50's Prime Time or Sci-Fi???

Tinkerbella16

Been to both and I reallllly disliked Sci-fi. We won't be going back there, the food wasn't good and we really didn't like the seating...it was very little room to eat.

This year I cannot wait because we're doing 50's Prime Time. Its been a few years since I've been there. But I love the atmosphere and the food there. The interaction with the wait staff is a lot of fun! Now I'm in the mood for those s'mores!!!! :slurp:

slappy magoo

My vote goes to Primetime. I like the ambiance of SciFi, but the food is a big meh. Not as much of an option if you're on the dining plan, but if you're not, consider Primetime for your lunch, then try to get ADRs before the dinner rush and go to SciFi for a dessert.

We ate at both 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi on our last trip. Hands down I preferred Sci-Fi. The ribs and ice cream sundaes were yuuummmyyy! Oh, and the apple pie/crisp is also delicious. The atmosphere was good and our waitress was great. We didn't find 50's to be anything special at all. The food was just o.k. and the atmosphere was lacking. Our waitress was definitely not into her role. I was definitely disappointed. Maybe we were just there on a bad day. Sci-Fi is a definite must do and 50's we will probably never do again.

durangojim

I prefer the Sci-Fi because I love the atmosphere. The food is alright and I'll usually stick with a burger or dog and fries. They have good milkshakes. Primetime can be fun, but I'm not usually in the mood for all of the hooplah that goes along with it, and I don't usually like to order the same food that I or my wife will make at home when I'm eating out. At Sci-Fi I can kick back and enjoy the movie clips without being bothered by the service, at Primetime, you're part of the act.

slappy magoo

Primetime can be fun, but I'm not usually in the mood for all of the hooplah that goes along with it...

Actually, this is a good point. The wait staff (most of them) act like sitcom-like characters, and will instruct patrons to keep elbows off tables, eat all their vegetables, threaten to "tell mom," that sort of stuff. I find it cute, but some of the wait staff look for cues to make a big to-do out of your meal. So if you or anyone in your party tends to be shy and would prefer no attention be paid to them, there is that risk if they get a very showy cast member. Caveat eator, let the diner beware :D

lilclerk

This is a difficult decision for me every trip. I love the ambiance of the Sci-Fi -- you really feel like you're hangin' out at the drive-in. I wish they had a few more clips to show, but I get over that pretty quickly. The food is nothing to write home about -- the burgers are usually okay and the desserts are pretty tasty...
But I really love 50s pot roast. Like seriously, that's my Disney craving rather than Dole Whips or Mickey premium bars. The food at 50s is, IMO, much better and the wait staff is a ton of fun as well (if you're willing to play around with them.) And there's TVs with clips from 50s shows to watch.
I would go to both every trip, but I usually only go to DHS once. :shrug:

harveyt0206

I personally prefer Sci-Fi for the atmosphere. As was previously noted, 50's feels like work to me. While I know many people who love it solely based on the CM interaction they get, I am the type to look at my meals as an opportunity to relax from all the Disney activity. So, with that being said, I would definitely take the interaction into consideration when making your choice. Both are essential must dos at some point though. Have a great trip. :)

crashnuke

One more for Sci-Fi. I love the atmosphere. The B movies are awesome. Ask for a car don't get the picnic table in the back and get your ADR's done now. The 50's is good also, but if I had to make a choice Sci-Fi.:slurp:

WDWVito

Have not been to 50's Prime Time (would have liked to)
But we do like SCI FI. The Kids really enjoyed the atmosphere.
they wanted to go back. on our second day at DHS.
We only Did the hamburger, fries and shakes....They were all great!.

sjead

I may be biased because I have a terrible experience at 50s (two hour wait with ADR, waiter not in character, etc etc), but we have always has great success at Sci Fi. Stick with the basic food, enjoy the clips and have a blast!

PirateFrank

On our last trip, we had horrible service at both...bad enough that I let the respective managers at both restaurants know about it...so I'm biased in a bad way.

I'd personally, try to avoid both....maybe go to H&V or MM's, instead.

Unfortunately, for our upcoming trip, my DD wants to go to the restaurant with all the b&w TVs and my DS wants to go eat at the resaurant with the cars. Ugh!

foreverbelle

50's Prime Time in my opinion as well. While Sci-Fi is neat, I happen to like the atmosphere and the food more than the Sc-Fi Diner.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I like both places, but usually do Sci Fi for lunch or a light dinner, 50's for a nice sit down dinner.

Decent burgers and Reubins at Sci-Fi, more substancial offerings at 50's that are a bit much for me at lunch.

With a good server, the experience at 50's is truly unique. Sci-fi, while not as noteworthy is still a unique experience. (partly due to my being old enough to have spend a fair amount of times in drive ins...:lookaroun)

Mouse Man

Okay since we talking lunch then the Sci-Fi wins hands down. Stupid class B movies playing while you are seated in a car at a drive in. The french Fries, Cheesburgers and Milk Shakes are great. I just love the simple throw back theme. If you are looking for more than this then the 50's Diner would be better. I feel the Sci-Fi Drive In is for lunch and the 50's Diner is for a very casual dinner/supper experience with a tad of humor. Hope this helped.

PopDivaPaige

I would personally choose Sci-Fi, but that's just me- I enjoy more simple foods. I'm very picky.
'50s Prime Time is also nice- the foods seem more like home cooked meals, and the servers are great at acting like you're part of the family.

I guess it all depends on what you like, really.

~Popperz

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom