News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

JoeCamel

Tron also suffers from an awful lot of nothing post final brakes.

This project is wrong for the MK for so many reasons but hey. coaster.
Maybe they look at it as a progression Dumbo<Barnstormer<Tron<Space. You have a ride for all phases of your life lined up from left to right looking from the hub

Last edited:

MurphyJoe

Tron and Velocicoaster basically have the same ride duration but Velocicoaster actually feels longer due to the inversions while Tron has a lot of mid brakes.

From the videos, Velocicoaster starts strong, stays strong and ends strong. Tron felt like it was building up to something more than delivered and ended prematurely. Or the coaster section would be fine in Tron if Disney had included a few dark ride scenes between coaster parts. In some ways Tron reminds me of how Universal's Mummy would be if it was the coaster parts only with a launch shortly after loading, but with more elaborate sets.

JoeCamel

From the videos, Velocicoaster starts strong, stays strong and ends strong. Tron felt like it was building up to something more than delivered and ended prematurely. Or the coaster section would be fine in Tron if Disney had included a few dark ride scenes between coaster parts. In some ways Tron reminds me of how Universal's Mummy would be if it was the coaster parts only with a launch shortly after loading, but with more elaborate sets.
I would argue what you see from the Velocicoaster will be miles above the Tron scenery. I love riding Hulk and Hagrids at night.

Jrb1979

Would you say an expensive, high draw, low capacity indoor coaster next to an existing indoor coaster in the worlds most visited theme park is what’s needed?
No but I think they should do something with the Stitch building instead. Put Tron in Epcot in Future world as it fits better then Guardians. If anything put an S&S space shot in Trons place.

trainplane3

No but I think they should do something with the Stitch building instead. Put Tron in Epcot in Future world as it fits better then Guardians. If anything put an S&S space shot in Trons place.
...a flipping space shot? As if sightlines aren't being wrecked enough let's stick a giant pole, on a berm, with lovely views of ugly building roofs. Too tall and it's ugly, too short and it's a complete waste of the attraction.

It's literally one of the most generic attractions you could possibly name.

Jrb1979

...a flipping space shot? As if sightlines aren't being wrecked enough let's stick a giant pole, on a berm, with lovely views of ugly building roofs. Too tall and it's ugly, too short and it's a complete waste of the attraction.

It's literally one of the most generic attractions you could possibly name.
It's better then hiding steel track inside a warehouse.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I feel like TRON would have been a good addition to DHS, on the open plot there. MK/Epcot is not the right spot for it but hey, I'm just a message boarder.

UNCgolf

More dark rides isn't what's needed. That's most of Disney rides are

Which is exactly why more are needed. Heavily themed story-based rides are Disney's market. It doesn't make sense for them to chase another segment that they absolutely cannot win.

They're never going to compete with other parks in roller coasters. Building a coaster may attract some new coaster enthusiasts once or twice, but they're going to gravitate back to Cedar Fair and other places that are full of coasters. Most regional Six Flags dwarf WDW in terms of roller coasters.

That's not to say they shouldn't ever build any coasters; it's fine to have a few. But trying to attract coaster fans is a losing battle for them. It just doesn't make much business sense to build huge ones (and certainly doesn't make sense for them to put in something like a space shot) because it won't be much of a draw.

Disney is different than most other parks around the world. Whether that's good or bad is personal preference (you clearly would prefer it be more like most other parks), but it's nice to have a place like Disney that focuses on different experiences from your standard park.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Which is exactly why more are needed. Heavily themed story-based rides are Disney's market. It doesn't make sense for them to chase another segment that they absolutely cannot win.

They're never going to compete with other parks in roller coasters. Building a coaster may attract some new coaster enthusiasts once or twice, but they're going to gravitate back to Cedar Fair and other places that are full of coasters. Most regional Six Flags dwarf WDW in terms of roller coasters.

That's not to say they shouldn't ever build any coasters; it's fine to have a few. But trying to attract coaster fans is a losing battle for them; it doesn't make much business sense for them to build huge ones (and certainly doesn't make sense for them to put in something like a space shot) because it won't be much of a draw.

I don't really understand why you're so desperate to see Disney change to be more like almost every other park in the world. It's good to be different.
I don't see why they couldn't build a coaster like Velocicoaster. It's themed well and is intense. I don't really understand why they can't have a bit of both. Why can't they build more thrilling high themed rides? One of the best attraction that fits in that category was Extraterrestrial.

aliceismad

A space shot in Magic Kingdom? 😢 I could see it in random carnival land, I mean Pixar Pier/Paradise Gardens, at DCA.

There is so much potential for the Stich building space. I'd hate to see it used on a ride that you can get at any Six Flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom