***SAVE FIGMENT***

JohnD

Honest question about the plump nose. Didn't I read Figment will be part of virtual reality exhibit in the new Play area? Maybe his nose is exaggerated if you happen to look at him directly with VR mask on?

_caleb

Oh, Disney knows he’s popular. He outsells every other character in EPCOT, with much of his merchandise selling out. If there’s one thing Disney cares about, it’s merchandise sales. Figment makes a lot of him. He could make even more. But it’s no accident that we’ve been seeing more merchandise featuring him within the past year.
I’ve heard this before (that Figment merch outsells other merch), but I’ve got to ask: why are people buying Figment merch? The character is only featured in Imagination, and his personality is... not great. But people STILL buy Figment plushies and t-shirts?

ImperfectPixie

I’ve heard this before (that Figment merch outsells other merch), but I’ve got to ask: why are people buying Figment merch? The character is only featured in Imagination, and his personality is... not great. But people STILL buy Figment plushies and t-shirts?
I think it's people who knew the original Figment, who then share stories and videos of the original ride with others who keep the fan-base going and growing...plus the comic book series helped a ton. After everyone thought they were sold out, friend of mine actually managed to find one of the 35th anniversary Funko Pops in an odd place at Epcot for me. It was on a shelf behind a register (forget which store) with no other Funko Pops around.

ETA: And don't forget that at (I think) a D23 a few years back, Tony Baxter got in on the "bring back Dreamfinder" action and people went bananas.

Last edited:

_caleb

I think it's people who knew the original Figment, who then share stories and videos of the original ride with others who keep the fan-base going and growing...plus the comic book series helped a ton. After everyone thought they were sold out, friend of mine actually managed to find one of the 35th anniversary Funko Pops in an odd place at Epcot for me. It was on a shelf behind a register (forget which store) with no other Funko Pops around.

ETA: And don't forget that at (I think) a D23 a few years back, Tony Baxter got in on the "bring back Dreamfinder" action and people went bananas.
Makes sense. Thanks. I had forgotten about the Figment comic!

JohnD

The only reason "his personality is... not great" is that Imagination 3.0 turned him into a practical joking menace. That was never the intent of the character. Watching @marni1971 's tribute video, you'll see that Figment is inquisitive and filled with wonder. He's nothing like the a-hole as presented in Imagination 3.0.

_caleb

The only reason "his personality is... not great" is that Imagination 3.0 turned him into a practical joking menace. That was never the intent of the character. Watching @marni1971 's tribute video, you'll see that Figment is inquisitive and filled with wonder. He's nothing like the a-hole as presented in Imagination 3.0.
Right. I remember. But the latest version of Journey (with the current Figment) was what, 19 years ago? And it was 1999 when ”Journey Into Your Imagination“ ditched the good Figment in the first place, right? I’m just curious how many non-uberfans still remember the original, more likable character.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, if Festival mech is plastered with Figment, and people buy Festival merch, then that may account for a lot of Figment merch.

And, while I could be wrong, I would think that Figment outselling other IPs is probably limited to Epcot. I can't see Figment outselling Disney Princesses, Frozen, Star Wars, or Mickey. And those IPs aren't in or strongly featured in Epcot.

Cmdr_Crimson

Honest question about the plump nose. Didn't I read Figment will be part of virtual reality exhibit in the new Play area? Maybe his nose is exaggerated if you happen to look at him directly with VR mask on?
So..It would look like this...😉
37whim.gif

SteamboatJoe

Being an inconsiderate, crude jerk was the thing to do in comedy in the early 2000s for some reason. Disney parks embraced it with both Figment and Stitch, completely ignoring the core characteristics of each.

JohnD

Right. I remember. But the latest version of Journey (with the current Figment) was what, 19 years ago? And it was 1999 when ”Journey Into Your Imagination“ ditched the good Figment in the first place, right? I’m just curious how many non-uberfans still remember the original, more likable character.

• Imagination 1.0: "Journey into Imagination" (With Dreamfinder and likable Figment)
  • Imagination 2.0: "Journey into Your Imagination" (Without Figment)
  • Imagination 3.0: "Journey into Imagination . . . With Figment" (who happens to be obnoxious)

JohnD

Being an inconsiderate, crude jerk was the thing to do in comedy in the early 2000s for some reason. Disney parks embraced it with both Figment and Stitch, completely ignoring the core characteristics of each.

Don't forget Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management) with Iago who took over the show. You couldn't wait to get out of there.

_caleb

• Imagination 1.0: "Journey into Imagination" (With Dreamfinder and likable Figment)
  • Imagination 3.0: "Journey into Imagination . . . With Figment" (who happens to be obnoxious)
Right. My point was that 1.0 lasted until 1999. And 3.0 was 2002, yes?

brb1006

Journey Into Your Imagination had Figment make a brief cameo in the final act. While brief, he still acted a bit like his original counterpart since he's mostly talking to the rider.

brb1006

Didn't Figment make a brief cameo during the finale?

JohnD

Didn't Figment make a brief cameo during the finale?

I assume you're referring to the second version based on a previous post. I'll take your word for it. Regardless, this version is considered the worst of the three. The current version is only marginally better than the second version because Figment is throughout and the Imagination song is back. But neither the second or third versions can compare to the original.

ImperfectPixie

I assume you're referring to the second version based on a previous post. I'll take your word for it. Regardless, this version is considered the worst of the three. The current version is only marginally better than the second version because Figment is throughout and the Imagination song is back. But neither the second or third versions can compare to the original.
They don't even come close. As an aspiring artist, I was literally moved to tears with inspiration and awe when I saw the original for the first (and only time) when I was 15.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom