2019 Box Office tracking

jt04

Lion King passes BatB North America total today. Likely will take the adjusted total soon.

They didn't announce many future projects today so I expect that may have something to do with the success of the live action slate this summer. Stay tuned.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
We're starting the ramp up into the busier Fall season, and also some early awards watch talk.

On the the Disney side there's not any movement and likely wont bee until October with Maleficent 2 (whose tickets went on sale today).

It: Chapter Two propelled current #3 Warner Bros into the domestic billion dollar club this year and they have a number of other potential money makers in the coming months with 8 more releases this year, with festival wins for Joker, against current #2 Universal's smaller slate of 6. With less than 68m between the 2 studios and the reasonably strong staying power of It, I would expect them to swap soon.

While the bonus content for #4 Sony's Spider-Man:Far from Home did accomplish a good boost, it did drop back to expected levels. Sony also has 6 more releases for the year, including the next in the Jumanji series, that may make up for low performances earlier in the year.

Trailing quite a bit at #5 is Lionsgate with it's big hit of the year with John Wick. They also have 6 more releases this year but they are a bit more in the awards silo than the blockbuster silo. The Rambo movie or Knives Out may prove a draw though.

seascape

It's September 15 and Disney reached 8.5 billion at the international box office. They are just 2.5 billion away from hitting 11 billion with Malisifant, Frozen 2 and Star Wars atill on deck. I still believe they will reach 11 billion and more by the end of the year.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Disney currently has about 180 million to reach 3 billion domestic. With average late run holds from Aladdin, Toy Story 4, and Lion King; plus Maleficent 2 capturing about 85% of the first's market they could reach that number just prior to the opening of Frozen 2. While personally my expectations for Maleficent 2 are quite a bit lower than that, in the 65% range, the original Maleficent did quite well for what it was so it's not out of question. At 4 weeks to go I'm just not seeing any early indications of an over-performance.

Even if Maleficent 2 doesn't get Disney to the 3 billion club the first weekend of Frozen 2 will.

It will be curious to see if they can still pull off a 4 billion year. My current (reasonable) calculations end them about 200m short on 12/31, even optimistic numbers fall short of the mark. However, both year enders are highly unpredictable; Frozen 2 could out preform the original and Star Wars 9 is capping a 40+ year fandom. If Disney finds themselves within striking distance of that 4 billion year ... expect some expanded shows or re-releases.

seascape

Disney currently has about 180 million to reach 3 billion domestic. With average late run holds from Aladdin, Toy Story 4, and Lion King; plus Maleficent 2 capturing about 85% of the first's market they could reach that number just prior to the opening of Frozen 2. While personally my expectations for Maleficent 2 are quite a bit lower than that, in the 65% range, the original Maleficent did quite well for what it was so it's not out of question. At 4 weeks to go I'm just not seeing any early indications of an over-performance.

Even if Maleficent 2 doesn't get Disney to the 3 billion club the first weekend of Frozen 2 will.

It will be curious to see if they can still pull off a 4 billion year. My current (reasonable) calculations end them about 200m short on 12/31, even optimistic numbers fall short of the mark. However, both year enders are highly unpredictable; Frozen 2 could out preform the original and Star Wars 9 is capping a 40+ year fandom. If Disney finds themselves within striking distance of that 4 billion year ... expect some expanded shows or re-releases.
I agree with your analysis. It is an amazing year. 3.8 billion domestically and over 11 billion worldwide.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
I forgot in the earlier update:

Avengers: Endgame officially ended it's 20 week run on September 12th, bringing in $858,373,000 domestically, $1,937,901,401 internationally, and $2,796,274,401 world wide.

Just under 6.6 million over the previous reigning champ Avatar. As I hilariously proposed earlier, it did not capture either the domestic box office record (held by The Force Awakens) or the international record (still held by Avatar). Somehow that brings me humor, don't know why but it does!

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
While Disney is waiting for it's next release: Fox finally crested the 300m mark with the unfortunately mediocre start for Ad Astra.

#s 2 and 3, Warner Bros. and Universal are poised for a swap with barely 3m between them, and WB's It 2 likely to continue it's take.

All 10 of our top studios are now over 100m domestic with Focus's release of the Downton Abbey movie.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Warner Bros. has retaken the #2 spot with the help of Joker, which is poised to take the October opening record from Venom with a projected 90-93m weekend.

Not to much movement from anyone else. Next week features wide releases from #5 Lionsgate (Jexi) and #4 Paramount (Gemini Man), however neither are near enough to their next rank for a likely move. But #10 United Artists, having just been passed by Focus with Downton Abbey, has the animated Addams Family just in time for some family friendly Halloween so it's move up it a sure thing.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Lets take a look back at the movies that should be wrapping up their runs in the next month.

Aladdin is in it's 20th week, having passed the billion dollar world wide and with a remaining theater count near 100, this week/weekend could be it's last. It had a really impressive mid run with it's 4th through 11th weeks not falling below a 35% drop, more than half fell near 25% or less. While many feared it didn't start as strong as it could have Aladdin more than broke the spell of disappointing Memorial Day weekend Disney openings.

Toy Story 4, the sequel no one expected, at 16 weeks is also in the billion dollar world wide club. With just under 250 theaters, and having had it's expansion back on Labor Day weekend it likely only has a few more weeks of battery left. It surpassed both the domestic and woldwide takes of Toy Story 3 (about 17m short on the foreign side). It's behind only Incredibles 2 as the biggest Pixar movie.

The Lion King has only surprised a few with blowing pass the 1.5 billion mark world wide. At it's 12th week it's holding strong in over 1000 theaters. It took 75 days for it to fall out of the top 10. It's become the biggest box office of all the "reimaginings" by a wide margin. It's unsure how much is still on the table but it's winding down like most movies so it's likely going to fade off within the next month or so.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Lion King has only surprised a few with blowing pass the 1.5 billion mark world wide.

There were plenty of haters who didn't want the remake and complained bitterly about it hewing too closely to the original and not being expressive enough and the songs not as fully featured and belted like the original. They were all loudly predicting this to be a flop. Such loud antipathy beforehand led quite a few others to expect that it wouldn't do so well.

Same dynamic for Aladdin and Toy Story 4.

All three broke past the vocal internet minority.

The same dynamic for the Dumbo remake, only, the haters can chalk that one up as a win. ;)

Moka

There were plenty of haters who didn't want the remake and complained bitterly about it hewing too closely to the original and not being expressive enough and the songs not as fully featured and belted like the original. They were all loudly predicting this to be a flop. Such loud antipathy beforehand led quite a few others to expect that it wouldn't do so well.

It's a shame because I actually liked it. I kept an extremely open mind with it and didn't try to compare it with the original. While yeah it might've had problems like all movies it felt refreshing to me to see a new version of it.

Tony Perkis

Nobody said TLK would flop. Even it’s most ardent haters, and this very much includes me, correctly predicted it would be a massive behemoth.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Bit of a soft weekend and week for everything.

Maleficent 2 came out with the softest opening of the year for Disney, below even Dumbo (baring Disney Nature's release of course). With only Zombieland 2 as new R rated competition there should have been a slightly better opening. Maleficent was moved up from 2020, swapped with Jungle Cruise, that seems to have been a wise move. While a movie doing badly is ever easy to write off, it's a bit easier when it's wedged into a year between Lion King and Frozen 2.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom