News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

Say goodbye to it now.

What are they going to do with all the FastPass queues if (fingers crossed!) it's going away permanently?

IIRC, a lot of them could be reincorporated into the regular queue to give it more space, but others (mainly on newer rides) run off in their own direction. I suppose those could just be shuttered off.

Or, which is probably more likely, they're going to be used as part of some new, different system.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
They’ll still be available to authorised groups of guests.
Well, If there ever was a time to switch gears and move to Paid Fastpass it would be after all this. Not everyone is going to like it but it does make sense. I for one would happily pay for a premium like that. Smaller wait times and it would get Disney back to making real revenue. Unfortunately, they will continue to pay Cast Members poorly and not re-invest it in their parks. If they could only make Joe Rhode president of WDI, get some budgets in line, and stop with the IPs would would have a much better Disney World in 5 to 7 years. IMHO.

Next is paid in advance restaurant reservations like Tock. Not for everything, but the better restaurants that book way in advance. Just like fine dining tasting menu restaurants where you by a ticket for the meal. Or the current dessert parties. I know. I am crazy, but from a business standpoint, less cancelations as a whole and money directly in their pocket makes sense.

At the end of the day, Disney needs to start making money again but in smarter ways that benefit the guests in the long run.

techgeek

They’ll still be available to authorised groups of guests.

I presume they'll still take your money for a VIP tour? Or are those on hold at the moment? I witnessed a group directed through the FP line the other day at Smugglers Run, skipping about a 20 minute wait. Didn't think too much of it at the time, figured they might have been still using that line for disability pass access. Most attractions seem to still be staffing the FP merge position... and there seems to be extra cast scattered about keeping on eye on queue distancing even besides that.

Surfin' Tuna

They are still running VIP tours, although they have greatly limited the daily tour number. The low number surprised me knowing how Disney is. They are also still using FP+ lines for some people and groups such as Club 33. I was pretty sure they were going to make their changes last year as many of us commented on in the fastpass thread. I will be surprised if they do not make the changes coming out of this. There would really be no better time.

DisneyCane

A 100% virtual queue system that doesn't allow you to be in multiple queues simultaneously with rules similar to the original FP system would make the most sense to me. FP never had the effect of getting people to shop/eat instead of waiting on line and always created significantly longer standby waits.

I know that the "average" wait time is similar but I'd rather, for example, wait 45 minutes each for Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion than wait over an hour for Haunted Mansion and have a FP for Space Mountain and only wait a few minutes.

With 100% virtual queues, you can choose which queue to enter based on current return time and since you won't be simultaneously on a standby line and a FP "queue" it will possibly get people to shop/eat during the wait.

Purduevian

A 100% virtual queue system that doesn't allow you to be in multiple queues simultaneously with rules similar to the original FP system would make the most sense to me.

There isn't room in the parks for this (MAYBE Epcot, but that's a big maybe). Lines are like sponges for crowds. Going to the extreme example of Kilimanjaro safaris (one of the highest capacity, longest lines). Mister Penguin estimates a PPH of 4,428pph. Assuming there is an hour long line (not unreasonable for this ride), with 50% allocation to Fp, that's 2,214 people in line. Switching to a virtual queue line as you suggest, would move those 2000+ people out into the streets, resturants, shops which are already busy.

This problem then gets multiplied for every attraction in the park. Volcano Bay can do this, because it was built with this in mind. MK, DHS, AK, (and probably EPCOT, but maybe not) would not have any room too move. MK already looks like this some busy days:
1597246073509.png

UNCgolf

There isn't room in the parks for this (MAYBE Epcot, but that's a big maybe). Lines are like sponges for crowds. Going to the extreme example of Kilimanjaro safaris (one of the highest capacity, longest lines). Mister Penguin estimates a PPH of 4,428pph. Assuming there is an hour long line (not unreasonable for this ride), with 50% allocation to Fp, that's 2,214 people in line. Switching to a virtual queue line as you suggest, would move those 2000+ people out into the streets, resturants, shops which are already busy.

This problem then gets multiplied for every attraction in the park. Volcano Bay can do this, because it was built with this in mind. MK, DHS, AK, (and probably EPCOT, but maybe not) would not have any room too move. MK already looks like this some busy days:
View attachment 490351

I'm glad someone else is finally pointing that out here. I've been saying it repeatedly.

Disney is not designed to have the vast majority of guests just milling about. There's no room for it. The stores, walkways, etc. would all be shoulder to shoulder miserable non-stop. They need people waiting in lines to relieve some of the pressure on other areas.

EPCOT could have probably done it before they started all the construction work only because of Future World being a skeleton (it would have made no sense with original Future World, considering almost all the rides were built to move huge numbers of riders per hour), but I'm not sure even it would work now with so much blocked off. World Showcase can still get incredibly crowded even with all the people waiting in line for Frozen.

Last edited:

corran horn

Disney is not designed to have the vast majority of guests just milling about. There's no room for it. The stores, walkways, etc. would all be shoulder to shoulder miserable non-stop. They need people waiting in lines to relieve some of the pressure on other areas.

That can be aided by having live performance shows (and even 'dead' attractions) eating some of that crowd. Even Stitch and CoP eat some people.

Disney seems to be going in the other direction w/r/t those things, though.

UNCgolf

That can be aided by having live performance shows (and even 'dead' attractions) eating some of that crowd. Even Stitch and CoP eat some people.

Disney seems to be going in the other direction w/r/t those things, though.

Those are all still fundamentally attractions, though. People sometimes wait in line for them too. And there aren't nearly enough of them to make the necessary dent.

There's just no way an all virtual queue system could work without severely limiting daily capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom