7DMT is currently on fire (11/1/14)

kap91

It was the NBC Today show, and I thought it was quite reserved.
It's on the Today show, the single-most prestigious morning news show viewed by the entire country. A very small fire that caused little damage, hurt no one, and was put out uneventfully. That's not newsworthy at a national level. It's barely newsworthy at a local level.

Flight Safety

Have people lost their common sense? MK puts on a fireworks show or at least attempts to every single night of the year. Isn't it possible that every now and then one of the aerial shells that is launched by means of fire and designed to explode in the air could go astray or quite possibly misfire? The two key words there are "fire" and "explode". Do people seriously expect that these rocket powered projectiles are going to be 100% stable and predictable 100% of the time? They can't get a half a billion dollar rocket to do that, or a manned "space ship" for that matter.

There a so many variables involved in putting one of these shows on and I'm willing to bet this incident wasn't the result of someone's negligence. It's funny how the media and people in general love to point the finger and there always has to be someone to take the blame. In an instance where it is a high profile target such as Disney, everything must be blown out of proportion, people lose their minds and all of a sudden there's this huge pursuit to find someone at fault.

In my opinion, stuff happens.

mac_connell

The fire was put out immediately and nobody was injured. Everybody got off safely without having to be evacuated off the ride. It was due to the strong winds and fireworks and the 7DMT reopened within a few hours. Source from CNN

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Have people lost their common sense? MK puts on a fireworks show or at least attempts to every single night of the year. Isn't it possible that every now and then one of the aerial shells that is launched by means of fire and designed to explode in the air could go astray or quite possibly misfire? The two key words there are "fire" and "explode". Do people seriously expect that these rocket powered projectiles are going to be 100% stable and predictable 100% of the time? They can't get a half a billion dollar rocket to do that, or a manned "space ship" for that matter.

There a so many variables involved in putting one of these shows on and I'm willing to bet this incident wasn't the result of someone's negligence. It's funny how the media and people in general love to point the finger and there always has to be someone to take the blame. In an instance where it is a high profile target such as Disney, everything must be blown out of proportion, people lose their minds and all of a sudden there's this huge pursuit to find someone at fault.

In my opinion, stuff happens.

So if this had hit an injured a guest would you still write it off as "accidents will happen"?

Brian

One time, I watched Wishes from Fantasyland near the backside of the carousel before new Fantasyland was around, and I was covered in quite a bit of ash by the end of it. Point being, the wind determines what areas are affected. That night, it was not very windy at all; so the in-park shells launched overhead, and the ash fell almost directly under where they were launched.

PhotoDave219

Just jumping in here for a moment. First I wasn't at WDW when this fire occurred so this is just my opinion from being in the fire service for over 30 years. The fire appears to have been involving some very flammable material and with the wind being what is was caused a quick spread. Now, there were comments of the fire not being called in quickly I'm sure 911 was getting calls as soon as the fire was spotted. The apparatus needed to respond have to go to areas that allow them access to the parks and as you can see in the one picture the firefighters are guiding the operator of the aerial platform through the park. Just driving a rig like that on open roads is a task in itself take it from me let alone drive it in any of the parks at WDW. I have visited the brothers at Reedy Creek Fire Services and these guys and girls are the best at what they do and what they respond to day after day I tip my hat to them. Now, getting back to the fire, once a fire is discover you must evacuate the ride for everyone's safety from the pictures I was looking at there was not enough fire to cause any type of collapse but I'm sure caused significant damage. As for extinguishment, it appears that the aerial was used primarily so the brothers did not stretch any hose but, they may have after the fire was knocked down. I can't recall if the aerial platform has an onboard water tank. If so it would be around 300 gallomns which would be more than enough to put out this fire. Tey would also have to tie into a hydrant for water supply so not sure how close a hydrant was. That being said the firefighters ay Reedy Creek are always busy as the day we visited with my sons there was only one member available for the tour. For more information on RCFD here is their link.
http://www.reedycreek.org/index.cfm?Section=10&PageNum=78

My criticisms have nothing to do with RCES; they have to do with front line CMs and people not willing to take responsibility. There is a prevailing mentality among them that nothing bad can happen here....

PhotoDave219

Or, it could have just been a defective charge. I've seen more than my share of firecracker/m80, etc explode earlier than intended due to a defective fast fuse or not explode as intended (with more of a prolonged burn instead of a fast firing pop)

I know this isn't your intent, but I hope everyone doesn't rush to judgment on indicting TDO management. Until we know and have solid proof that there was some CM negligence, it might make some sense to chalk this one up as an accident.

I do share your hope that this isn't used as an excuse to cut/reduce pyro in the park.

The people who are negligent are the ones who have not done anything about sprinklers on top of buildings in New Fantasyland.

kap91

So if this had hit an injured a guest would you still write it off as "accidents will happen"?

Fallout from fireworks does in fact hit guests, myself included. Including while it's still burning sometimes. This has happened to me personally two times with castle pyro and once watching illuminations. Thankfully, it wasn't hot enough or large enough to cause damage but it certainly could I suspect given the right conditions. And that's just when everything is going right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom