20K Water poured into Little Mermaid

Pixiedustmaker

They had a little ceremony today to symbolically link 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to Under the Sea.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...story-is-celebrated-at-new-fantasyland-event/

Using water saved from the lagoon years ago, Imagineers poured the water into the grottos of the queue of the Mermaid attraction.

I think they had a similar ceremony for Epcot when they poured water from rivers/oceans around the world into the fountain.

Felt a little anticlimactic to me given that the interior of the ride is just a relatively cheap clone from DCA, and given that they already did keep a wall from 20K, (though to save money by making it a refurbishment of an existing structure). If they went all out with a Mermaid E-Ticket, or at least a much improved Mermaid interior ride, I think it would have been a nice statement and a real reason to celebrate.

Pixiedustmaker

I wonder if that truly was water saved from 20K lagoon or simply water saved from the 20K toilets?

That's funny. Yeah, I guess we have to take Disney's word on it, though they did recycle a picture from DCA's Mermaid and pass it off as MK's version, (remember the special "first look" photo?) so they are not above lying about stuff that they think folks won't notice, or that they think don't matter.

Pixiedustmaker

Bloggers... why? Why not the constructions workers that made it all possible?

Some folks thought the ride would be uber-popular, some folks like me thought it would sink like a stone. Not sure what the ride counts/first impressions of guests are, but I think this was a move to win over the bloggers.

I think that the construction workers should have gotten something special, like a small party after the project with top brass or something like that.

Pixiedustmaker

Neat idea, but why not wait until the official opening? Why do that on a random Tuesday during cast previews?

They want to influence the influencers, get bloggers to write positive reviews of the ride, and by opening day they'll have some of the press on their side. They want the bloggers to feel like they are "part of the magic", and that the ride is part of this great big wonderful legacy and they have to defend it, or at least not bash it. I bet that some of the bloggers then got their first ride on Mermaid. Maybe because it was a "special day" it will improve their perceptions of the ride.

The Empress Lilly

Bloggers... why? Why not the constructions workers that made it all possible?
Wait...those are all bloggers? I missed that. I didn't read the accompanying article.

That changes everything then. Cheapens the event. Just WDW letting its no-life social media followers feel like they are part of the magic - a magic, as WDW itself all too well realises, that was build on rides and values that have long been vandalised into oblivion, mere memories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom