5th gate anyone.......?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“In furtherance of its plans to make significant capital investment in the Project during the term of this Agreement, Disney agrees to make at least an initial capital investment of $8 billion dollars within the first ten (10) years of the term of the Agreement, consisting of capital investment in existing infrastructure, new construction and technology investment.”

There is also a promise of a “minimum development” of 5 major theme parks in Orlando.

Ya - - - - that's really open to interpretation.

You "so-called" experts crack me up - - - - it does not matter what news source gets posted here. YOU are never wrong.
Why do I even bother.

For anyone else - give the article a read and do some more googling.
Time will tell - - -
60 billion over 10 years and no 5th park? Ya, that makes perfect sense.

$8 in 10 years in “something”…which can amount to nothing in attractions/capacity

It says right in the language you quoted how non-impactful to the customers that can be.

Disney already has 6 parks in Orlando. The same as the very same development authority says universal is opening their “4th in 2025”. Semantics matter.

Also…here’s the English of it:
Contract: an agreement between 2 parties with an identified exchange of product or services. Referred to as “consideration”

Agreement: a loose understanding/agreement between 2 parties with no binding consideration

Development agreement: both parties have complete ability to ignore/change/backout

Last edited by a moderator:

NickMaio

Original Poster
You crack me up because you quoted something you apparently don’t understand

$8 in 10 years in “something”…which can amount to nothing in attractions/capacity

It says right in the language you quoted how non-impactful to the customers that can be.

Disney already has 6 parks in Orlando. The same as the very same development authority says universal is opening their “4th in 2025”. Semantics matter.

Also…here’s the English of it:
Contract: an agreement between 2 parties with an identified exchange of product or services. Referred to as “consideration”

Agreement: a loose understanding/agreement between 2 parties with no binding consideration

Development agreement: both parties have complete ability to ignore/change/backout
Sounds good Disney Master - - - - - -
No 5th theme park. gotcha.

Just posting an interesting article - - - - - - - I'm done in this thread, the rest of you can droll on with your infinite wisdom.
Have at it....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sounds good Disney Master - - - - - -
No 5th theme park. gotcha.

Just posting an interesting article - - - - - - - I'm done in this thread, the rest of you can droll on with your infinite wisdom.
Have at it....
It’s not on you…the news outlets ran it…

But I think you can see how manipulative this is?

What’s better for WESH? “Shooting on the 4000 block of OBT”?
Or “Disney to double the size of everything so we all will be entertained and everyone is gonna be rich!”

News isn’t the same now

DCLcruiser

CNBC this morning mentioned a new park. So, while WE know that the language is broad, and actually not that new, the overall message getting out is that big new things are coming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CNBC this morning mentioned a new park. So, while WE know that the language is broad, and actually not that new, the overall message getting out is that big new things are coming.
They ran with what was floated because it’s a more interesting story to say new park

Consider also that cnbc has been in the bag for Iger for years. They lauded his comeback and it hasn’t work. Then they lauded his Proxy fight and that didn’t work. Peltz won. He’s a bit of a wounded animal and is looking for stroking.

I don’t disbelieve the major investment…nor do I believe it. They don’t have the benefit of the doubt. They spent 10 years slowly piecemealing the Orlando parks and they aren’t discernibly better than 1999. That’s a fail.

Who knows now what will be done?

DCLcruiser

They ran with what was floated because it’s a more interesting story to say new park

Consider also that cnbc has been in the bag for Iger for years. They lauded his comeback and it hasn’t work. Then they lauded his Proxy fight and that didn’t work. Peltz won. He’s a bit of a wounded animal and is looking for stroking.

I don’t disbelieve the major investment…nor do I believe it. They don’t have the benefit of the doubt. They spent 10 years slowly piecemealing the Orlando parks and they aren’t discernibly better than 1999. That’s a fail.

Who knows now what will be done?
I mean, they are a Universal property. I agree they are just running with the narrative that is all over the internet since the deal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, they are a Universal property. I agree they are just running with the narrative that is all over the internet since the deal.
They are…but they also have been pretty “pro-business” regardless since day 1. Just like one of their competitors is 100% pro investor and the other is anti-worker

It is what it is.

They’ve always given Bob platform…probably because it’s perceived as being good for the entertainment sector.

He does clean up well on camera…usually.

Brian Roberts also likes to tweak him…so they have no problem putting him out there and watching him twist.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
How long is the typical person's trip to Orlando? 5-7 days? Would adding a 5th gate at WDW get people to stay at least 25% longer (an extra 2 days?) I would argue it would not (5-7 days is the standard vacation time that most American's are locked into and it would be tough to change the psychology to get people to not have a vacation from "weekend to weekend"). Would adding a 5th gate draw in more people? Sure, but so would adding a major new land to each of the four existing parks (especially if they're all opened relatively close to each other).

I'm highly doubtful a 5th gate ever comes, but if it does, it won't be a full-size park like DAK or DHS. It will be a smaller boutique park geared towards an older audience. It will be a park that is only open in the evenings and they'll use this park (which could be open from like 6 pm to 2 am) as the reason they keep all of the other parks on truncated hours. Keeping the guests who want to "play" late into the night occupied at a smaller park that is sufficient to handle the smaller crowds who really want to be out that late without the overhead of keeping one/multiple of the main four parks open late into the evening could be appealing to management. The main thing would be finding what to add there that most families would say "I can skip that", while keeping the teens and Disney adults happy (and ideally buying lots of stuff [booze?]). I guess in a way, that just sounds like Pleasure Island, and we all know how that turned out...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How long is the typical person's trip to Orlando? 5-7 days? Would adding a 5th gate at WDW get people to stay at least 25% longer (an extra 2 days?) I would argue it would not (5-7 days is the standard vacation time that most American's are locked into and it would be tough to change the psychology to get people to not have a vacation from "weekend to weekend"). Would adding a 5th gate draw in more people? Sure, but so would adding a major new land to each of the four existing parks (especially if they're all opened relatively close to each other).

I'm highly doubtful a 5th gate ever comes, but if it does, it won't be a full-size park like DAK or DHS. It will be a smaller boutique park geared towards an older audience. It will be a park that is only open in the evenings and they'll use this park (which could be open from like 6 pm to 2 am) as the reason they keep all of the other parks on truncated hours. Keeping the guests who want to "play" late into the night occupied at a smaller park that is sufficient to handle the smaller crowds who really want to be out that late without the overhead of keeping one/multiple of the main four parks open late into the evening could be appealing to management. The main thing would be finding what to add there that most families would say "I can skip that", while keeping the teens and Disney adults happy (and ideally buying lots of stuff [booze?]). I guess in a way, that just sounds like Pleasure Island, and we all know how that turned out...
Nope…

Which they (and in many ways “we”) learned after dak opened.

There is a 7 day travel “barrier”.

USO and wdw are fully aware…the real question is how do they “battle it”?

Worst case scenario: they concede they’ll lose total days…so they’ll try to pummel you on each day/thing you do

Ice Gator

I’m fine without a 5th. They’re struggling to properly maintain the 4 parks that currently exist.

Plus does anyone REALLY think they’d create a cohesive theme or concept for the park to follow? It’d be “Disney’s IP Park”. They’d use Epic Universe as an example and just fill it with whatever new IP based attractions are built at the other parks around the world (Zootopia, Frozen land, etc).

I don’t think there’s enough material for them to envision a new park with attractions/areas that couldn’t fit in anywhere at the other 4. It’d be “Realms of Wonder” or something generic. The theme is that there is no theme!

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
USO and wdw are fully aware…the real question is how do they “battle it”?

The real goal is keeping as much money on property as possible. From the time they touch down at MCO to the time they board the plane to leave. This was why I was so shocked that Disney dropped Magical Express. Magical Express did such a great job of ensuring your Disney trip started the moment you arrived at MCO and, as a side effect, made people less tempted to leave the bubble by making people think they didn't need to rent a car. I suspect their surveys have shown that most people are still staying within the bubble for most of their trip (otherwise, Magical Express would be back). I still think there is room to lure more guests to stay on site. Affordable family suites (big enough for [at least] a family of 6) would be very popular. Two-bedroom suites at Endless Summer are half the price of similar size suites on WDW property and I'd imagine if you had more rooms (at a better price) for larger groups like this, you'd get guests staying longer (and buying more food on property).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The real goal is keeping as much money on property as possible. From the time they touch down at MCO to the time they board the plane to leave. This was why I was so shocked that Disney dropped Magical Express. Magical Express did such a great job of ensuring your Disney trip started the moment you arrived at MCO and, as a side effect, made people less tempted to leave the bubble by making people think they didn't need to rent a car. I suspect their surveys have shown that most people are still staying within the bubble for most of their trip (otherwise, Magical Express would be back). I still think there is room to lure more guests to stay on site. Affordable family suites (big enough for [at least] a family of 6) would be very popular. Two-bedroom suites at Endless Summer are half the price of similar size suites on WDW property and I'd imagine if you had more rooms (at a better price) for larger groups like this, you'd get guests staying longer (and buying more food on property).
That was Eisner…

“Get em there…get em back…lock em in”

Iger has rejected that to investors…who is all he cares about. He hates the unwashed customers.

Now he’s drowning in rejecting that strategy

And universal…always following suit on prices…is catching hell now too.

But they built something

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That was Eisner…

“Get em there…get em back…lock em in”

Iger has rejected that to investors…who is all he cares about. He hates the unwashed customers.

Now he’s drowning in rejecting that strategy

And universal…always following suit on prices…is catching hell now too.

But they built something
Uni could lower prices and would be lauded for doing it. Disney could lower prices and it would be seen as desperation. Which it would be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom