5th Park Opening in Time for WDW's 50th (Jim Hill)

andre85

Original Poster
In Jim Hill's latest Why For (god I hate that article name), he explains that the reason Disney World's 40th birthday bash is so modest is to to make sure that the 50th is the one that gets all the attention. Especially since all "new parades and shows being staged in all five of the Disney World theme parks."

Did you hear that? All new parades!! Oh...and a mention of a 5th park.

Wait, a 5th Park?! Could it really happen? Might we actually be entering a new golden age, with Fantasyland's makeover, Animal Kingdom's huge addition, and a brand new park? Seems like it would be the ideal time if there were to ever be one.

To quote my favorite bumbling editor: your thoughts?

AEfx

LOL, I'm with you, I wouldn't be half as annoyed with him if he didn't use that silly speak. I live about a half hour from him - no, people don't really speak like that in New England. ;)

Anyway, as to a 5th park, I'm sure there are those people sleeping in bed right now who just got some sort of invisible chill knowing that something would be here in the morning to sink their claws into, and we'd get the classic "OMG are you stupid? A 5th park won't happen because..." folks who will trot out the same arguments against it that we all know.

That said, I'm not of an opinion either way (could be one, could not be one), BUT...in this case, I think this is a classic case of 'Hill throws some crap on a wall, hopes some sticks.'

Why For?

Well, first of all, it's been over a dozen years since the last Disney park opened in Orlando. In the first three decades they built four - and by 2021, that will be over 20 years since AK opened. So, the chances of them not building a new park in Orlando in over 20 years is a bet one could hedge rather well. So it's not a crazy notion, especially since the length between the last park (AK) and 2021 is almost the time frame between when they built all four existing parks.

It's perfect fodder for his "throw some crap on a wall" style, as no one will be able to prove him wrong for a decade, and my guess is by then he thinks he'll be the King of All Media, since he has seemingly abandoned his website to do the sparse stuff on Huffington (my, how the Huff Post has gone down down down the drain since it was sold - I still can't figure out how they have credited Hill-billy as an "award winning writer" LOL). There he can get away with more fluff and BS because his audience aren't the Disney experts most people who come through these parts are.

So, if in 10 years they do build one (not a crazy notion, again), he was right, and if he isn't correct, he probably figures he'll be elsewhere than he is now and won't care. Or, my personal prediction - that he'll still be doing the same crap now 10 years from now, and if they don't build a new park he'll say, "Well I really meant..." or "...it turned in to..." some new put put mini golf or something or other and he'll say, "See, another gate!"

In short, could be true. May not be true. While Hill-billie had a few interesting tales early on (most of which remained unfinished, some many, many years later), there is rarely any good info out of him that either isn't posted elsewhere (namely, here) or that couldn't be put together from various postings and conjecture (again, mainly from here).

While many of us feel it needs work (i.e. Lucasland), MGM is now pretty unarguably a full-day park, and with Avatar over at AK, it sounds like in five years AK may be as well. So it's not impossible to think that they are thinking of a 5th gate - Iger might actually have realized (unlike many fanboys) that maybe the reason AK didn't draw higher attendance to the overall resort is because of the theme and implementation. Wonder how many people saw AK ads on TV and were like, "Yeah, we've got a zoo here at home..." in spite of the NAHTAZOO marketing.

The more I think about it, it almost sounds logical - Disney saw what UO did with one land, imagine if Disney did something on that level in a whole park. It's almost too unreal to think about, when we've spent this century in video-screen/meet'n'greet style development at WDW, but it is a tantalizing thought nonetheless.

Guppy_121

This is so weird, I had speculated ( just from off the top of my head type stuff ) the possibility that Disney could open another park ( in another thread ), a few days ago. I had heard ( rumors, and off the wall speculations ), that this could be something they ( Disney ) would do.
But with the FLE, and the AK addition, the next logical steps in my mind would have been , a DHS addition, and then maybe something at Epcot. Spruce up the existing parks for the 50th.
Anywho ... Is 10 years really enough time to plan and build a whole new gate? .. especially with everything else that is going on ...
Anyone have any idea how long it took to get AK from idea to open?? Just to get some perspective on how long it would take for another park to materialize... and how far from the actual opening would we ( the Disney nutjobs :lol::hammer: ) know that it ( or something )was happening?

Also... if they are planning it, that is ok with me :)

The Empress Lilly

Hmmm...tantalising rumor about a fifth gate!

Although I'm not sure I want that park designed in the current climate. What would Iger Kingdom look like?

Princess meet and greet land - franchise young girls
+ Carsland - franchise young boys
+ Pixieland - franchise older girls
+ Marvelland - franchise older boys
+ Whatever-is-the-succesful-blockbuster-of-last-year - outside franchise for adult demography

It'll get us a DCA, not a DisneySea.

jt04

New Park=Entire park for Star Wars.

There, I said it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Watch this space.

If this is true than I am all for it. Perhaps it will be configured like Epcot with Future World next to World Showcase but in the instance Star Tours 'transporting' you to the "5th gate" which could physically be located 'next door'.

Most likely though I would guess a 5th gate will be 100% Marvel.

All that said, I would rather they took that money and fix Future World, add countries to WS (including attractions) and expanding the Studios with a Toon Town, WoC and a couple more top shelf E-Ticket thrill rides.

Just my rampant speculation.

Brian Noble

"OMG are you stupid? A 5th park won't happen because..."
You rang?

The big question I have about a fifth gate is how that interacts with vacationing habits. And, if I look at the trends, it seems to argue away from one.

Here's an article---about eight years old now---that summarizes a presentation Disney gave for stock analysts about the theme park business. This thing is gold for bits about how the business end of the business works:
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID507040.asp

One of the nuggets: the purpose of a new gate is to extend a trip---to increase "visits per guest". But, to do that, you need a stable of people willing and able to extend their trips. And, unfortunately, trends in US leisure travel point to *shortening* trips, not *lengthening* them. Here's an example of the trend, in an article that is about four years old now:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...1_shorter-vacations-travel-industry-mcalister

So, with vacations getting shorter (not longer), it's harder to justify the fifth gate economically, and instead argues for investment in current parks to expand their capacity to *broaden* the guest pool, rather than *deepen* it. And, that's clearly what TWDC is doing now with FLE and the Pandoraverse.

The one way I can see selling a fifth gate: international travel. International visitors tend to spend much longer when they visit, because the cost and hassle to get here is higher. It's not unusual for a UK visitor to spend a couple weeks. Brazil is becoming a huge supplier of tourists to the area; I don't know how their trip lengths compare, but anecdotally it appears pretty good. As the dollar has tanked over the past couple of years, everything in the US is "on sale" for the rest of the world, and that includes WDW. I expect international growth to continue---globalization tends to spread wealth around more, rather than concentrate it here---and that could be a source of longer-stay guests making the economics of a new gate pay off.

MotherOfBirds

Or maybe this'll be a "Just kidding!" moment like when they announced Night Kingdom right before the economy tanked and we never heard about it again. I know it's been said 100x now, but I'd rather see them expand MGM before they add another park.

ChrisM

Just to be clear for anyone that didn't read the article, his mention of a fifth WDW park was not merely a typo and he explicitly states that he is indeed referring to plans for a 5th park by 2021.

plaz10

New Park=Entire park for Star Wars.

There, I said it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Watch this space.

Honestly this would not be a bad idea at all. Many people put Harry Potter and Star Wars on the same level (I'm not one of those people...Star Wars blows HP out of the water...but thats just my opinion)

But I personally know people who are big HP fans and flocked to Universal for the sole purpose of visiting WWoHP.

Let's take a look at Star Wars conventions all over the country - that plenty of fans flock to. A whole Star Wars land...better yet, park? They'd be cramming to get there. And if the park held special Star Wars event (think Star Wars weekends - every day!) then people would continue to travel down to visit. I think a Star Wars land at DHS would be better suited for Disney so that money can be placed elsewhere.

BUT if we're making personal wishes - I want a Villain Park - Villain Village, please. Hell, I'll take a Villain land!

deltalove

I agree that Disney should concentrate a majority of their effort on refurbishing and expanding the old parks to take them past their former glory and into something even better.
As for a 5th park? The Star Wars idea might draw a large crowd, but a whole park dedicated to it? I think it would be better to expand the Star Wars attraction in DHS to make it a Star Wars themed land, thus giving DHS something completely new and amazing. :shrug: That's just my opinion though.

tizzo

I'm not sure a fifth gate is a very risky prediction to make. When Night Kingdom was shelved due to the economy, my assumption was that it would return eventually. Likewise, if there is a fifth gate by 2021, my assumption is that this is what it will be.

Dukeblue1227

I don't think looking at the time frame between parks of the past and how that might pan-out for parks in the future is quite practical.

Even if you look at it as, they built 4 parks in 30 years... so the 5th one being in 20 years makes sense. That's basically saying "In 100 years they'll build 5 more!"

Who knows where the world will be in 100 years... but the thought of one place having NINE separate theme parks seems unrealistic.

It comes down to the demand for a new park. 4 Parks works exceptionally well, and all 4 parks are very different and offer very different and unique experiences. Their attendance numbers also are as such that 4 parks is manageable within their costs where they can still have crowd levels within their manageable levels that turn them a profit.

A 5th park would require them to feel like there is a NEED and a DEMAND with relation to Attendance for a 5th Park to spread out its guests.

They won't just open a 5th park because they CAN do it, and because it's what all of us want.

I have zero knowledge of anything obviously hahaha, but i'm just speaking from my opinion, from a strictly business standpoint... They handle the parks as a business, not as it's Fanboys Playground. I don't think there is a Demand right now for a 5th park. Disney's attendance numbers were growing exponentially in its first 30 years, but if those numbers level out... you could wait 50 years and there may never be a demand for a 5th park even if they could easily afford to do it and had plans to do so.

MickeyDent

Honestly, what could Disney actually base a 5th park on? MK is the original, storybook magic type park. Epcot is based on "the future" and different cultures. Hollywood Studios is based on all things movies and entertainment. AK is based on conservation and animals.

If Disney were to build a 5th gate, I really can't imagine what it would be based on. Given the FLE and the coming Avatar expansion of AK, seems like it WOULD make more sense and be better economically for the company to invest in upgrades and expansions of the existing parks rather than to build an entirely new one...

Just my 2 cents worth anyway...

hammysammy59

It's a fun mental exercise to daydream about a 5th gate, but I just can't see it happening any time soon. And with FLE and Avatar going on, I SUPER can't see it happening in 10 years. Maybe AFTER Avatar?

GLaDOS

What would Iger Kingdom look like?

Iger will have moved on from Disney by the time the 50th rolls around, IMO.

As for the 5th gate rumor, it needs to stop. Disney isn't the smartest company around, but even they're smart enough to realize they're having trouble running 4 main parks, 2 water parks, DTD, and the countless hotels at this point.

It's not gonna happen by the 50th. Hell, i don't think it'll ever happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom