5th Park Opening in Time for WDW's 50th (Jim Hill)

WildcatDen

Lee is as Lee does and in the opinion of this Wildcat, he is a trusted source. As for Jim Hill. . . Saw some movie last night on IFC called Teeth. . .

Disaddict

Forgive my ignorance here but is an 11% decrease still a bad thing if those people are still going to a Disney owned park? :shrug:

WDW1974

To Disaddict:
I apologize if my manner seems arrogant. That is not my intention at all, nor is it my intention to belittle anyone.
When I see a thread of this sort, I tend to try to jump in and infuse a bit of reality. Threads like this (and ones about new Epcot countries, monorail expansion, Marvel in the parks, bringing back old rides, etc.) tend to take on a life of their own, and often increase reader's confusion.

You ARROGANT?!?! YOU?!??!:eek::rolleyes::ROFLOL:

Seriously, I wish you were a bit more arrogant! There's nothing wrong with setting the record straight. They call ignorance blissful for a reason. You go out of your way to be as even handed as you can (as opposed to other evil, vile, Disney-hating Spirits!):D and treat people, many who do not deserve it, with respect.

Don't go apologizing for having some great character traits. And I am saying that as both a poster and, more importantly, a friend.

A thread like this could go on for 2000 posts. Some may say that is fine. And I suspect it is IF it isn't being treated as legit news/rumor. The only legit thing about this is Jim Hill has been marginalized a great deal by the fan community and knows puking forth something like this is a great way to get attention. There's nothing wrong with talking about why you'd like to see certain things but ...

If a thread about fifth-park speculation is something that readers enjoy, then by all means have at it. However, I would propose it be located in the "Armchair Imagineering" section of the site.

Exactly. Very simple solution. Although what do I know ... I'm just a Spirit about to head back quietly into the ether and plan a MAGICal WDW vacation!:)

As far as my sources getting fired...unlikely. I've been communicating with many of the same folks for years now. So far there hasn't been any repercussions for them. Of course, if Disney were to actually know who they are...then, yes. There could be trouble. So far so good, though.

Funny how that works. I haven't gotten anyone fired either ... well, no one that I didn't want!

Now ... do you know what the tile is going to look like in the new Fantasyland bathrooms?

WDW1974

Forgive my ignorance here but is an 11% decrease still a bad thing if those people are still going to a Disney owned park? :shrug:

Of course it is.

Disney is looking to ADD new victi... I mean visitors. If it just redistributes what parks they are visiting it is a bad thing. It's cannibalizing your base. And it has been happening to some extent since TPFKaTD-MGMS opened in 1989. DAK was when it got very serious.

You don't spend billions (that's what parks even like DAK cost when you add in things like labor, electricity, insurance, upkeep etc) to not GROW your base.

Starbucks and McDonald's don't add units to take business away from existing ones either.

Oh, and that 11% decrease at EPCOT was one HUGE reason why the Milennium celebration was centered on that park and it was marketed to death. Disney took that drop very seriously.

devoy1701

Of course it is.

Disney is looking to ADD new victi... I mean visitors. If it just redistributes what parks they are visiting it is a bad thing. It's cannibalizing your base. And it has been happening to some extent since TPFKaTD-MGMS opened in 1989. DAK was when it got very serious.

You don't spend billions (that's what parks even like DAK cost when you add in things like labor, electricity, insurance, upkeep etc) to not GROW your base.

Starbucks and McDonald's don't add units to take business away from existing ones either.

Oh, and that 11% decrease at EPCOT was one HUGE reason why the Milennium celebration was centered on that park and it was marketed to death. Disney took that drop very seriously.

Back from your trip fully recharged I see?

You missed a heck of a celebration this past Saturday to commemorate 40 Years of the magic and pixie dust of Central Florida. :rolleyes: Though thanks to another member here I did get to enjoy the Top of the World Lounge Saturday night which is indeed a wonderful place to relax and kick back.

Great to have you back. :wave:

WDW1974

Back from your trip fully recharged I see?

Ah, devoy ... nothing like the magic of DL and the California mountains to help recharge the batteries. (And other stuff too!):)

You missed a heck of a celebration this past Saturday to commemorate 40 Years of the magic and pixie dust of Central Florida. :rolleyes: Though thanks to another member here I did get to enjoy the Top of the World Lounge Saturday night which is indeed a wonderful place to relax and kick back.

Miss it?!??! How could I? The Twitterverse was abuzz with all the fun, pageantry and amazing things Disney did to honor four decades of WDW.:rolleyes:

I tend to stay as far away from anything that draws out the entire fan community as possible. I have no desire to subject myself to the presence of many of those folks.

Yes, Top of the World is nice. I do prefer the original myself. It was pure MAGIC!!!

Great to have you back. :wave:

Thanks. But I'm just visiting again ... a passing Spirit with an (almost) completely free schedule right now. But between business and two upcoming trips (one to O-Town, one to Europe), I won't be making an extended stay here. Good thing my buddy JT already said something 'highly intelligent':ROFLOL: down on Eddie Sotto's thread to keep me busy/entertained.

But I do miss some of the folks here (yourself included) when I don't have time to post (or even read).

CaptainShortty

Of course it is.

Alright...I'm normally good at the acronyms on here but this one is beyond me. Care to help me out. :p

Disaddict

Of course it is.

Ahhhh. Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. :wave:

RSoxNo1

Of course it is.

The "funny" thing about Animal Kingdom's opening was that there were plans for things in the other parks to help extend vacations as opposed to cannibalizing the parks. Test Track was one of them, but the opening was delayed. The other big item was David Copperfield's Magical Underground at MGM Studios but my understanding is that the entire project just ultimately fizzled out.

Compare that to MGM Studios' opening when Epcot opened Norway and Wonders of Life, and the Magic Kingdom opened Mickey's Birthdayland. I don't have attendance numbers going back that far, but that seems to have been a much better approach.

If you look over at Universal Studios, the main park received an increase in attendance as a result of the Harry Potter addition to Islands of Adventure - that's because they changed their ticket structure to make it closer to Magic your Way and now they're taking 2 days of your Central Florida location, when previously they may have only been taking 1.

Disday

Lee,
Thanks for always quoting me. I love how you follow my every post. I did at one time hear about Disney buying out Universal's Marvel contract. In fact, I've heard that there was an offer made recently. I'm not holding my breath given Universal's egos. The current buzz is for the Dark Kingdom concept. I give that about an 85% chance. Things change at Disney on a daily basis, so we'll see. Whether it's DK or something even better is fine with me. I look forward to the announcement - and your reaction to it, lol.:)

Kamikaze

Hey Disaddict A few months ago someone asked if the new double Dumbo would be completely new or half new and half old, and replied that it would be half new and that they were going to recycle the existing ride... and that Lee guy gave me a hard time, and questioned me on how I knew this... I just ignored him because the Dumbo news was in the Summer issue of Disney Files magazine, which isn't exactly insider info

In your one post about Dumbo, Lee never replied to you.

Also, you're yet to be proven right or wrong.

Lee

Adventurer
This buzz about "Dark Kingdom"...if I may ask...where is it?
On the web? In a blog somewhere?

I can say it certainly not within the company.

Thrill

I think it refers to a post by Jim Hill about a Night Kingdom park, which would allow a relatively small group of people in for a premium price and offer some type of nighttime experience. Nightvision or something.

Disaddict

I remember seeing something about a Dark Kingdom or a Night Kingdom a couple of years back but it was never any more than rumor. I don't ever remember seeing an actual release from Disney about it. As a Matter of fact Jim Hill took the idea and ran with it like an Olympic sprinter for the finish line. :rolleyes:

tl77

To tl77:
Sorry, I have no memory of that. If I was rude in any way, please accept my apologies.

There have been several "Dueling Dumbo" threads I don't remember which one it was either, but I know what you're saying, e-mails/online statements can be ambiguous or misinterpreted, and people need to police the boards for trolls and misinformation...

thanks for this though, no hard feelings I hope :)

britdaw

Sounds like the 50th anniversary is the one no one is gonna want to miss! :) Looks like I know when to plan our next trip to the World.

Lee

Adventurer
Two different concepts being confused here...

"Night Kingdom" was one of the working titles (along with "Shangri La") for the limited entry, boutique park adjacent to Animal Kingdom.

"Dark Kingdom" is the name that has been attached to the fan-generated concept if a fifth gate dedicated to Villains.

Night Kingdom/Shangri La....real, but shelved, concept.
Dark Kingdom...very vague concept that never made it past the most basic of blue sky phases. Never even close to anything resembling active development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom