7DMT is currently on fire (11/1/14)

PhotoDave219

Have people lost their common sense? MK puts on a fireworks show or at least attempts to every single night of the year. Isn't it possible that every now and then one of the aerial shells that is launched by means of fire and designed to explode in the air could go astray or quite possibly misfire? The two key words there are "fire" and "explode". Do people seriously expect that these rocket powered projectiles are going to be 100% stable and predictable 100% of the time? They can't get a half a billion dollar rocket to do that, or a manned "space ship" for that matter.

There a so many variables involved in putting one of these shows on and I'm willing to bet this incident wasn't the result of someone's negligence. It's funny how the media and people in general love to point the finger and there always has to be someone to take the blame. In an instance where it is a high profile target such as Disney, everything must be blown out of proportion, people lose their minds and all of a sudden there's this huge pursuit to find someone at fault.

In my opinion, stuff happens.

Hey "Flight Safety".... you realize NASA has numerous safety protocols and go/no-go lists, right?

The winds during last nights' fireworks show were 30+ and blowing towards the park and guest areas. The last time we had a grass fire, identical conditions existed. (Strong winds from the north, dry and low humidity). Clearly nothing was learned from that fire and nothing changed as a result of it.

If this was the only time, I would say "Stuff Happens" but this seems to be a pattern of negligent behavior with a disdain towards guest safety.

tl77

It was the NBC Today show, and I thought it was quite reserved.
It's on the Today show, the single-most prestigious morning news show viewed by the entire country. A very small fire that caused little damage, hurt no one, and was put out uneventfully. That's not newsworthy at a national level. It's barely newsworthy at a local level.

That's the "NBC/Universal/Comcast Today" show, they'll pretend it's newsworthy, but did "ABC/Disney's Good Morning America" show cover it?

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So now you understand why my patience runs thin & I tend to fly off the handle?

Lots of misinformation on Twitter.

Lots of people playing citizen journalist whom have never been at a structure collapse, major fire or had a BLEVE go off 200 yards from them. (I dont recommend that last one)

Short version: you report what you know. You report what you can prove.
This is why I don't bother paying attention to Twitter. It's especially frustrating watching sports. A guy limps a little walking off the field in an NFL game and 54 professional journalists are tweeting that he broke his leg (really 1 guy at the stadium tweets it and 53 re-tweet it). If his leg is really broken the original guy pats himself on the back for "breaking the story". If he is in the next play there is never a retraction or apology. They would never get away with this in their full time jobs, but everyone just accepts it on Twitter. It's to the point where you can't really believe anything anymore.

ProfSavage

Have people lost their common sense? MK puts on a fireworks show or at least attempts to every single night of the year. Isn't it possible that every now and then one of the aerial shells that is launched by means of fire and designed to explode in the air could go astray or quite possibly misfire? The two key words there are "fire" and "explode". Do people seriously expect that these rocket powered projectiles are going to be 100% stable and predictable 100% of the time? They can't get a half a billion dollar rocket to do that, or a manned "space ship" for that matter.

There a so many variables involved in putting one of these shows on and I'm willing to bet this incident wasn't the result of someone's negligence. It's funny how the media and people in general love to point the finger and there always has to be someone to take the blame. In an instance where it is a high profile target such as Disney, everything must be blown out of proportion, people lose their minds and all of a sudden there's this huge pursuit to find someone at fault.

In my opinion, stuff happens.

Come on, man! Don't be bringing logic and common sense into a public discussion. Especially a Disney fan forum! Ain't nobody got time for that!

PirateFrank

The people who are negligent are the ones who have not done anything about sprinklers on top of buildings in New Fantasyland.

...If this was the only time, I would say "Stuff Happens" but this seems to be a pattern of negligent behavior with a disdain towards guest safety.

Negligence is weird word to flippantly throw around this scenario. No one was hurt (the majority of cases where negligence is the issue are torts) In this case, property was damaged. Regardless, I realize you're hoping to illustrate the fact that someone should have done something. I get it.

However, I'll submit that 'negligence' is a tough thing to prove here. Fireworks are an inherently dangerous and potential unpredictable thing. I mean, hell...thousands of people stand right in front of that castle every night and watch things blow up above their heads. Even with the most significant controls (and considering the frequency that pyro is used in WDW), you're still going to have unexpected occurrences of flame outs, fast fuses, improper burns. I'd be willing to bet that it happens far more than any of us know or care to know - maybe at least 1x per show......and for the hundreds or thousands of controlled explosions that happen within or outside of expected tolerances at WDW, this one particular shell caused a problem. Rushing in with the negligence charge is, IMHO, premature.

Nemo14

Hey "Flight Safety".... you realize NASA has numerous safety protocols and go/no-go lists, right?

The winds during last nights' fireworks show were 30+ and blowing towards the park and guest areas. The last time we had a grass fire, identical conditions existed. (Strong winds from the north, dry and low humidity). Clearly nothing was learned from that fire and nothing changed as a result of it.

If this was the only time, I would say "Stuff Happens" but this seems to be a pattern of negligent behavior with a disdain towards guest safety.

Yes but Dave, they did remove benches so guests would not be sitting in the line of fire. Pretty considerate of them, no?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The show is done by computer, It would be easy enough to install a few anemometers to map wind speed and direction and halt the show if winds were blowing in an 'unsafe' manner, All by computer control.

PhotoDave219

Negligence is weird word to flippantly throw around this scenario. No one was hurt (the majority of cases where negligence is the issue are torts) In this case, property was damaged. Regardless, I realize you're hoping to illustrate the fact that someone should have done something. I get it.

However, I'll submit that 'negligence' is a tough thing to prove here. Fireworks are an inherently dangerous and potential unpredictable thing. I mean, hell...thousands of people stand right in front of that castle every night and watch things blow up above their heads. Even with the most significant controls (and considering the frequency that pyro is used in WDW), you're still going to have unexpected occurrences of flame outs, fast fuses, improper burns. I'd be willing to bet that it happens far more than any of us know or care to know - maybe at least 1x per show......and for the hundreds or thousands of controlled explosions that happen within or outside of expected tolerances at WDW, this one particular shell caused a problem. Rushing in with the negligence charge is, IMHO, premature.

I'm illustrating that. Part of it goes to the building material on the mountain. (Here's hoping they really didn't choose UV resistant over Fire Resistant.) Part of it goes to people who just like to go to meetings and simply make themselves look good. At the end, this is about guest safety. Plenty of blame to go around from WDI (lack of incorporating sprinklers into their designs) to the people who decide whether or not to launch the fireworks. (When the winds come from the north in excess of 20 MPH, you're gonna have issues). A care free attitude that seems to trickle down from Phil Holmes all the way down through his leadership.

Second fire they've had during these conditions that we know of in the past year. They've got a problem thank god no guests were injured.

Negligence is likely the wrong word, especially in the legal definition. Neglectful is probably a better term.

Goofyernmost

Sure, but, think of the fire storm that happens every time they cancel the fireworks. We really have no reason to assume that there would be a problem last night and it is possible that the guidelines needed to cancel the show hadn't been reached yet, much less surpassed. Yes, thing do happen. People get killed in cars everyday, we don't say that if something exceeds some arbitrary limit you have to stop driving our cars. Sometimes no matter what precautions are used, things can and do go wrong. I don't think that we should assume at this point that somebody did something wrong.

So if this had hit an injured a guest would you still write it off as "accidents will happen"?
Absolutely, it does fall under that category. Everything in life contains some risk. If we decide that the risk is worth it, then we have said, well if there is trouble, I am somewhat responsible for where I am at any given time. I've been hit by a fireworks shell while laying on my back watching them. Didn't even see it coming. It hit my abdomen and totally knocked the wind right out of me. I lived!

And those idiots on twitter, the ones saying the structure had collapsed, theyre accurate and tempered here?
I have to wonder about twitter. I do not use it, nor do I envision any instance where I might even want too. There have been careers wrecked because of it. Multiple other problems have happened to individuals because of it. Embarrassments, harassment and bullying all have been a part of Twitter. So why in the world would anyone want to be actively involved in that mess. Discussion boards are bad enough. #cutthecrapandgetalife

Tigger1988

Original Poster
I have to wonder about twitter. I do not use it, nor do I envision any instance where I might even want too. There have been careers wrecked because of it. Multiple other problems have happened to individuals because of it. Embarrassments, harassment and bullying all have been a part of Twitter. So why in the world would anyone want to be actively involved in that mess. Discussion boards are bad enough. #cutthecrapandgetalife
Everything you said can be applied to many things, not just Twitter.

Living brings on embarrassments, harassment, bullying and much worse.

R W B

As long as its reported correctly and not falsified in anyway I don't have a problem with it being on national news. It is something different that doesn't happen everyday unlike you're typical murder or mass shooting that (sadly) doesn't even phase me anymore.

By saying "pattern" you're saying this happens often? Besides the Mermaid incident, how many times had this happened?

Goofyernmost

Everything you said can be applied to many things, not just Twitter.

Living brings on embarrassments, harassment, bullying and much worse.
Yes, that part was just a secondary problem that using it inherently brings with it. However, if everything you say can and does get out to the general public, somewhere along the line, you're going to say something that is going to cost you way more problems then just speaking could do. I won't even go into the frustration of dealing with people that have there nose stuck to their phones, tweeting away and ignoring actual people to do it. If you are a tweeter, I am not trying to offend you, but, it just seems like people should see themselves as others see them. It is not a pretty picture.

Tigger1988

Original Poster
Yes, that part was just a secondary problem that using it inherently brings with it. However, if everything you say can and does get out to the general public, somewhere along the line, you're going to say something that is going to cost you way more problems then just speaking could do. I won't even go into the frustration of dealing with people that have there nose stuck to their phones, tweeting away and ignoring actual people to do it. If you are a tweeter, I am not trying to offend you, but, it just seems like people should see themselves as others see them. It is not a pretty picture.
The irony of this posting being on a message board. Nothing you've said is exclusive to Twitter.

Sounds like your problem lies with the internet as a whole.

Goofyernmost

The irony of this posting being on a message board. Nothing you've said is exclusive to Twitter.

Sounds like your problem lies with the internet as a whole.
No, I think most all of the internet is a fantastic thing. However, that doesn't mean that everything that is produced via the internet is necessarily good. In my opinion, Twitter is almost useless PLUS it is just a ginormous waste of time. My problem lies with people that don't have enough common sense to know when it is proper to be using it. So I guess, if there weren't people involved it would be great. Have a field day analyzing that. Don't bother... I'll tell you. I hate people! :jawdrop::joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom