Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

legwand77

And deaths! Deaths are a great way to clear those hospital beds!

Fact is, admissions are far outpacing discharges. Hospitalization for Covid has increased by 20% in just the last week.
True, note they have only been reporting that Covid hospitaliztion number for around a week.

havoc315

It may happen tomorrow, but hasn't happened yet, Florida isn't averaging 500 new admissions a day. The 7 day average is 375, vs 302 last Thursday and 258 two Thursday's ago.

Pst... that’s a TRAILING average. Been over 400 for the last few days. And continues to increase at a rate of 20%+ a week.

Actually — you just documented a 140% increase in admissions in just 2 weeks!!!

techgeek

Regardless if hospital admissions are up / down / or sideways on today’s numbers, ICU beds are surged or not, or the ER wait time billboard on I4 posts a longer standby wait then Slinky... is it a good idea to sit around, keep doing the same things we’re doing and hope that hospitals *don’t* get overrun? The underlying concerns related to the virus have not substantially changed since February.

Is there something magical about Florida that prevents what happened in New York, Italy, or Wuhan from happening here?

Common sense and math agrees that trend line down is good, trend line up is warning, trend line taking off exponentially is already too late. Show me a Florida trend from the last month getting consistently ‘better’, and I’ll dial back the ‘rhetoric’ about the sky falling... but right now, the sky is falling.

havoc315

Your hyperbolic accusatons of what I would say (note - which I would not) are not helpful here.

No clue what you’re trying to demonstrate.
The fact that there were some concerns about hospital capacity in Mid June, means there shouldn’t be concerns in mid July???

havoc315

Regardless if hospital admissions are up / down / or sideways on today’s numbers, ICU beds are surged or not, or the ER wait time billboard on I4 posts a longer standby wait then Slinky... is it a good idea to sit around, keep doing the same things we’re doing and hope that hospitals *don’t* get overrun? The underlying concerns related to the virus have not substantially changed since February.

Is there something magical about Florida that prevents what happened in New York, Italy, or Wuhan from happening here?

Common sense and math agrees that trend line down is good, trend line up is warning, trend line taking off exponentially is already too late. Show me a Florida trend from the last month getting consistently ‘better’, and I’ll dial back the ‘rhetoric’ about the sky falling... but right now, the sky is falling.

Great post.
In just the last week or 2... someone on this board suggested no reason to change course, deaths weren’t increasing much.
At the time, the average deaths in Florida was still about 40.

I pointed out that I expected deaths to very quickly become 100+ per day, potentially even 200-300+ per day. (

Nothing magical about Florida. With that many cases, there were going to be lots of deaths.

If we don’t act BEFORE deaths climb, then we are acting too late. If we don’t act BEFORE ICUs reach capacity, then we are acting too late. If we don’t act BEFORE cases surge, then we are acting too late.

oceanbreeze77

With the discharges, if they're non covid patients, the point is to open up more room. Thats why many stopped elective procedures, so that there would be room for people with covid. The goal is to NOT have overwhelmed hospitals. SO even if you see a number of discharges, that doesn't change the fact that covid hospitalizations are growing rapidly.

Surge hospitals are necessary to have, but its wayyy better to not have to use them. Especially since they dont have the same technological capabilities as a regular hospital.

OrlandoRising

How about UNDERreporting of the bolded? It happened in NY, I'm sure its happening elsewhere. Its been months since that FL woman came out speaking about it and was quickly removed from her job.

Yes, there is a general consensus that earlier in the pandemic, thousands of cases were being missed due to limited testing. That wasn't a secret or the result of any nefarious scheme, but a consequence of limiting testing to those with symptoms.

Now that the criteria to get tested is largely less restrictive, it stands to reason that public health officials are missing fewer cases. It's likely impossible to capture all cases considering the existence of asymptomatic infections.

As for Florida, there is evidence that the way state calculates some of its COVID-19 statistics is painting a sunnier picture of the pandemic. Just look at this Sun-Sentinel story from yesterday: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/corona...0200715-cpwwngaefzdnpitbs7buh7zsei-story.html

legwand77

Many reasons that it will not be and they are not magical, they have been discussed many times on here, not placing Covid patients in nursing homes, better care, better hospital management etc. etc.

legwand77

No clue what you’re trying to demonstrate.
The fact that there were some concerns about hospital capacity in Mid June, means there shouldn’t be concerns in mid July???
You were claiming that hospitalizations capacity was not a concern back a month ago, that no one was thinking that hospitalizations a month ago were going to skyrocket overwhelm the hospitalizations in 2-3 weeks. Concern was there then in media and this board. Posters were posting almost daily that ICUs at zero capacity etc. just like it is being done now. Pretty much making the same points that were being made a month ago. Only thing different is now the specific Covid numbers are broken out.

havoc315

You were claiming that hospitalizations capacity was not a concern back a month ago, that no one was thinking that hospitalizations a month ago were going to skyrocket overwhelm the hospitalizations in 2-3 weeks. Concern was there then in media and this board. Posters were posting almost daily that ICUs at zero capacity etc. just like it is being done now. Pretty much making the same points that were being made a month ago. Only thing different is now the specific Covid numbers are broken out.

huh? I never said there was no concern a month ago. I said there is MUCH MUCH more concern NOW.

So what's the relevance of an article from a MONTH ago, saying, "we have things under control."

That's nice.... they thought they had things under control a month ago..... That's irrelevant to today.

havoc315

With the discharges, if they're non covid patients, the point is to open up more room. Thats why many stopped elective procedures, so that there would be room for people with covid. The goal is to NOT have overwhelmed hospitals. SO even if you see a number of discharges, that doesn't change the fact that covid hospitalizations are growing rapidly.

Surge hospitals are necessary to have, but its wayyy better to not have to use them. Especially since they dont have the same technological capabilities as a regular hospital.

Not having enough doctors and nurses is the bigger issue. May have extra beds and equipment in a closet. You don't have doctors and nurses in closets waiting for a surge. All you can do is ask doctors and nurses to work extra shifts... move around some personnel from elective procedures. (Though, an orthopedic surgeon has limited value in dealing with ICU patients).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom