11 Night Mediterranean Cruise – Mouse style!

11 nights in the Mediterranean!! With the Mouse!!:sohappy:

I got a last minute travel agent special too great to pass up! Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Disney cruises. This was my fifth! When this deal came out, I was scrambling to make it work.

Dh couldn’t get off work for two weeks, but he was beyond sweet and told me to go ahead! I knew the kids would love it too, but there was no way Ds15 could miss two weeks of high school. Dd12 however, no problem! I talked to Ds who insisted he could go at first. After a week passed, I decided to talk to him again.

The conversation went like this –

“So, about this cruise…” – Me
“Mmhmm” – Him
“You know there’s no way you can miss two weeks of school, don’t you?” –Me
“Yeah, I know.” – Him
“So you won’t be bitter if I go?” – Me, sounding hopeful
“No, I guess not.” – Him
“Would you be bitter if I took your sister?” – Me
After an eternal silence – “No, but you’re going to have to buy me off.” – Him (obviously my child):lookaroun

Now, who else to bring? My parents were tempted, but Mom felt like it was someone else’s turn since she took advantage of the last travel agent special cruise with me. I started talking to friends, and one, Debbie, didn’t hesitate, she was in! She didn’t mind taking her dd14 out of school for this kind of opportunity. And bonus, she has a ds17 who could commiserate with my ds15 while we were gone. We talked to the girl’s teachers and got the green light. Woo hoo!

My parents were still toying around with going. I checked the military specials and there was a great one. They got a category 5, verandah, for an 11 night cruise for $2300. Total. For two people. :eek: Pretty amazing!
I realized my in-laws wouldn’t want to pass that up either, so they booked a verandah too.

Here we all are. These photos are your teasers for different parts of the trip!

Dd and I:
2MedCruiseMalta119.jpg

Debbie and her dd:
3MedCruise017.jpg

My parents:
5MedCruise102.jpg

My inlaws:
7MedCruise274.jpg

The scene was set, we were ready to plan! And we only had about 6 weeks to do it!

About three weeks before the cruise, we got our room assignment. A verandah!! I couldn’t believe it! With all of my cruises, we’d never splurged for one before. We’ve always been happy enough with our portholes. I was crazy excited to try a verandah, though. What a perfect cruise to have one on!:sohappy:

About a week before we left, the Icelandic volcano started to erupt, shutting down European airspace for days. We were flying directly into Barcelona, which thankfully wasn’t immediately shut down. I was pretty worried we weren’t going to make it, and incredibly thankful we purchased trip insurance. I DID NOT want to use it, but it sure provided some piece of mind.

I have to tell you, of all the reasons I thought we might have to use our trip insurance, illness, flight delays, etc., a volcano in Iceland never crossed my mind!:lol:

I had also devised about 13 alternate plans to get there, including – flying into Madrid if it was still open, flying anywhere in Europe we could get to, flying into Morocco and taking the train/ferry/train to Barcelona, and meeting the cruise at any port we could get to.

Well, thankfully, about two days before we left, everything started to open again. Woo hoo, indeed!

After several days spent researching ports and excursions, little bit of shopping, and lots of packing, the big day had finally arrived!

eagles

:lol: I was just teasing her. I would call her more of a fashion rebel! :D

Ooh, I love the Africa pictures, Tammy! How fabulous! I so love how you talked your way into the camel pictures! And tell Ally that I'm sure a camel couldn't eat two girls in one sitting! :lol:

And, Holly, we totally are going to have to book a med cruise by the time Tammy's trip report is over!

don't forget me jenn!!!!!!

tammy those pics are amazing. add me to the list of camel pic fan. those character outfits are so cute.

i just told my hubby i am going on a med cruise. :ROFLOL:

cdunbar

tammy those pics are amazing. add me to the list of camel pic fan. those character outfits are so cute.

I told my best friend that was next summer's vacation, she was very difficult to convince...it took her a whole 2 minutes to say ok....:ROFLOL:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I showed my friend what you have done thus far of your trip report and I have her just about convinced to do it around this time next year, and possibly go to a few other places....so I am SO excited to see the rest!:sohappy:

Thank you cdunbar! I'm glad you and your friend like it!

:lol: I was just teasing her. I would call her more of a fashion rebel! :D

Ooh, I love the Africa pictures, Tammy! How fabulous! I so love how you talked your way into the camel pictures! And tell Ally that I'm sure a camel couldn't eat two girls in one sitting! :lol:

And, Holly, we totally are going to have to book a med cruise by the time Tammy's trip report is over!

I'll tell Ally! She'll be relieved. :lol:

Can I comeee? I feel you guys would be a good time!

I want to come too!!

I've been on cruises , but never Disney cruises. I must say that your trip reports make me so jealous. Some day...

You'd love it Jeff!

I'm sure Rick went for that, Louella!:lol:

I told my best friend that was next summer's vacation, she was very difficult to convince...it took her a whole 2 minutes to say ok....:ROFLOL:

Two whole minutes? That was rough!:lol:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Wednesday, April 28th, Day 7 – Naples and Pompeii

Look at the first sight that greeted us from our verandah this morning! Mt. Vesuvius!

4MedCruise32_filtered.jpg

We ate an early breakfast at Topsiders today and got off the ship early.

4MedCruise36.jpg

We declined all cab drivers (including one who followed us literally for 5 minutes with us repeating no over and over) and walked to the train station. It was supposed to be a 20 minute walk, but took us around 35. We stopped a few times for directions. We were behind an older couple from our cruise doing the same thing. We did see some neat parts of Naples.

4MedCruise39.jpg

The train station was fairly confusing, but with two other families from the cruise and some helpful Italians, we made it on to the correct train.

We decided that anything in Italy that remains still long enough, will eventually be covered in grafitti. It was everywhere!

4MedCruise41_filtered.jpg

4MedCruise44_filtered.jpg

The train ride to Pompeii was standing room only. Luckily we were only on for about 20 minutes.

You can see how excited dd was about standing:

4MedCruise47_filtered.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Pompeii was huge. Just stunningly, huge. There is no way you can cover it in a day. We spent several hours there though. It was super hot in the sun and dirt, and I gladly paid 3 Euros for a coke zero at some point.

You can see Mt. Vesuvius in the background of a few of these:

4MedCruise48.jpg

4MedCruise57.jpg

4MedCruise58.jpg

4MedCruise60.jpg

4MedCruise61.jpg

4MedCruise66.jpg

4MedCruise70.jpg

4MedCruise72.jpg

4MedCruise77.jpg

4MedCruise85.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
4MedCruise86.jpg

4MedCruise89.jpg

4MedCruise87.jpg

4MedCruise92.jpg

4MedCruise98.jpg

4MedCruise99.jpg

We took the train back and started the long walk through the city. We toyed with taking a bus, but decided to hoof it. By the time we got back on board, we’d been walking for about 7 hours straight. We were earning our meals!

We ate a VERY late lunch (as in two hours before dinner) on deck 9 and went swimming again.

We ate dinner at Animators, and saw Oceans in the big theater. The part about the sea turtles was too traumatic that late in the day!:eek::lol:

We headed for bed right after. We had a long day ahead of us tomorrow - Rome!:sohappy:

sweetpee_1993

Oh WOW, Tammy! I'm just dying!

The camel pic is awesome. So what's with all the blue doors? Is there a reason for that? I'd be a rebel, too. I'd paint mine plaid or paizley or something. Maybe a big Mickey on one door & a big cabbage patch "Mother Cabbage" on the other. LOL! I'm with Holly, the Daisy pics are my favs. Daisy's my girl! Pompeii. Wow. Incredible. And now you're gonna do Rome! Ugh! That's just beyond words! ROME! **squeals**

Whenever this big group trip goes down y'all can count me in. I'll hock my whole stinkin' doll collection & run off for some Disney med cruise awesomeness!!!! Well, okay, maybe not *all* of them (it'd break my poor little heart) but you get the drift. :lol:

Can't wait for more! :sohappy:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Only if I come too!

This is great stuff, Tammy. You all are beautiful. :)

Thank you, Nicole!:)

Oh WOW, Tammy! I'm just dying!

The camel pic is awesome. So what's with all the blue doors? Is there a reason for that? I'd be a rebel, too. I'd paint mine plaid or paizley or something. Maybe a big Mickey on one door & a big cabbage patch "Mother Cabbage" on the other. LOL! I'm with Holly, the Daisy pics are my favs. Daisy's my girl! Pompeii. Wow. Incredible. And now you're gonna do Rome! Ugh! That's just beyond words! ROME! **squeals**

Whenever this big group trip goes down y'all can count me in. I'll hock my whole stinkin' doll collection & run off for some Disney med cruise awesomeness!!!! Well, okay, maybe not *all* of them (it'd break my poor little heart) but you get the drift. :lol:

Can't wait for more! :sohappy:

Really strict neighborhool covenants?:eek::lol: I don't know the reason actually! I'm sure I've read it at some point but it's escaping me.

What a fun cruise we could all have together! A wdwmagic meet on a Med cruise!!:sohappy:

meeskamickey

More, more, more, PLEASE!!! I love reading your trip reports! The pictures are amazing. Your daughter is too cute!!! I've loved all the pics so far...keep them coming!

Coree

Pompeii is AMAZING and I'm totally looking forward to Rome. Count me in on this group cruise and you can take turns holding mine and Louella's hands on the flight over. :eek: I guess I'd have to bring Vic along too though. :lol:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
More, more, more, PLEASE!!! I love reading your trip reports! The pictures are amazing. Your daughter is too cute!!! I've loved all the pics so far...keep them coming!

Thank you meeska!! I'm working on it!

Pompeii is AMAZING and I'm totally looking forward to Rome. Count me in on this group cruise and you can take turns holding mine and Louella's hands on the flight over. :eek: I guess I'd have to bring Vic along too though. :lol:

I was wondering how you and Louella were going to handle that flight!:lol:

eagles

Thank you meeska!! I'm working on it!

I was wondering how you and Louella were going to handle that flight!:lol:

well in all honesty, hubby would be ok with me doing the cruise. he would have no desire for it at all however, since in his navy days he has done more cruises then he wants to remember. :ROFLOL:

so any time you all want to take that cruise count me in and i am there. i think we should plan one of those cruises! just plan one out at least a year or more so i can save my money for that one.

now as far as the flight over goes, i will be visiting my doc ahead of time, i am sure sleeping the whole way over will be ok in my book. :D although one of you must be on my flight to make sure i wake up once we land. :ROFLOL:

tammy love the pics, love the trip report! more, more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom