2019 Box Office tracking

jt04

TLK is one of those films that will do VERY well and make tons of money but when you look at it compared to what many expected and look at its drops it will probably take, it won't look THAT impressive. Sometimes there are films that do well but seem to leave $100 million or more on the table domestically due to a few things that could have been corrected. TLK will end up as one of those films. Most people on other boards predicted $650-$700 million domestically (or more). It will probably end up between $560-$580 million.

We won't have a gauge on the holds for a couple more days. IMO the real potential is if it generates a well received sequel or even a trilogy. The foundation is built. Time will tell.

Ripken10

Im thinking 1.2 / 1.4 billion tops for Lion King but even then with the mixed reviews it got that would be impressive.
I kind of find it interesting you only believe it will make 200 to 400 million tops. Beauty and the Beast still 177 million left in it's domestic run and made over 100 million in Japan and over 20 million in Italy, the two markets the Lion King has not opened in yet. Seems like your ceiling of 400 million might be a little low. It still has the potential of 200 million in US (ceiling) and at least matching that internationally. I think you should raise that ceiling some.

Jedijax719

I'd say that $1.5 billion is the floor for TLK WW. However, it doesn't look like $600 million is possible now. The Monday number was a steep drop from Sunday and reflects a M-Th sub-$40 million week which would be a much bigger week-to-week drop than TS4 and Aladdin saw. And a sub-$40 million third weekend is possible which, a couple of weeks ago, would have been laughed at if anyone mentioned it. I would have pegged it to drop below $40 million in its 4th weekend, not its third.

jt04

I'd say that $1.5 billion is the floor for TLK WW. However, it doesn't look like $600 million is possible now. The Monday number was a steep drop from Sunday and reflects a M-Th sub-$40 million week which would be a much bigger week-to-week drop than TS4 and Aladdin saw. And a sub-$40 million third weekend is possible which, a couple of weeks ago, would have been laughed at if anyone mentioned it. I would have pegged it to drop below $40 million in its 4th weekend, not its third.

Still tracking ahead of BatB. Not seeing how it does under 40. It really is the only summer movie tent pole left with significant screens this weekend.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What a year so far...

Ripken10

Random stat - Disney as of Sunday, Disney's 2019 box office is the 3rd largest by any studio (with nearly 5 months to go). It's lead over second (currently at 1.76 billion) would be the 18th largest single year for any studio (meaning the amount of money it has made more than the second most studio this year would be one of the largest single years in box office history, with 5 months still to go). That lead will shrink now that Disney has no new releases till October and the other studios each have several releases. Universal is in second now for the year, and is making slightly more on a daily basis, plus they have several new releases come out before Disney's next new release.

seascape

Random stat - Disney as of Sunday, Disney's 2019 box office is the 3rd largest by any studio (with nearly 5 months to go). It's lead over second (currently at 1.76 billion) would be the 18th largest single year for any studio (meaning the amount of money it has made more than the second most studio this year would be one of the largest single years in box office history, with 5 months still to go). That lead will shrink now that Disney has no new releases till October and the other studios each have several releases. Universal is in second now for the year, and is making slightly more on a daily basis, plus they have several new releases come out before Disney's next new release.
Yes, Disney is blowing everyone else out of the water this year. But, Fox's domestic resilts are horrible. They are 66.5% or $636.3 million behind their box office revenue from 2018. Please note, I prefer using parent company numbers. In otherwords Universal's numbers including Focus Features and WB including New Line. As of Sunday, Disney's domestic box office is essentially equal yo the combined WB/NL, Universal/Focus Features and Sony. It won't stay that way for the rest of the year but if Fox's box office were added it may end the year close to those 3.

Darkprime

Thats both impressive and scary at the same time. While other studios rushed out their direct to consumer platforms they forgot about the domestic box office. Their biggest failure was letting Disney buy Fox and gain so much dominance. So many of these streaming services will fail and the other studios will have to fall back on good old theatrical releases but it will.be too late by then. Disneys market share wont let any other competition thrive. Disney played the game and won.

While Disney gets the best of both worlds. Disney+ will crush the other streaming services. And they get to own the box office. The other studios will fail because they tried to rush into a new trend but forgot about the domestic box office.

I wouldnt be surprised if other studios start lining up to sell to Disney tbh. For whatever reason when a studio or franchise is acquired by Disney it elevates them to new heights. The Disney brand is loved an trusted by fans around the world thats why their movies are so successful. Brand trust is something money cant buy it has to be earned. I think this is something WB and Universal fail to realize. I think WB learnt a tough lesson this summer. Big IP doesnt always mean instant success ala detective pikachu and Godzilla both movies which btw should have 1 billion dollar hits but wernt because Wb just doesnt have that brand trust like Disney does.

Last edited:

seascape

After Sundays final numbers Disney was getting close to $8 billion worldwide. Today is the quarterly earnings report and conferrnce call. Based on the US China exchage rate change yesterday all companies doung business in China have to deal with what will be major declines in their Chinese businesses when concerted to dollars. The Shanghai Disneyland ticket prices in dollars just fell bigtime. So did movie tickets. Now, what can Disney announce on the movie side to counter act the bad news? Report today is the day they broke the $8 billion mark. The exchange rate will have an effect of the remaining 3 Disney movies of the year as it will with every studio.

Now, on the themeparks. Tickets and cast members salaries are in yuan's. That is good news and bad news. The rides and attractions made and designed abroad are more expensive in yuan's, salaries stay the same but profits fall in terms of the dollar. This hurts Disney, Universal and Dix Flags that all have parks in China. Disney and Universal get the double whammy of lower revenue from movies.

jt04

Just to add some perspective, Universal, WB, and Sony (2, 3 and 4) combined have made less than Disney this year. Good chance that will still be the case at the end of the year.

seascape

It wasn't that long ago Disney was way behind last years number. But now they are within 39 million of their 2018 domestic box office through September. They probably won't quite make it this weekend but they will be close. Most likely early next week is when they reach it.

As for the international numbers, Bob Iger confirmed on Tuesday that Disney did in fact reach the 8 billion worldwide mark. It is highly unlikely they will reach 9 billion before Malisifant 2 comes out but they should reach it before Frozen 2 and so 11 billion for the year looks likely. The only worry I have is China because of the exchange rate. Now if only Fox could do better.

SJN1279

With No Avengers, Star Wars, Toy Story, Lion King, or Frozen, I think Disney is in for a steep decline in 2020. When you are on top, there is only one way to go, and that is down.

I'm surprised they didn't spread out their huge movies a little better.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
With No Avengers, Star Wars, Toy Story, Lion King, or Frozen, I think Disney is in for a steep decline in 2020. When you are on top, there is only one way to go, and that is down.

I'm surprised they didn't spread out their huge movies a little better.

The number of Live Action Remakes has significantly been ramped up. Given that they're usually billion dollar bingos, it won't be that steep a drop. Also, Disney's slapping Fox studios around to be more commercially successful.

Also, I don't think Disney's in this for Box Office records every year... at least certainly not for the next three years as D+ becomes their top priority to eventually turn huge profits and dominate the market. Iger's been very clear about diverting movie studios resources toward D+, so, he doesn't care to keep topping their own records every year.

Disney wants D+ to dominate streaming/cable in the same fashioned it just dominated the cinema market.

If you were forced to pick only one industry to survive in a life and death match, would you pick the cinema or home streaming?

Now you know why there is a new priority.

Jedijax719

The number of Live Action Remakes has significantly been ramped up. Given that they're usually billion dollar bingos, it won't be that steep a drop. Also, Disney's slapping Fox studios around to be more commercially successful.

Also, I don't think Disney's in this for Box Office records every year... at least certainly not for the next three years as D+ becomes their top priority to eventually turn huge profits and dominate the market. Iger's been very clear about diverting movie studios resources toward D+, so, he doesn't care to keep topping their own records every year.

Disney wants D+ to dominate streaming/cable in the same fashioned it just dominated the cinema market.

If you were forced to pick only one industry to survive in a life and death match, would you pick the cinema or home streaming?

Now you know why there is a new priority.
Only Mulan is scheduled for next year. Disney's slate so far includes
Onward
Mulan
Black Widow
Artimus Fowl
Souls
Jungle Cruise
Eternals

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Only Mulan is scheduled for next year. Disney's slate so far includes
Onward
Mulan
Black Widow
Artimus Fowl
Souls
Jungle Cruise
Eternals

There's also Cruella, The One and Only Ivan, and an animated feature.

I thought they were further along with The Little Mermaid and Hunchback, but it's likely they'll be for 2021.

So, yeah, much leaner next year and not as many Live Action Remakes as I thought.

But there's also Fox's slate which will be more and more considered as much Disney as Pixar or Marvel.

January 10, 2020[12]Underwaterco-production with Chernin Entertainment
February 14, 2020[12]The King's Manco-production with Marv Studios[14]
February 21, 2020[12]Call of the Wildco-production with 20th Century Fox Animation and 3 Arts Entertainment
April 3, 2020[12]The New Mutantsco-production with Genre Films, Marvel Entertainment and Sunswept Entertainment
June 2020Fear Streetco-production with Chernin Entertainment[15]
July 3, 2020[12]Free Guyco-production with 21 Laps Entertainment, Maximum Effort, Berlanti Productions
July 17, 2020[12]Bob's Burgers: The Movieas 20th Century Fox Animation; co-production with Wilo Productions, Buck & Millie Productions, and Bento Box Entertainment
October 2, 2020[12]Death on the Nilesequel to Murder on the Orient Express
November 6, 2020Ron's Gone Wrongco-production with 20th Century Fox Animation and Locksmith Animation[16]
December 18, 2020[12]West Side Storyco-production with Amblin Entertainment
2020[12]The Woman in the Windowco-production with Fox 2000 Pictures and Scott Rudin Productions
Final Fox 2000 Pictures film

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom