News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

aliceismad

This argument drives me nuts.

You: How dare you want a "Cheeseburger" for lunch this is a gourmet restaurant. You tasteless heathens need to stick to McDonald's!!!"

Me: "But I want a Wagyu Beef burger with Maytag Bleu Cheese, caramelized onions, sherry grilled Portobello, and garlic aioli with a side of duck fat fried Parmesan Truffle Fries".

You: "Too bad. Eat your Big Mac and shut up."
Are you likening WDW to gourmet and thrill rides to McDonald's? See in my mind, neither is "better" than the other. They're more like different types of cuisines. You can have a fantastic park full of thrill rides, innovative rides, and other things. You can also have a crappy park that doesn't invest in interesting experiences and has cookie-cutter rides.

Disney is the same. They can choose to be at the top of their game or the bottom. Tron seems to be a solid 5ish or so, I would say. I'm sure many here would say FEA is more akin to frozen chicken nuggets than wagyu beef burger.

If your kid only wants to eat Food X, they may never be happy if you take them to Food Y. It's not Food Y Restaurant's job to add Food X to the menu if they don't want to, and doing so may lessen the quality of their product. Universal has done a good job of forming a fusion between a Six Flags and a Disney experience, but they still skew toward a core audience that differs from Disney.

rle4lunch

I get it. It's not highly themed its not a good ride. Sorry for ever bringing it up. I didn't think Disney fans had an elitist attitude til being on this board.

I personally don't see an issue with putting more thrilling rides into Disney. Make it something for everyone. All their thrill rides are just meh.

Lol, you've obviously never scrolled FB DVC pages. Talk about 1st world problems. I've never seen such a mix of complete pompousness and at the same time cluelessness on any level. One person will post about water pressure being too good in a resort, so they'll never stay there again (i'm quoting here, "it blew my nipple off!") 10 seconds later another person will ask for recommendations on where they should eat, because they've got allergy x... (hey, how about taking 5 seconds and searching the WdW app or website???).

Disneyhead'71

Are you likening WDW to gourmet and thrill rides to McDonald's? See in my mind, neither is "better" than the other. They're more like different types of cuisines. You can have a fantastic park full of thrill rides, innovative rides, and other things. You can also have a crappy park that doesn't invest in interesting experiences and has cookie-cutter rides.

Disney is the same. They can choose to be at the top of their game or the bottom. Tron seems to be a solid 5ish or so, I would say. I'm sure many here would say FEA is more akin to frozen chicken nuggets than wagyu beef burger.

If your kid only wants to eat Food X, they may never be happy if you take them to Food Y. It's not Food Y Restaurant's job to add Food X to the menu if they don't want to, and doing so may lessen the quality of their product. Universal has done a good job of forming a fusion between a Six Flags and a Disney experience, but they still skew toward a core audience that differs from Disney.
Well, telling someone in a Disney forum that 'Oh you like rollercoasters? That is what Six Flags is for. You'll love it there.' Is akin to saying "McDonald's is more fitting to your taste, or lack there of.".

No one is asking for Disney to build Top Thrill Dragster. Just a few more rides that move slightly faster than a park bench. More stuff like ToT, Everest, and RnR.

BrianLo

Agreed. Future World is dumb... Tron needs to go in the China Pavilion because that's where the Portal to the Grid is now located. #Storytelling

Non-sarcastically, I think what everyone is actually asking for is Magic Kingdom's Indy Equivalent. Which is both thrilling, but a high capacity dark ride and not a total retread of anything already in the park.

lazyboy97o

Well, telling someone in a Disney forum that 'Oh you like rollercoasters? That is what Six Flags is for. You'll love it there.' Is akin to saying McDonald's is more fitting to your taste, or lack there of.".

No one is asking for Disney to build Top Thrill Dragster. Just a few more rides that move slightly faster than a park bench.
Not when one outright states a preference for big coasters, Six Flags and Cedar Fair.

UNCgolf

Well, telling someone in a Disney forum that 'Oh you like rollercoasters? That is what Six Flags is for. You'll love it there.' Is akin to saying "McDonald's is more fitting to your taste, or lack there of.".

No one is asking for Disney to build Top Thrill Dragster. Just a few more rides that move slightly faster than a park bench. More stuff like ToT, Everest, and RnR.

I don't think anyone said or even suggested that Disney shouldn't ever build rides like Everest or ToT. The point was that Disney should be focusing on building highly themed experiences (those attractions are) and not giant coasters like the Incredible Hulk that are barely themed at all in an effort to simply add thrills. It's almost impossible to build a gigantic, intense coaster that's also highly themed..

GimpYancIent

I don't think anyone said or even suggested that Disney shouldn't ever build rides like Everest or ToT. The point was that Disney should be focusing on building highly themed experiences (those attractions are) and not giant coasters like the Incredible Hulk that are barely themed at all in an effort to simply add thrills. It's almost impossible to build a gigantic, intense coaster that's also highly themed..
There can be more to a ride (experience) than simply experiencing high "G" forces.

matt9112

it’s an exact clone, turned sideways. Find one person that says otherwise (besides you).

and you clearly have a lot to learn about the world outside of the US (like most Americans) and what Disney parks in those countries are like. Visit them all multiple times (like me) and get back to me.

Until then, keep enjoying the worst space mountain and pirates on the planet.

I mean let me know when to pack my bags oh wise world traveling master of attractions.

aliceismad

I mean, they are building Tron and GOTG. I did say I would prefer a dark ride to a coaster in general, but dark rides also don't have to be kiddie rides like Peter Pan. And now that I think about it, Tron probably could be considered a dark ride or at least an enclosed coaster akin to Space Mountain.

Everest is a fantastic ride, and I'd love to see Disney take on more rides with that balance of escapism and thrill. But I don't think any of the rides at Disney could really be described as high-thrill. Maybe RnRC? Even California Screamin/Incredicoaster is pretty tame compared with anything a real thrill seeker would enjoy.

Elsewhere in the thread was a discussion of adding something like Velocicoaster at Disney, and while personally I think it looks like it will be a pretty cool ride, I don't see it as being super well-themed or immersive in the way that I would hope a Disney ride would be. There are reasons why Dinoland and some other areas are not well-loved by many Disney fans.

Disneyhead'71

Not when one outright states a preference for big coasters, Six Flags and Cedar Fair.
I mean, if ALL they are looking for is record breaking big steel, then yeah, Cedar Fair is where they need to be (I would be hard pressed to recommend Six Flags to anyone for any reason). But most folks are more nuanced than that.

I love big steel. I also love highly themed environs. But for me, it is not about "immersion". It is about coherent eye candy. I actually LOVE seeing the steel tracks AND a plethora of eye candy. Coaster fans can appreciate sexy steel and theming. I love this drawing a fan did.

UNCgolf

Elsewhere in the thread was a discussion of adding something like Velocicoaster at Disney, and while personally I think it looks like it will be a pretty cool ride, I don't see it as being super well-themed or immersive in the way that I would hope a Disney ride would be. There are reasons why Dinoland and some other areas are not well-loved by many Disney fans.

This is the thing.

It's not about whether it's a good or bad ride. I'm sure the Velocicoaster will be a great ride. But that doesn't mean it would be a great ride for Disney -- it's all about whether it fits the area and the market. As I've said, you really can't theme a large coaster like Velocicoaster to Disney standards without enclosing the whole thing in a box, which is neither feasible nor advisable. It would always seem out of place at the current WDW parks, both for how it would detract from the theming of the surrounding area (hard to suspend disbelief that you're on another planet at Pandora, for example, if there's a giant roller coaster over your head) and because of how the ride itself can really only have light theming. You're not going to feel like you're in a different location or immersed in any kind of story while on one.

Again, that's not a problem -- it can be a great ride without those things. It has nothing to do with the overall quality of the ride in a vacuum; it's all about the fit for the park. Disney could build a new gate that focused on coasters and do whatever they wanted there without any complaints from me, but I'm pretty sure that will never happen.

Disneyhead'71

This is the thing.

It's not about whether it's a good or bad ride. I'm sure the Velocicoaster will be a great ride. But that doesn't mean it would be a great ride for Disney -- it's all about whether it fits the area and the market. As I've said, you really can't theme a large coaster like Velocicoaster to Disney standards without enclosing the whole thing in a box, which is neither feasible nor advisable. It would always seem out of place at the current WDW parks, both for how it would detract from the theming of the surrounding area (hard to suspend disbelief that you're on another planet at Pandora, for example, if there's a giant roller coaster over your head) and because of how the ride itself can really only have light theming. You're not going to feel like you're in a different location or immersed in any kind of story while on one.

Again, that's not a problem -- it can be a great ride without those things. It has nothing to do with the overall quality of the ride in a vacuum; it's all about the fit for the park. Disney could build a new gate that focused on coasters and do whatever they wanted there without any complaints from me, but I'm pretty sure that will never happen.
How many people actually believe they walked to another planet?

UNCgolf

How many people actually believe they walked to another planet?

Hopefully no one, but that's not the point.

The point is to create an environment that evokes that feeling, even when you know you haven't actually gone anywhere. A huge coaster overhead completely voids that. There's little reason to bother with elaborate theming at all if it's going to be so obviously broken. That's one of the big reasons people hate the Harmonious barges so much.

You can hide giant coasters back in a corner of the park and keep it out of view from most other areas -- Disney did this to an extent with SDD, although it's obviously not on the same scale as something like Velocicoaster. But it's hard to build a themed environment around something like that.

GimpYancIent

The point is to create an environment that evokes that feeling, even when you know you haven't actually gone anywhere. A huge coaster overhead completely voids that. There's little reason to bother with elaborate theming at all if it's going to be so obviously broken.

That's one of the big reasons people hate the Harmonious barges so much.
Fair point! The "Harmonious barges", simply put, are not very harmonious with anything.

Disneyhead'71

The point is to create an environment that evokes that feeling, even when you know you haven't actually gone anywhere. A huge coaster overhead completely voids that. There's little reason to bother with elaborate theming at all if it's going to be so obviously broken. That's one of the big reasons people hate the Harmonious barges so much.

You can hide giant coasters back in a corner of the park and keep it out of view from most other areas -- Disney did this to an extent with SDD, although it's obviously not on the same scale as something like Velocicoaster. But it's hard to build a themed environment around something like that.
Yeah, I don't mind the Harmonious barges at all.

DisFan: "OMG, the monstrosities are blocking my view of the German Pavilion!!!!!!"

Me: "You know, if you move 10 feet to your left, you will be able to see the German Pavilion"

DisFan: "That's not the point! Disney is ruining my life!"

UNCgolf

Yeah, I don't mind the Harmonious barges at all.

DisFan: "OMG, the monstrosities are blocking my view of the German Pavilion!!!!!!"

Me: "You know, if you move 10 feet to your left, you will be able to see the German Pavilion"

DisFan: "That's not the point! Disney is ruining my life!"

Which is fine. Nothing wrong with them not bothering you but that's just personal preference (although that seems like a pretty serious misrepresentation of the complaints).

Disney has done things a certain way for a long time, and been incredibly successful doing things that way. They've set expectations for their parks based on that way of doing things. They obviously don't have to continue doing things that way (and are already changing, with the barges as one major example), but they'll lose some customers.

They might easily replace them with new customers so it won't matter for their bottom line, but no one should expect people to just happily go along with everything they do and continue to give them money for it. Disney offers an experience that you really can't get anywhere else (Universal is pretty close, but moreso in certain areas than others), so it will be unfortunate if that experience goes away and WDW becomes more like every other park. There'd be little reason for me to go then.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

I've experienced Tron in Shanghai and am actually really glad it's coming to MK. The box can be distracting, but considering Pandora from AK's entrance, Galaxy's Edge from World Drive, and Cosmic Rewind from everywhere, it's hardly the biggest offender among this group.

It doesn't help that to many, Magic Kingdom is somewhat sacred ground, with Space Mountain in particular possessing iconic status (and providing an unbeatable point of comparison in terms of 360-degree themed structures), but for the actual ride experience, I'd easily take Tron.

Maybe one day Space Mountain will get the rebuild it desperately needs, but until then, Tron will make it feel like a joke. Overall, this one's a positive for me.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

BTW, I jumped in here saying that Disney could use some more big boy rides and that they were building 2 as we speak.
Does MK need more big boy rides? They need more people eating attractions. A rebuild of Stitch and a theatre on Main Street would be good examples of such.

I’m not against MK getting a new e-ticket, but it’s a pretty strange choice all around. If we are going to add another IP to Tomorrowland I would vote for wreck it Ralph to take over the speedway. It’s a fun mix of technology and nostalgia that fits current Tomorrowland, is a modern popular IP so that should please Chapek, and it could finally fix the Tomorrowland to fantasyland transition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom