5th gate anyone.......?

ohioguy

"Expansion at all four parks is well underway"? I must have missed all the expansion work a few months back, then. Epcot has no expansion going on. MK has no expansion going on. DHS has no expansion going on. AK has no expansion going on (remember, they already ripped out PW, so they'll have to have 4 rides in the alleged-Tropical Americas land retheme thing vs. the current 3 rides if you want to actually consider that an expansion). Announcements and blue sky ideas are not shovels moving dirt or steel beams being erected.
You must have missed the announcements for BBTM and the South America. Epcot just added a huge roller coaster and a ride in France. DHS is the problem child.

ohioguy

I still have my hunch that Disney is going to announce a 5th gate on the opening day of Epic Universe to take away a lot of their buzz.
I think the 5th gate is at least a few years away. They still need to right the streaming ship and get ABC figured out. That said, I just don't see them continuing without another gate and allowing Universal to grow and expand without a fight. That includes new attractions at existing parks and a 5th major park. I hope you are right, though!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You must have missed the announcements for BBTM and the South America. Epcot just added a huge roller coaster and a ride in France. DHS is the problem child.
There have been no “announcements” of the such

It looks like there gonna reskin dinoland. So far that’s the only semi-solid lead
I think the 5th gate is at least a few years away. They still need to right the streaming ship and get ABC figured out. That said, I just don't see them continuing without another gate and allowing Universal to grow and expand without a fight. That includes new attractions at existing parks and a 5th major park. I hope you are right, though!
If a “few” is never…I agree

NickPytlinski

Seriously, if the really wanted to draw more people in. Add more attractions to the expansion pads that already exist or create new pads, fill those damn empty buildings that once housed some really nice attractions, lower the admission fee, get rid of the god awful Genie+ and Lightening Lane, lower the park hopper fee to make it easier for people to leave an overcrowded park and go to one of the others, Stop building new hotels and allow the area just off property to thrive letting more people with budget concerns have the opportunity to visit the parks without having to take out a second mortgage.

They are still riding on the coattails of a guy that has been dead for 56 years. That piece of material has started to get pretty threadbare as we are now into the third or forth generation of people that never heard of Walt Disney.

They have done everything that would have killed any other business by increasing the number of people that are going to be just one and done and faced so much frustration that they will never return. They have also made the situation a job instead of an adventure. For many of us once very loyal and addicted people that find the whole thing currently not worth the effort needed. Or the cost for not having anywhere near the fun experience we once were afforded.

This

KDM31091

It seems crazy to me to even be discussing a 5th gate when so much space in the existing parks is unused/underutilized/wasted. DAK is still a half day park and even with the "improvements", it's basically going to be a lateral move. MK has wasted space (Stitch for example, old Skyway building in TL being just bathrooms which it was before the attraction was removed anyway). Epcot...I'm not even going there right now. If you're not into Star Wars, there's still not a ton to do at Hollywood; again about a half day's worth.

They also can't even staff two water parks at once anymore and keep them both open, in Central Florida, in the summer. How in the world would they staff a whole extra park?

The Mom

Premium Member
The $60 billion figure you love to throw out is worldwide spending over 10 (or now maybe 20) years. Maybe. If things like the economy doesn't change and projections come to fruition and Disney makes a boatload of money in all aspects of the company's business lines. As it stands, there could be up to $17 billion spent in Florida over 20 years. And $8 billion in 10 years isn't even enough to build another park, between WDI's horrible cost management plus any other plans they may have during that timeframe.

As pointed out, there's been an allowance for a 5th park since the 2010 RCID Comprehensive Plan, and that plan was created in the late 2000's.
It's legal SOP. When you write a will, you have to account for future children - even if you have no plans for any more and they never exist. It's a just in case this ever happens they are included as heirs.

So WDW has to mention future parks even if they never build them. Just in case.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's legal SOP. When you write a will, you have to account for future children - even if you have no plans for any more and they never exist. It's a just in case this ever happens they are included as heirs.

So WDW has to mention future parks even if they never build them. Just in case.
There have been “more” parks on every master plan filed…on all the water management master plans…since day 1.

Doesn’t mean they’ll ever even consider building them.

Remember that they had an airport and a nuclear reactor on the original plans as well.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There are no shovels in the ground. No dirt is being moved. No beams are being erected. That is not "well underway". Epcot added Rat 4 years ago, that was something which was an actual expansion. GotG was not an expansion, it was a replacement. Most of Tropical Americas will be a replacement. What exactly are they building with BBT? It was a blue sky announcement at the 2022 D23, there was nothing specific mentioned.

Hopefully some of the emphasis above helps you understand, but somehow, I doubt it will.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The existing parks NEED to be cannibalized. That’s why they implemented reservations - there’s too many people.
I thought reservations (initially) were due to not having enough CM's to staff the parks, to spread guests out amongst all 4 parks at the time, plus to keep the number of people in all the parks down to "prevent the spread". And then they morphed into something they did to keep labor costs down until there was enough backlash that they did away with them. I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

One problem WDW does not have recently is "too many people". There are always busy days, but when their own financial reports make mention of "lower attendance at WDW"...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The existing parks NEED to be cannibalized. That’s why they implemented reservations - there’s too many people.

Spreading the same number of guests over more parks is not necessarily a good business decision since it increases costs but not revenue. I think a 5th gate only makes sense if it Disney believes that existing guests will take longer vacations, or there are a lot of people not coming to Disney because it is to crowded.

I do wonder how much un-tapped market there is for WDW? As the costs of WDW go up it further reduces the size of that market.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought reservations (initially) were due to not having enough CM's to staff the parks, to spread guests out amongst all 4 parks at the time, plus to keep the number of people in all the parks down to "prevent the spread". And then they morphed into something they did to keep labor costs down until there was enough backlash that they did away with them. I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

One problem WDW does not have recently is "too many people". There are always busy days, but when their own financial reports make mention of "lower attendance at WDW"...
Reservations were because they conceived it/coveted it for decades. The old office of strategic planning/“destination Disney” days

It was all to extract every cent from the labor

They thought that a public health situation was the perfect pretense to go for it

“We need to know where you are to help YOU”

Luckily it didn’t hold

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

They can build the 5th park while getting the streaming division straightened out. That why they have multiple divisions lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom