News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
also (and i could be wrong) but that picture is the side, and that area will also have a lot of canopy cover when it is done
The one I quoted above? That area has no canopy.

319F091F-7A46-4E41-801C-DC2E3A3BBB27.jpeg

6EB9A81F-7C77-4632-BC7F-F57CB94B9D4A.jpeg

Last edited:

J4546

gotcha. on a related note, i really love the multileveled curved concreted pathways in shanghai. But it seems like theyre doing a much simpler escalator layout in FL. Or am i wrong there as well, the concept photos show an escaltor/stairs

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah, I could see that potentially working. But that would have been a much bigger project, and I don't think Tron really deserves two attractions and a huge portion of Tomorrowland.
I don’t think tron deserves 1. Ha.

“The canopy does not wrap around the building.”
Don’t worry. The canopy will fix that too. The canopy fixed everything! Including the lack of a canopy!

Jrb1979

I don’t think tron deserves 1. Ha.

Don’t worry. The canopy will fix that too. The canopy fixed everything! Including the lack of a canopy!
The more I see of Tron with its ugly building the more I'm impressed with Velocicoaster. It amazes me how much the Dis defends Tron but puts down Velocicoaster. 🙄

TrainsOfDisney

The more I see of Tron with its ugly building the more I'm impressed with Velocicoaster. It amazes me how much the Dis defends Tron but puts down Velocicoaster. 🙄
Yeah it’s a cluster. Looking at that aerial it just looks like it’s going to be a super long walk to get to the attraction, and it’s going to make a visual cluster of the area including the steam train.

Hopefully they don’t just put the train in a long blank tunnel.

trainplane3

Or on the monorail. Or at the Contemporary. Or BLT. Or on a bus. Or in Storybook Circus.

There’s a reason Space Mountain was built in the same location and designed to be seen from all sides. Has today’s WDI forgotten so much in 50 years?
I miss that. While some parts of the parks can get away with warehouses, a totally themed building is so much nicer.

_caleb

Its no Velocicoaster or Iron Gwazi. Track being visible is not the end all be all.
The only way WDI could more lazy and less creative than building a coaster in a giant box would be leaving an exposed coaster track. Unless the track is somehow themed and/or hidden, it’s just a utilitarian conveyance meant to move a person’s physical body around in the space and exert g-forces.

The difference is the engagement of the imagination.

EricsBiscuit

That's ugly. I would rather see the track like most coasters then see that.
You can’t do the SFX outdoors that they want to do. Also it can operate in rain.
Or on the monorail. Or at the Contemporary. Or BLT. Or on a bus. Or in Storybook Circus.

There’s a reason Space Mountain was built in the same location and designed to be seen from all sides. Has today’s WDI forgotten so much in 50 years?
It would have looked ridiculous for the design they were going for with Space Mountain to have only done partial theming. Tron is a very different design. I just don’t understand why everyone keeps panning this attraction. I have been on it in Shanghai and it is fantastic. I guarantee most people who are criticizing it have not actually experienced it. The sight lines are WORSE in Shanghai and even include enormous power lines. I’m all for good sight lines to the max enter possible INSIDE the theme park. But if worrying about it from OUTSIDE the park prevents a kick posterior attraction from being built, that is not a win.

Jrb1979

You can’t do the SFX outdoors that they want to do. Also it can operate in rain.

It would have looked ridiculous for the design they were going for with Space Mountain to have only done partial theming. Tron is a very different design. I just don’t understand why everyone keeps panning this attraction. I have been on it in Shanghai and it is fantastic. I guarantee most people who are criticizing it have not actually experienced it. The sight lines are WORSE in Shanghai and even include enormous power lines. I’m all for good sight lines to the max enter possible INSIDE the theme park. But if worrying about it from OUTSIDE the park prevents a kick posterior attraction from being built, that is not a win.
I wish we had a meh emoji. From all the POVs I have seen its far from impressive. It may have great theming but it's far from a great coaster.

My wish in life is for an intense coaster with Disney level theming.

Jrb1979

Come on, @Jrb1979, you knew I’d just have to respond to all your coaster posts! It’s what we do!
I know you aren't a big coaster fan and most know I am. Can you imagine a coaster like Steel Vengeance with Disney's theming. A coaster that has you off your seat for over 2 minutes then add in Disney level theming would make it the best coaster in the world. I have always felt while Disney does amazing theming for most of their coasters, they severely lack in thrill.

JoeCamel

I know you aren't a big coaster fan and most know I am. Can you imagine a coaster like Steel Vengeance with Disney's theming. A coaster that has you off your seat for over 2 minutes then add in Disney level theming would make it the best coaster in the world. I have always felt while Disney does amazing theming for most of their coasters, they severely lack in thrill.
Never fly in a Disney park

_caleb

I actually agree with this! (Look at us, coming together in agreement!) While I know Disney likes to avoid rides that don’t appeal to the entire family, I think WDI could really make something special if they tried something more “intense.”

The problem is that without heavy modification, a coaster doesn’t lend itself very well to theming. The track itself is probably the biggest challenge. How do you hide the track? Disney typically just hides it in a dark building. And if you don’t hide it, you’ve got to theme it as something other than a roller coaster track. Disney’s already done themes that actually use tracks: mine cars, race cars, runaway trains, bobsleds, etc. But those aren’t going to get you something “extreme” with rolls and loops and such. So that leaves heavy modification of the ride system just to hide it enough to tell as story and make it unique.

Plus, the gigacoasters are too tall (can you imagine Disney trying to build a warehouse to house The Intimidator 305?)!

Jrb1979

I actually agree with this! (Look at us, coming together in agreement!) While I know Disney likes to avoid rides that don’t appeal to the entire family, I think WDI could really make something special if they tried something more “intense.”

The problem is that without heavy modification, a coaster doesn’t lend itself very well to theming. The track itself is probably the biggest challenge. How do you hide the track? Disney typically just hides it in a dark building. And if you don’t hide it, you’ve got to theme it as something other than a roller coaster track. Disney’s already done themes that actually use tracks: mine cars, race cars, runaway trains, bobsleds, etc. But those aren’t going to get you something “extreme” with rolls and loops and such. So that leaves heavy modification of the ride system just to hide it enough to tell as story and make it unique.

Plus, the gigacoasters are too tall (can you imagine Disney trying to build a warehouse to house The Intimidator 305?)!
I agree with what you said. I look at a coaster like Maverick at Cedar Point that's intense and low to the ground that could be themed. I keep hearing how the best parks have something for everyone. IMO that is where Disney lacks. They tried with Extraterrestrial but too many mommy and daddy complained.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom