News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

tirian

You can’t do the SFX outdoors that they want to do. Also it can operate in rain.

It would have looked ridiculous for the design they were going for with Space Mountain to have only done partial theming. Tron is a very different design. I just don’t understand why everyone keeps panning this attraction. I have been on it in Shanghai and it is fantastic. I guarantee most people who are criticizing it have not actually experienced it. The sight lines are WORSE in Shanghai and even include enormous power lines. I’m all for good sight lines to the max enter possible INSIDE the theme park. But if worrying about it from OUTSIDE the park prevents a kick posterior attraction from being built, that is not a win.
I wouldn’t use Shanghai as an example of sightlines, scale, placemaking, or placement.

UNCgolf

It could work at the Studios or DCA.

I don't think it would work at DHS. Definitely not with the original theme, but probably not now either with the themed lands they've pivoted to. They'd certainly have to hide any views of it from inside Galaxy's Edge, and it could limit their ability to build another such land elsewhere in the park.

It'd probably work at DCA, though. They already have a big visible coaster there.

_caleb

It could work at the Studios or DCA.
Have you seen the Incredicoaster? I'd call that a miss. And let's not forget the two Goofy "coasters." At least Primeval Whirl and California Screaming were "roller coaster" themed roller coasters.

Themed tracks:
Matterhorn: bobsled runs
BTMRRs, Everest: railroad tracks
RSR/TT2.0: highways
7DMT, Indiana Jones (Paris): mine train tracks

Space Mountain, RnR: hide the tracks in indoor darkness

TRON: neither of these!

The coasters that don't use either of these two methods stick out as being beneath the theming standards of a Disney park (in my opinion, which is obviously correct).

doctornick

Originally they did. Then they realised their mistake and corrected it.

It is. One designed to be seen from the front only. Whoever approved this in this location needs to go back to the Baxter Hench school of design.

That’s the thing I don’t get really. Seems to me that all the “problems” would be solved if they simply would theme the gravity building for Tron. They easily could have come with some futuristic “grid” look that could be harmonious with the rest of TL. And while I’m sure it wouldn’t be cheap, how much more would it really be compared to the current cost?

And it goes for Shanghai as well which also has the building being glaring when not looking straight on.

That being said, I do think the canopy looks cool and will enhance the kinetics of TL

tirian

Have you seen the Incredicoaster? I'd call that a miss. And let's not forget the two Goofy "coasters." At least Primeval Whirl and California Screaming were "roller coaster" themed roller coasters.

Themed tracks:
Matterhorn: bobsled runs
BTMRRs, Everest: railroad tracks
RSR/TT2.0: highways
7DMT, Indiana Jones (Paris): mine train tracks

Space Mountain, RnR: hide the tracks in indoor darkness

TRON: neither of these!

The coasters that don't use either of these two methods stick out as being beneath the theming standards of a Disney park (in my opinion, which is obviously correct).
You’re forgetting that California Screamin’ worked fairly well in Paradise Pier before being slapped with clumsy, awkwardly placed static figures. A steel coaster like the Hulk could also work at DCA because the overall atmosphere is lousy as soon as you step out of CarsLand.

I’m judging this based on the park’s existing state-of-being, not on ideal Disney standards. ;)

At DHS, the gravity buildings don’t matter.

But do any of these belong in Castle parks? No.

J4546

shoot, i like pixar pier and think its pretty well themed imo. I also like the soarin/grizzly peak area a lot, as well as cars land. In fact the only part of DCA i find pretty bland is the hollywoodland part in the north east corner of the park.

TrainsOfDisney

Dollywood is one example of a great theme park like Disney but all you see are rollercoaster tracks everywhere.
You do?

71B89A12-1884-4C7D-8E1A-4A4A7F168A34.jpegCCC651AD-D7D8-4F2B-B01A-FE8F9B378446.jpeg99330A7F-7439-4238-860F-7CFC190000E2.jpeg

_caleb

You’re forgetting that California Screamin’ worked fairly well in Paradise Pier before being slapped with clumsy, awkwardly placed static figures. A steel coaster like the Hulk could also work at DCA because the overall atmosphere is lousy as soon as you step out of CarsLand.

I’m judging this based on the park’s existing state-of-being, not on ideal Disney standards. ;)

At DHS, the gravity buildings don’t matter.

But do any of these belong in Castle parks? No.
I actually mentioned California Screamin' in my post. I called it a "roller coaster-themed coaster."
I did spell it wrong, though. Maybe that's why you missed it?

Where would something like the Hulk fit in DCA?

mary2013

Disney (today) has no incentive to make thrill rides. The princess' can't ride them so no draw for the demo. Sadly Disney has decided it has to cater to all and that leaves out the thrill crowd.
I have to take exception to your "princess" thing. The first time I took my young niece to DW, she kept looking around asking where the roller coasters were. When I too my nephew at the same age I took my niece the first time, we couldn't get him on RnRC. We didn't even bother with SM.

Roller coasters aren't a boy/girl thing.

Parker in NYC

I have to take exception to your "princess" thing. The first time I took my young niece to DW, she kept looking around asking where the roller coasters were. When I too my nephew at the same age I took my niece the first time, we couldn't get him on RnRC. We didn't even bother with SM.

Roller coasters aren't a boy/girl thing.
My niece is also a budding coaster fanatic but I agree with both of you. The "princess" thing is very much a Disney construct (and a multi-billion-dollar one at that) but it would be nice for them to branch out a little in their marketing, rather like the gamer industry.

TrainsOfDisney

Three pictures that don't include roller coasters doesn't disprove the point he was trying to make. Are you saying that Dollywood's skyline isn't cluttered with exposed roller coaster tracks?
View attachment 508569
Yes I am saying that. That section of the park is the only part that has lots of exposed coasters.

Saying the park is cluttered with exposed coasters is innacurare imho.

_caleb

An ideal TRON coaster for Tomorrowland (in my opinion) would be one that races all around the land- intertwined with PeopleMover, Monorail, and pedestrian tracks. I've always loved the multi-level movement of TL, and I think it would be really cool to "theme" the track as another layer of transportation moving about the land.

J4546

I say if they are gonna bring that to CA Disneyland, dont. Instead tear down carousel, pizza planet, and space mountain and start from scratch on the back half and design a new space mountain that uses the tron style canopy and GatG style rotating carts and make it the best space mountain in the world. Also replace the pizza planet/darth vader meet n greet with something cool.

_caleb

Yes I am saying that. That section of the park is the only part that has lots of exposed coasters.

Saying the park is cluttered with exposed coasters is innacurare imho.
Yeah, it's true that section has more. As @ParkerLoLs mentioned, it's nice that Dollywood's roller coasters are at least painted no-see-um shades.

Growing up going to DL, the alternatives were Knott's and Magic Mountain. The exposed track rides always gave me a carnival vibe that seemed so much less magical than Disneyland's approach. They're just so utilitarian! And the "race" to be bigger, higher, faster, more Gs, hang time, etc. does not interest me one bit.

Since then, I've come to appreciate roller coasters (the smoother ones) for what they are, but I always miss how Disney's engaged my imagination in ways typical coasters don't.

_caleb

I say if they are gonna bring that to CA Disneyland, dont. Instead tear down carousel, pizza planet, and space mountain and start from scratch on the back half and design a new space mountain that uses the tron style canopy and GatG style rotating carts and make it the best space mountain in the world. Also replace the pizza planet/darth vader meet n greet with something cool.
So you'd like them to completely replace all of DL's Tomorrowland.

I do think your'e on to something with "create the best Space Mountain." But it seems like what makes Space Mountain(s) great is the simplicity of the ride? I don't know. If they were to put a modern steel roller coaster inside of the existing Space Mountain building (assuming that's even possible), maybe what it would lose in charm would be offset by thrills?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom