2019 Box Office tracking

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
B+ is a pretty low score. TLJ got A-.

The audience ranking on RT and IMDB is fairly good.

The critics put it at Phatom Menace level.

In the end, the average scores of the SW films made by Lucas is exactly the same as the SW films made by Disney.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Imo Disney completely dropped the ball with Star Wars.

The first movie in the new trilogy is just episode 4 repackaged. I walked out of the theater angry that they waiy D this long and spent this much money just to remix a movie we already had. Add in the switcharoo they pulled with Finn and I was not a happy camper.

The second movie just kinda exists. It further dumps on the Finn character, gets rid of Luke and trashes his character, does strange things with Leia and oddly doesn't advance the plot much. The second film of a trilogy should set up the third but this doesn't at all. It leaves you wondering where the hell this thing is going.

At this point I went from an opening weekend fan to a wait and see fan. They thrown in a Solo movie nobody was clamoring for and follow with a finale with a rehashed villain and from what I'm reading a rushed plot that dumps on the original trilogy.

Why can't they come up with something new?

This is a box office tracking thread. There are already two major threads for the movie for comments on them.

jt04

Boxofficemojo now saying 175.5 domestic opening weekend.

This is an odd weekend as it in some ways extends through Christmas. Tuesday and Wednesday should be included this year IMO. I have decided to wait for those days to avoid the rush and get better seats for the widescreen showing.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Okay folks we're officially in Star Wars season. So this is a quick reminder that this topic is for talking about box office only. Please be kind and take spoiler talk, opinions, or other discussions to their appropriate place. You've all been great and we've had lots of fun in this thread all year so don't blow it now.
Imo Disney completely dropped the ball with Star Wars.

The first movie in the new trilogy is just episode 4 repackaged. I walked out of the theater angry that they waiy D this long and spent this much money just to remix a movie we already had. Add in the switcharoo they pulled with Finn and I was not a happy camper.

The second movie just kinda exists. It further dumps on the Finn character, gets rid of Luke and trashes his character, does strange things with Leia and oddly doesn't advance the plot much. The second film of a trilogy should set up the third but this doesn't at all. It leaves you wondering where the hell this thing is going.

At this point I went from an opening weekend fan to a wait and see fan. They thrown in a Solo movie nobody was clamoring for and follow with a finale with a rehashed villain and from what I'm reading a rushed plot that dumps on the original trilogy.

Why can't they come up with something new?

Well that didn't take long. :rolleyes:

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Apologies. As I haven't seen the last movie I didn't want to enter spoiler threads and I wanted to give a take as to why the box office for this movie isnt where many people think it should be opening weekend.

Is there somewhere to have a more detailed discussion on the box office without having to enter the spoiler thread for a specific movie? I think speaking on why people aren't seeing the movie is rather interesting.
Detailed box office talk is highly encouraged! We're just trying to keep personal opinions on subjective stuff out; which seemed to be where your post was going. Folks are always welcome to say if they think general impressions of a movie is correct or not in their personal case particularly when bringing in numbers on critic or audience reviews and comparisons to other movie's performances. But we try to keep our hot takes on what is right/wrong with the actual movie to a minimum.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
2nd best Christmas ever, the only film ahead is Force Awakens.

The film seems to have better legs than the opening weekend would have indicated. My thought is that some people were dissuaded by the critics reviews, coupled with the hectic end of holiday shopping season, but as word of mouth spread that many people like the film, people started going... It will probably match/surpass TLJ's pace by the end of this weekend, but I don't think we will have a clear indicator to how well the film will do overall until Jan 6.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The film seems to have better legs than the opening weekend would have indicated. My thought is that some people were dissuaded by the critics reviews, coupled with the hectic end of holiday shopping season, but as word of mouth spread that many people like the film, people started going... It will probably match/surpass TLJ's pace by the end of this weekend, but I don't think we will have a clear indicator to how well the film will do overall until Jan 6.

It's got legs and it knows how to use them...

1577463310715.png

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
If my local small cinema is anything to go by it has great legs, I pretty much have had 0 luck in going to see it for the 2nd time as every showing has been pretty much full and any seats left are really rubbish ones right at the front.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
While it's to early to tell what the trajectory of this latest Star Wars will actually land on (typically after the 3rd weekend attrition sets in and the drops and holds are pretty formulaic) it's caught up to where I guessed it would be. In this case just a hair behind where The Last Jedi was at the same # of days in ... only it did it in reverse of my initial prediction of a higher opening weekend and higher drops. It's opening weekend coming in about 8m under my early calculation of 185m started us off rough, but now it's exactly on the 290m for the weekly calculation. This could easily be attributed to how holidays fell and the week difference in release date. This could be an indicator of better than anticipated legs due to the lower opening weekend. While that may lead to a higher take than The Last Jedi ... I'm still not inclined to lean that way and still think it will ultimately come up short at around 590m-600m with a reasonable run.

On the over all picture the combined Disney+Fox domestic box office has now gone over 4 billion.

mikejs78

Premium Member
While it's to early to tell what the trajectory of this latest Star Wars will actually land on (typically after the 3rd weekend attrition sets in and the drops and holds are pretty formulaic) it's caught up to where I guessed it would be. In this case just a hair behind where The Last Jedi was at the same # of days in ... only it did it in reverse of my initial prediction of a higher opening weekend and higher drops. It's opening weekend coming in about 8m under my early calculation of 185m started us off rough, but now it's exactly on the 290m for the weekly calculation. This could easily be attributed to how holidays fell and the week difference in release date. This could be an indicator of better than anticipated legs due to the lower opening weekend. While that may lead to a higher take than The Last Jedi ... I'm still not inclined to lean that way and still think it will ultimately come up short at around 590m-600m with a reasonable run.

On the over all picture the combined Disney+Fox domestic box office has now gone over 4 billion.
Although it is predicted to overtake TLJs pace this weekend.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
If my local small cinema is anything to go by it has great legs, I pretty much have had 0 luck in going to see it for the 2nd time as every showing has been pretty much full and any seats left are really rubbish ones right at the front.
Scored front row seats for todays 12:45 showing. And still lots of availablity 😛

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

seascape

Disney has had a great year at the box office but it was not a great year for the combined Disney/Fox slate. Because Fox's results were beyond terrible the combined results are about 160 million behind last year. I know there are 2 more days to shrink that number but its impossible to make up anywhere near that amount.

On a worldwide basis, I was wrong on my estimate. I originally thought Disney would reach 12 billlion but then they delayed Artimus Fowl and so I lowered it to 11.5 billion. Well, they will pass the 11 billion dollar mark worldwide but will fall about 4% short of my prediction. I also thought Star Wars would be more front loaded and would reach a billion before the New Year, it won't but it will easily pass that as it has very strong legs.

SJN1279

Not exactly the case...

Frozen did about as expected...

Not so much the latter.
I invite you to read and notice the undertone:

Yes but the writer of that article didn't enjoy Rise of Skywalker, being he was a Last Jedi fan. He actually likes Last Jedi more than Empire Strikes back, which is insanity!!!

Star Wars 9 is showing pretty decent legs, and will cross a billion very shortly. The fandom menace tried to take the movie down, and showed that they have much less power than they thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom