News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

pwnbeaver

Not entirely correct:

Tron from Load to Unload runs about 1:52 - if you count exactly from when it launches to the hard stop in the "light" tunnel, it's about 1:00. (I would say this is disingenuous as the ride starts the moment it pulls out of the load platform in terms of show, so from leaving load to hard stop it's 1:22).

So I guess the question is... are launch coasters worth it?

This makes sense. I did only ride it once back in May of 2019.

It felt like 30 seconds once you get into the show building. I was pretty hyped for recognizers and races and it was really only two effects on some corners and then a loop around to the end.

Are launch coasters worth it is a good question. The launch on Tron is easily the best part of the ride. There are no seatbelts on the bike and the back-plate holds you in loosely enough that it feels dangerous. That feeling that if you let go of the bars you might fly off the bike is the most awesome part of the ride and the main reason I still loved it. I'm usually not a coaster fan because I'm not into drops but I loved this.

That said, it isn't a good Disney ride. There isn't much of a story and all of the best special effects are in the queue and load. They could have done something much better with Tron. This is a fun short thrill ride that gives a unique feeling from the ride system. For the money, they probably could have done much better. For what its worth, the Chinese audiences who don't care about story much at all and prefer spectacle love Tron and it is easily the most popular ride in the park alongside 7DMT.

I don't see it flying too well over here. I also expect a massive controversy when a significant portion of the population can't actually fit in the ride vehicle. The thing has maybe slightly more space than Forbidden Journey.

pwnbeaver

The problem is definitely one of perception. TRON Lightcycle Power Run just doesn’t do much. It’s a lot of large curves back and forth. Like so much at Shanghai Disneyland it is needlessly large.

This is a serious problem with Shanghai that affects every ride including Pirates. The screen and projection effects in Pirates look better on video because the cavernous rooms make the huge screens look as fake as they are. Sometimes they reflect onto the water too, which looks horrible. The Davy Jones animatronic and ending sequence with the two massive physical ships are just as good as they are hyped up to be though. Truly incredible.

Walking around Shanghai doesn't feel special because of those massive pathways I mentioned before. The restaurants have a large amount of un-themed seating that place you so far away from the good part of the restaurant it makes it feel like a cafeteria. There are not even close to enough rides. Including shows, the park can be completed in about six hours if you have a fastpass for Tron. The rides that are there are quality (except Buzz, which is easily the worst version of that ride), but they need twice as many of them.

The cool thing is that the front-line staff doesn't have a ton of concern about safety like back home, so I walked around the side of the castle and stood very close to the launch point for the fireworks. I could feel the pyro.

JoeCamel

Are launch coasters worth it is a good question. The launch on Tron is easily the best part of the ride. There are no seatbelts on the bike and the back-plate holds you in loosely enough that it feels dangerous. That feeling that if you let go of the bars you might fly off the bike is the most awesome part of the ride and the main reason I still loved it. I'm usually not a coaster fan because I'm not into drops but I loved this.
Have you ridden Hagrids? That thing will put a smile on your face everytime and it isn't a huge coaster but it has tricks with the launches which make the ride. A simple launch coaster seems a little like a one trick pony.
Side note - I never looked at the specs for RnRC but 1:08? Really. OK I rode it 12 in a row one morning with no wait because I like it but it seems longer to my brain.

Looked at the wiki and RnRC is listed at 1:22 there

jaxonp

This is a serious problem with Shanghai that affects every ride including Pirates. The screen and projection effects in Pirates look better on video because the cavernous rooms make the huge screens look as fake as they are. Sometimes they reflect onto the water too, which looks horrible. The Davy Jones animatronic and ending sequence with the two massive physical ships are just as good as they are hyped up to be though. Truly incredible.

Walking around Shanghai doesn't feel special because of those massive pathways I mentioned before. The restaurants have a large amount of un-themed seating that place you so far away from the good part of the restaurant it makes it feel like a cafeteria. There are not even close to enough rides. Including shows, the park can be completed in about six hours if you have a fastpass for Tron. The rides that are there are quality (except Buzz, which is easily the worst version of that ride), but they need twice as many of them.

The cool thing is that the front-line staff doesn't have a ton of concern about safety like back home, so I walked around the side of the castle and stood very close to the launch point for the fireworks. I could feel the pyro.

I agree that Shanghai is just over the top big with too much open spaces but Shanghai Pirates is only rival in terms of scale and quality in modern day disney is ROTR. Pirates really brings the wow in person!

bcoachable

It makes sense why the delay between business hits and wanting to let the 50th and Rat be enough for a rebound year, but it does not change the fact that the Tron sect of fandom and that much general expectation of the public who go to high caliber theme parks are going to be dissapoonted in the wait by the time opening actually comes.
Heck- by the time the original Tron fans get to ride this thing, their Doctors are not going to let them....

Disney Analyst

Have you ridden Hagrids? That thing will put a smile on your face everytime and it isn't a huge coaster but it has tricks with the launches which make the ride. A simple launch coaster seems a little like a one trick pony.
Side note - I never looked at the specs for RnRC but 1:08? Really. OK I rode it 12 in a row one morning with no wait because I like it but it seems longer to my brain.

Looked at the wiki and RnRC is listed at 1:22 there

I timed a video of the coaster. If I included the long wait before the launch and the crawl back to unload it probably would have come in round 1:35

J4546

i hadnt even thought of the contraversy around how many people wont be able to ride this ride because of obesity...its gonna get messy i bet

rle4lunch

FamousGloomyAcornbarnacle-size_restricted.gif

Absimilliard

Scroll down a bit and there is a good photo.

Thank you for quoting my website! Two trains in Shanghai are equipped with the TAV and the operators receive a message on their console when a TAV is coming up next. I rode the ride in the TAV and it was forceless, but you were able to see the sets and effects a lot better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom