neighbors or the freeway so they have more flexibility, but safety should still be the top concern. Safety > courtesy > show > efficiency, right?

Perhaps it's time to redesign the fireworks show itself. After Remember opened at DL, they significantly tweaked the show because it was impacted by wind so frequently in its first year as the centerpiece of the 50th. It's one of the reasons that they eventually added Magical, which relies far less on in-park effects and is a less delicate operation. If MK had an alternate show for windy nights (or, heaven forbid, a new show to finally replace the overrated Wishes), I'd have to think that these types of situations could be avoided

And if anybody here thinks that DL can get away with cancelling a show due to wind (especially mid-show) because of the AP population, you're sorely mistaken. Although there are certainly entitled guests in WDW, nothing compares to the entitled attitude of the APers; they think they know everything and they think they deserve the best at all times. I've personally experienced many show cancellations including mid-show (in recent years they've gotten better about making announcements about possible cancellations early in the day, and cancelling the show as early as is feasible), and people are disappointed but life goes on. I'm sure the stroller brigade at WDW would manage just fine

kap91

Are they already in the park for the fireworks?

Not to my knowledge, but the fire station is literally a couple hundred feet north of Frontierland. And the mermaid gate is like 2 ft from the main backstage access entrance and road (Park 1,2,3? I can never get the numbers straight). Anyway, my point is they're very, very close to the MK. Even at their new location. The old location was literally at the backstage entrance gate.

Disneyhead'71

You can't "enforce" it really, but they're told to say it. So they do, knowing it's a lost battle (and also if they DON'T say it and the video goes public, then they could get in trouble for "allowing" them to get footage.) Decent human beings will respect and follow the rules. Entitled will say, "Screw you, I'm selling this to the news so I can pay for this vacation."
An attraction on fire in WDW is the definition of "news".

kap91

An attraction on fire in WDW is the definition of "news".
Yes, but these days it gets quickly blown out of proportion and a tiny little fire that causes little damage and is put out in minutes becomes a near-national headline with the impression that half the park is destroyed.

Contrast this to even just a few years ago, when the castle caught on fire multiple times in a few months and pretty much the only people that even heard about it were cast members that happened to work in that area of fantasyland. I mean, you're launching fireworks on the roof of buildings in close proximity to lots of flammable things. It happens, and happens pretty often. Not that attention shouldn't be paid to it, but it shouldn't become the story that it almost did or receive that kind of attention.

Some perspective and context is what tends to be missing, especially when coming from citizen journalists, though they're hardly the only ones at fault.

Not exactly sure what my point has to do with yours, just mainly a rant on today's media and sensationalism.

ewensell3

Not exactly sure what my point has to do with yours, just mainly a rant on today's media and sensationalism.

NBC just had a 30 second blurb. Fire on attraction last night. Believed to have been started by fireworks. Emergency responders quickly put out fire. No one hurt. Ride planned to be back up and running today. End of story.

So I flip over to Fox news... And see a commercial about adopting pets so no clue how they are going to report it if at all.

kap91

NBC just had a 30 second blurb. Fire on attraction last night. Believed to have been started by fiteworks. Emergency responders quickly put out fire. No one hurt. Ride planned to be back up and running today. End of story.

So I flip over to Fox news... And see a commercial about adopting pets so no clue how they are going to report it if at all.

The fact that it made national news (assuming you're not talking about WESH) is my point. That in itself implies a much greater importance than it actually had.

And even if it was only WESH, you can bet they did tease like "Fire at the Magic Kingdom, (if they're feeling particularly creative" Guests frightened for their lives. More at 11". Which of course implies all sorts of things for the viewer to imagine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom