News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

I know you aren't a big coaster fan and most know I am. Can you imagine a coaster like Steel Vengeance with Disney's theming. A coaster that has you off your seat for over 2 minutes then add in Disney level theming would make it the best coaster in the world. I have always felt while Disney does amazing theming for most of their coasters, they severely lack in thrill.
A coaster like Steel Vengeance is about the coaster. That is the focus. Anything around it is just clutter that gets ignored because it does not enhance the experience. In a theme park the focus is on storytelling, the ride system is tertiary. "Theming" is not just something you slather on to whatever after the fact. It is the central concept that informs everything else.

Jrb1979

A coaster like Steel Vengeance is about the coaster. That is the focus. Anything around it is just clutter that gets ignored because it does not enhance the experience. In a theme park the focus is on storytelling, the ride system is tertiary. "Theming" is not just something you slather on to whatever after the fact. It is the central concept that informs everything else.
I'm just saying there has to be a way to do both. Have a coaster that high thrilling and high intensity with high level theming. The Mummy at Universal does a decent job of it. Outside of making attractions everyone can ride, why can't Disney do something similar?

JoeCamel

I'm just saying there has to be a way to do both. Have a coaster that high thrilling and high intensity with high level theming. The Mummy at Universal does a decent job of it. Outside of making attractions everyone can ride, why can't Disney do something similar?
Disney (today) has no incentive to make thrill rides. The princess' can't ride them so no draw for the demo. Sadly Disney has decided it has to cater to all and that leaves out the thrill crowd.

Jrb1979

Disney (today) has no incentive to make thrill rides. The princess' can't ride them so no draw for the demo. Sadly Disney has decided it has to cater to all and that leaves out the thrill crowd.
Its probably why I don't go that often any more. Last time I was in Orlando I spent my week at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens as their coasters are more of a draw for me. My thinking is while me body can handle the G-forces right now I will take advantage of getting as much in as I can. I can always do Disney when my child gets to the age she will remember it.

_caleb

TRON actually could have been both more thrilling AND better themed. While I’m happy they’re building a new ride, and I like TRON, it seems strange to me that it’s “just“ a coaster. Why didn’t they try to hide or theme the tracks (at least in the outdoor section)? Why didn’t they add an inversion or one of those vertical drop sections everyone’s adding these days? I think this is why people are not as excited about TRON- it’s pretty, but not themed well (story-wise), it’s a coaster, but not super thrilling, it’s family-friendly, but the seating isn’t very accessible. Also, it’s ginormous and ugly, and right next to an iconic classic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would have looked ridiculous for the design they were going for with Space Mountain to have only done partial theming.
Originally they did. Then they realised their mistake and corrected it.
Tron is a very different design
It is. One designed to be seen from the front only. Whoever approved this in this location needs to go back to the Baxter Hench school of design.

I love both films. I love both scores. But attraction issues aside, IMHO this is in the wrong place. And it’s all too apparent.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Also you have to consider sightlines. Ever wonder why Disney coasters are mostly indoors or inside a mountain, it's cause they don't wanna ruin sightlines cause it ruins the immersion. Dollywood is one example of a great theme park like Disney but all you see are rollercoaster tracks everywhere.

But If ever Disney builds a fifth gate, I want it to be a thrill park like Cedar Point of Magic Mountain but well themed.

Giss Neric

Its probably why I don't go that often any more. Last time I was in Orlando I spent my week at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens as their coasters are more of a draw for me. My thinking is while me body can handle the G-forces right now I will take advantage of getting as much in as I can. I can always do Disney when my child gets to the age she will remember it.
I'm totally you but unfortunately I have a lot in my immediate and extended family who are on the "older" side and can't ride thrill rides so they most likely will want to go to Disney cause they will be contented just by walking around, shopping, eating and watching fireworks. I also have some younger folks but it's either they get motion sickness easily or hates bumpy rough rides.

_caleb

I'm totally you but unfortunately I have a lot in my immediate and extended family who are on the "older" side and can't ride thrill rides so they most likely will want to go to Disney cause they will be contented just by walking around, shopping, eating and watching fireworks. I also have some younger folks but it's either they get motion sickness easily or hates bumpy rough rides.
Sounds like you know a lot of people who would still go to Disney parks even if they did build a more intense roller coaster.

Tron WILL NOT open fall of 2021. The exterior will be completed to clean up the area (still tons of work to be done). December will end the construction on this project and it will be suspended until October 2021. The outdoor canopies will continue to go up during the winter and into 2021. Depending on how the economy and attendance goes construction will pick back up fall of 2021. Plan on Spring/Summer 2022 for an opening.
Sorry if this Question has been asked before but if Tron is Stopping construction next month and (and not be complete until 2022) does this mean that the Railroad will remain closed until 2022 as well Or will the Railroad still be able to reopen in 2021?

GimpYancIent

Sorry if this Question has been asked before but if Tron is Stopping construction next month and (and not be complete until 2022) does this mean that the Railroad will remain closed until 2022 as well Or will the Railroad still be able to reopen in 2021?
Nooooooo! If anything the imaginEars need to find a solution to completing the MK train track laying and resume operations.

Nooooooo! If anything the imaginEars need to find a solution to completing the MK train track laying and resume operations.
100% agreed. If They can't relay the tracks in the TRON area then the least they should do is relay the tracks from Main Street to New fantasyland (I think those tracks are being relayed too but I'm not quite sure) and run 1 (or 2) trains in a shuttle system.
Train 1: Fantasyland to Frontierland
(Possible) Train 2: Main Street to Frontierland. If 2 trains can be run in a shuttle then one of the trains (Possibly MS to frontier) would have to wait for the fantasyland train to clear Frontierland Station. If passengers wanted to continue to fantasyland from Main Street (Or vice Versa) then they would have to change at frontierland and wait for the other train.

If a 2 train shuttle system isn't possible then Disney should at least reopen the Railroad on a Frontierland to fantasyland shuttle and reopen the rest of the route once TRON is far enough complete to allow the Railroad to resume Grand Circle Tour Operations again

_caleb

Maybe they'll go ahead and install the track in those corrugated pipes (the kind they use for train tunnels) so the trains can run during the remainder of construction.

UNCgolf

Sounds like you know a lot of people who would still go to Disney parks even if they did build a more intense roller coaster.

I can't imagine anyone would quit going to Disney if they built a really intense coaster.

The issue for Disney is what I said above -- it's not going to drive attendance for them (one big coaster isn't enough to compete with a Six Flags, much less somewhere like Cedar Fair) nor is it going to really help with capacity (it would help some, but too many people wouldn't be able to ride). I think absent one of those two things, they're not going to do it because it won't make business sense.

JoeCamel

I can't imagine anyone would quit going to Disney if they built a really intense coaster.

The issue for Disney is what I said above -- it's not going to drive attendance for them (one big coaster isn't enough to compete with a Six Flags, much less somewhere like Cedar Fair) nor is it going to really help with capacity (it would help some, but too many people wouldn't be able to ride). I think absent one of those two things, they're not going to do it because it won't make business sense.
Right, they will build what they think will give the greatest number of their guests (remember their demo) the greatest satisfaction for the money Disney spends. A hyper is not that ride.

UNCgolf

Right, they will build what they think will give the greatest number of their guests (remember their demo) the greatest satisfaction for the money Disney spends. A hyper is not that ride.

The only reason they might even consider it is it that building a big, outdoor, intense coaster is much cheaper than the kind of rides they normally build. Assuming they didn't try to theme it heavily, which would be hard to do with that type of coaster anyways.

I just don't see it happening.

tirian

I actually agree with this! (Look at us, coming together in agreement!) While I know Disney likes to avoid rides that don’t appeal to the entire family, I think WDI could really make something special if they tried something more “intense.”

The problem is that without heavy modification, a coaster doesn’t lend itself very well to theming. The track itself is probably the biggest challenge. How do you hide the track? Disney typically just hides it in a dark building. And if you don’t hide it, you’ve got to theme it as something other than a roller coaster track. Disney’s already done themes that actually use tracks: mine cars, race cars, runaway trains, bobsleds, etc. But those aren’t going to get you something “extreme” with rolls and loops and such. So that leaves heavy modification of the ride system just to hide it enough to tell as story and make it unique.

Plus, the gigacoasters are too tall (can you imagine Disney trying to build a warehouse to house The Intimidator 305?)!
It could work at the Studios or DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom