20K Water poured into Little Mermaid

AEfx

Why the hell would Walt Disney Imagineering bottle and store swamp water just because it was treated and pumped into a ride? Was there some special magic about this particular water that it is no longer coming from Reedy Creek pipes?

It's symbolic from a historical standpoint - though the area selected to dump it in, the chemicals that must have been added to that water, and who was selected, is dubious in that respect.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just one question... what are the mommt-bloggers? Terms get added and thrown around this site a lot and I can't keep track! haha a little help, please? :)

It stems from the plethora of females who blog about Disney, Disney vacations, etc. Compounded by Disney's efforts to formalize some of this with their 'Moms Panel' they formed a few years ago which basically are just selected amatuer spokespeople for the company. The net is flooded with personal blogs of little to no significance where 'moms' blog about their disney wet fantasies.

sweetpee_1993

You'll have to forgive me, but I have terribly mixed emotions about this.

1) Very neat, on a conceptual level. I like little touches like this.

2) I was disgusted it was with a bunch of mommy blogger nobodies. I wondered who they were - designers, something - and then it's a bunch of mommy bloggers (which they bury at the end of the story because it has no significance at all and just proves the current criticism going around has merit).

3) I'm wary looking at that crystal clear water that it really was from the lagoon, and if it was I have a feeling it must have had some major chemicals added to it. I'm sure someone with more of a science background could say, but bottled contaminated water used in a theme park ride (which we all know has that lovely smell) bottled for a decade or two really wouldn't have been camera ready no matter how tightly sealed I would imagine. As it's just symbolic (or would have been if not for the mommy-bloggers), there has got to be something in that water, LOL. And if anyone did "lick the glass", then I would equate that with the kid who ate paste in kindergarten (though the paste was likely less toxic).

I agree. The choice of water pourers kinda sucked the sentiment right out of the whole thing.

As for the water, I was thinking it had to have been put thru some maaaaajor filtering & purifying processes. However, that would cost money which raises my doubts more than anything.

If that was truly 20k Leagues water & someone licked the glass, I think I'd liken that to the crazed girl fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers back in the day who are said to have found Flea's sweaty drawers backstage after a show and wrung the moisture from them into their mouths to be bonded forever. Equally gross.

Pixiedustmaker

I agree. The choice of water pourers kinda sucked the sentiment right out of the whole thing.

As for the water, I was thinking it had to have been put thru some maaaaajor filtering & purifying processes. However, that would cost money which raises my doubts more than anything.

If that was truly 20k Leagues water & someone licked the glass, I think I'd liken that to the crazed girl fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers back in the day who are said to have found Flea's sweaty drawers backstage after a show and wrung the moisture from them into their mouths to be bonded forever. Equally gross.

Not sure I get the gist of the conversation here.

Certainly, the water system for Mermaid and BoG utilizes water that is dyed a nice light blue, and is treated and filtered. So no worries about contaminating this water.

The water supposedly from 20K, would have been treated, i.e. chlorine or whatever they use, to prevent bacteria growth, algae, whatever . . . so if it was real 20K water, it might very well do OK sitting inside of a container somewhere.

If they had any concerns, they could have added a teaspoon of bleach and killed off any bacteria, though I think there is fair chance that if the water was 20K legit, it wouldn't have bacterial growth.

I could see an Imagineer taking a galloon size amount of the water from 20K, as a sort of novelty. Maybe it really was saved, but I think there is also a moderate chance that this was made up.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yeah, the area that the huge 20K Lagoon took up is now the entire Fantasyland Expansion area.
Uhh...NO...The 20K lagoon took up a portion of the FLE...certainly not the whole expansion.

Most of the land for the FLE was never open or available for public use.

Don't make me pull out the overlay again to prove this.

jjharvpro

Love that they did this. I do wish they made more of a ceremony of it on Dec. 6 during the grand opening, but I still am very glad they did this! It's not necessarily on par with, for example, Walt getting kids around the world to pour their specific country's water in It's a Small World at grand opening, but what a great idea and nice tribute!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
During Epcot's 25th, they also claimed to have taken water from different rivers and lakes around the REAL countries from the World Showcase to put into the fountain of nations. I also expect that was symbolic more than real too (although the 1982 opening ceremony where they did the same thing was probably real)

Mad Stitch

Well the lagoon itself wasn't removed until 2004, so it could be as "young" as 8 years.

That’s true. Of all things to keep around, divers, the squid, cool looking subs, they decide to hold onto water? It didn’t happen. Heck, didn’t some of the subs get buried after they sat around rotting backstage for years.

For those of you who never saw 20K, go to DL sometime. The subs there have a new story, but the concept is still the same. For all the technology we have today the simplicity and uniqueness of the ride made it my brothers’ favorite ride at DL. It made me really miss the subs at WDW too.

NYwdwfan

This whole thing makes me mad. Didn't they close 20K for a supposed refurb, then let it sit idle, stick a stupid King Triton statue in the lagoon and then cement it all up with a playground? If they REALLY saved the water from 18 years ago as the post claims, then they are ADMITTING they KNEW it was closed for good and not refurb and there was no refurb planned. Although - I too don't buy that it's actual water from 18 years ago and think it's a total PR move.

wiigirl

I'd like to see this overlay, if you would please.

Me too! :p
75.gif

NYwdwfan

I'm not sure where unkadug's overlay is but these images may help. The back corner of the show building is the area that was re-used in the back corner of the Little Mermaid ride.

20kafter_update01_248_sized.jpg

20kafter_update01_251_sized.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom