News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Mike S

They chose it and cloned it??? They didn't design the system or the ride but it does have that "disney touch" evident since NFL
Just like mine train I can't give it a pass.
Disney wanted to make a ride about riding a Lightcycle like in the movies. To make that ride safe with restraints it has certain requirements. It’s not their fault. At least they have a few sit down seats available. Not everything will always be available to everyone.

Absimilliard

Disney wanted to make a ride about riding a Lightcycle like in the movies. To make that ride safe with restraints it has certain requirements. It’s not their fault. At least they have a few sit down seats available. Not everything will always be available to everyone.

Disney had the vehicles modified to make it more comfortable and accessible than the standard Vekoma Motorbike. This is a photo of Booster Bike, the prototype one at Toverland.

heide-park-toverland-132.jpg

You have to squeeze between the front pad and back rest. Then, you have to place your knees in the right spot and pull the handles to squeeze your legs and back enough for it to register as locked. Its also much shorter than the TRON Lightcycles and will hurt your knees if you're tall.

Basil of Baker Street

Disney had the vehicles modified to make it more comfortable and accessible than the standard Vekoma Motorbike. This is a photo of Booster Bike, the prototype one at Toverland.

heide-park-toverland-132.jpg

You have to squeeze between the front pad and back rest. Then, you have to place your knees in the right spot and pull the handles to squeeze your legs and back enough for it to register as locked. Its also much shorter than the TRON Lightcycles and will hurt your knees if you're tall.
I'm not going to be a fan of that.

UNCgolf

Its why I have been saying hiding coaster track usually ends up looking UHHGGLLLLYYYY. If it makes @_caleb happy so he can imagine being in a video game that's all that's all that matters right? 🙄

Hiding the coaster track on Space Mountain and Everest worked fine -- worked pretty well on Big Thunder Mountain too, although that's a bit different.

Hiding coaster track is generally a good thing at WDW, but not when they hide it in a giant visible warehouse box. I'd rather have exposed track back in a corner (like where Tron is) than have that ugly box; it would be less visible.

With that said, Tron wouldn't really work if it wasn't indoors. There's not much to it as a coaster, so it needs the indoor visuals. That's also the only thing that even makes it a Tron ride.

Last edited:

J4546

i dont mind the giant box because its exposed behind the park, you wont see it much from inside the park, and you dont see it unless your driving on that one road.

that being said, i hope they dont build another one in CA because as cool as this looks im still pretty unhappy with a ride that provides a 1 minute experience

TrainsOfDisney

Hiding the coaster track on Space Mountain and Everest worked fine -- worked pretty well on Big Thunder Mountain too, although that's a bit different.

Hiding coaster track is generally a good thing at WDW, but not when they hide it in a giant visible warehouse box. I'd probably rather have exposed track back in a corner (like where Tron is) than have that ugly box.

With that said, Tron wouldn't even work if it wasn't indoors. There's not much to it as a coaster, so it needs the indoor visuals. That's also the only thing that even makes it a Tron ride.
I think an outdoor tron coaster with themed track (make it look like a futuristic highway or something?) that interacted with a rebuilt speedway and possibly both the speedway and the coaster could go inside of one central show building with the grid tunnels and lighting effects.

That would have been really cool.

Jrb1979

I disagree. I honestly believe a coaster like Nemesis at Alton Towers would work in Disney. An inverted coaster low to the ground where most of the track is hidden due to trees. As a big coaster fan I just wish Disney would create a high intensity coaster that's well themed. I look at what Universal has done with Velocicoaster and wish Disney would do something like that. Not every attraction has to be some something everyone can ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
i dont mind the giant box because its exposed behind the park, you wont see it much from inside the park, and you dont see it unless your driving on that one road.
Or on the monorail. Or at the Contemporary. Or BLT. Or on a bus. Or in Storybook Circus.

There’s a reason Space Mountain was built in the same location and designed to be seen from all sides. Has today’s WDI forgotten so much in 50 years?

UNCgolf

I disagree. I honestly believe a coaster like Nemesis at Alton Towers would work in Disney. An inverted coaster low to the ground where most of the track is hidden due to trees. As a big coaster fan I just wish Disney would create a high intensity coaster that's well themed. I look at what Universal has done with Velocicoaster and wish Disney would do something like that. Not every attraction has to be some something everyone can ride.

I'm sure it could done in a way that wasn't intrusive to theming in other areas, but it's not something they'd be able to do consistently (i.e. it's not like they could build 8 coasters like that throughout the parks). They could probably build one or two, but from a Disney business perspective, would there really be much point?

They can't compete with places like Cedar Fair (or even regional Six Flags, to be perfectly honest) in terms of roller coasters so it's not like they'd be able to attract some huge new market of coaster enthusiasts. It's unlikely it would attract any new business for them, and with attraction capacity as low as it is right now, they need more rides that everyone (or at least most people) can ride rather than ones that are limited to a smaller subset of attendance. I don't think it would really make business sense for Disney, even ignoring any personal preferences.

UNCgolf

I think an outdoor tron coaster with themed track (make it look like a futuristic highway or something?) that interacted with a rebuilt speedway and possibly both the speedway and the coaster could go inside of one central show building with the grid tunnels and lighting effects.

That would have been really cool.

Yeah, I could see that potentially working. But that would have been a much bigger project, and I don't think Tron really deserves two attractions and a huge portion of Tomorrowland.

J4546

also (and i could be wrong) but that picture is the side, and that area will also have a lot of canopy cover when it is done

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom