Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

legwand77

When there's a question, go to the source: https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/HospitalBedsCounty

As of 10:45 today-
13,000 Beds available
1,004 ICU beds available
Miami-Dade and Orange Counties have 14-20% ICU Capacity available.
There are some hospitals at ICU Capacity, but on a quick glance, it looks like they are primarily smaller hospitals
Currently there are 8,763 hospitalizations with a primary diagnosis of COVID, most in South Florida.
And that is the same place the media is getting their information, as they link it in their articles. Also note those numbers do not include the surge capacity at the hospitals, so surge capacity is even higher. The usually have less capacity Tue-Thur and then reduce over the weekend, that has been the pulse for the past month or so.

legwand77

We can discuss all day if the numbers are real, fake, or have a margin of error. I can only speak for my area of Florida, the Keys. What is real, is restaurants making posts on Facebook saying that an employee has tested positive and they will be closing for cleaning and testing. There have been a lot of them, so many that it's not surprising anymore.

I used to think that Disney would close when the state closed all restaurants. My guess was this week or next. It's looking like that is not going to happen any time soon. Now my guess is, Disney is going to stay open until there is an outbreak among CMs.

Many times Florida and Florida Man have been portrayed as a joke or stupid. People shake their heads and laugh at us. If things continue the way they are, there will not be any laughing at Florida, it will be pity.
Yes but remember a vast majority positives cases has a low chance of hospitalization and even much lower chance of death.

havoc315

And that is the same place the media is getting their information, as they link it in their articles. Also note those numbers do not include the surge capacity at the hospitals, so surge capacity is even higher.

Surge capacity is a bit of a fiction.
yes, you can set up hundreds of cots in a gymnasium.

But ICUs aren’t designed to operate even at 90% for any sustained period. You quickly run out of doctors and nurses at ratios that provide optimal coverage.

Basically... once you hit more than approximately 80% capacity.. (variable with other factors), patients are no longer able to get optimal care.

bartholomr4

And that is the same place the media is getting their information, as they link it in their articles. Also note those numbers do not include the surge capacity at the hospitals, so surge capacity is even higher.

Some facts from the raw data reported today. I know there are 156 Deaths reported, but in the actual data file there are only 126 listed

Of the 126 souls who died, 1 was initially reported with Covid in April, 4 were reported in May, 43 were reported in June and 78 were reported with the virus in July. Of the 78 who were reported in July, 31 were reported with Covid on the same day as their death.

Ages of those who died:

20 to 29 years: 1 death
30 to 39 Years: 5
40 to 49 years: no deaths
50 to 59 years: 8
60 to 69 years: 20
70 to 79 years: 31
80 to 89 years: 54
90 to 99 years: 15
100+ years: 1

havoc315

Some facts from the raw data reported today. I know there are 156 Deaths reported, but in the actual data file there are only 126 listed

Of the 126 souls who died, 1 was initially reported with Covid in April, 4 were reported in May, 43 were reported in June and 78 were reported with the virus in July. Of the 78 who were reported in July, 31 were reported with Covid on the same day as their death.

Ages of those who died:

20 to 29 years: 1 death
30 to 39 Years: 5
40 to 49 years: no deaths
50 to 59 years: 8
60 to 69 years: 20
70 to 79 years: 31
80 to 89 years: 54
90 to 99 years: 15
100+ years: 1

Now, let's dig deeper... the point of rolling averages. Most deaths are not reported on the day of their death -- As you indicated, nearly half were delayed by at least several weeks.
Meaning, the majority of the deaths from the last week, haven't even been reported yet.

So we don't know how many actually died "yesterday." Could be a bit lower than actually being 156 -- could be much much higher than 156.
But by looking at the rolling average, we know we are going in a very bad direction.

legwand77

But ICUs aren’t designed to operate even at 90% for any sustained period. You quickly run out of doctors and nurses at ratios that provide optimal coverage.

Basically... once you hit more than approximately 80% capacity.. (variable with other factors), patients are no longer able to get optimal care.

Just one of the many articles reporting that is not the case. Article is from June but capacity are the same now as they were then some cases even better.

havoc315

There is a rise in "cases" for sure. It isn't really known how much the rise in infections actually is. It is definitely higher but how much higher isn't really known because the asymptomatic cases weren't being tested at all back in April and May.

There is also some false positive percentage to consider. When somebody tests positive, there is no additional test to confirm the result.

My opinion is that they should go back to only testing people with symptoms. After that, test asymptomatic people where it really matters like nursing home staff (as they are doing).

Then, they should use the remaining test capacity to do true random sample testing in every county with statistically significant sample sizes each week. Those studies could be used to accurately track the infection trends.

Testing asymptomatic people that just decide to get tested doesn't really provide any value. They could have been infected two weeks before and there is a delay for the result. By the time they know to isolate there could be no reason to isolate anymore.

So unless you favor a government mandate where the government can randomly pick people, show up at their homes, and force them to take a test -- Then the current testing model is HOW you randomly test asymptomatic people. By letting people voluntarily get tested.

I can tell you, the vast majority of people getting tested aren't exactly "asymptomatic" -- They are having symptoms that could be consistent with Covid (a cough, a fever), or they have concerns because they were in contact with a Covid-positive individual (potentially PRE-symptomatic), or they have a reason they need to be tested (upcoming travel, upcoming surgery).
Very few people are saying, "I feel totally fine, I don't know anybody with Covid, but I'm going to sit in my car in a 3 hour line to get a Covid test anyway." -- I'm sure there are some people doing that, but the majority are getting tested for a reason.

And huge voluntary testing is HOW you spot outbreaks early. Instead of waiting for hundreds of symptomatic cases to show up in a town, you catch the handful of pre-symptomatic people, before they spread it to hundreds.

rowrbazzle

This is what some of the local epidemiologists were saying. The hospitals can expand capacity by quite a lot. The problem is that you can't staff appropriately at those levels.

legwand77

So unless you favor a government mandate where the government can randomly pick people, show up at their homes, and force them to take a test -- Then the current testing model is HOW you randomly test asymptomatic people. By letting people voluntarily get tested.

I can tell you, the vast majority of people getting tested aren't exactly "asymptomatic" -- They are having symptoms that could be consistent with Covid (a cough, a fever), or they have concerns because they were in contact with a Covid-positive individual (potentially PRE-symptomatic), or they have a reason they need to be tested (upcoming travel, upcoming surgery).
Very few people are saying, "I feel totally fine, I don't know anybody with Covid, but I'm going to sit in my car in a 3 hour line to get a Covid test anyway." -- I'm sure there are some people doing that, but the majority are getting tested for a reason.

And huge voluntary testing is HOW you spot outbreaks early. Instead of waiting for hundreds of symptomatic cases to show up in a town, you catch the handful of pre-symptomatic people, before they spread it to hundreds.
In your own breakdown over 2/3 would be for asymptomatic reasons. Only the first group might have a cough or fever. The rest are getting test for other reasons per your scenerio

Last edited:

G00fyDad

I feel like I am in a board meeting with the most dull CPA firm EVER headed by the teacher in Ferris Bueller!!!

JUST WEAR A MASK!!
fauci.jpg

legwand77

No... I'm saying.... If we played Russian Roulette with a hypothetical machine gun with a magazine of 200, but only 1-2 real bullets out of 200: You'd be okay at pulling the trigger against your own head, and against everyone you know?
Ok now changing it, but math still off (maybe if in a nursing home in NY), it really is not worth discussing this any more. lets move on.

OrlandoRising

Hi again. I'd like to chime in because, as I've mentioned before, my day job is reporting on health misinformation.

This thread is repeating a number of the same tropes about the COVID-19 case numbers that I've seen on far-right or conspiracy theory websites.

A few points:
-There is no evidence that there is any systematic overreporting, inflation, or manipulation of the number of COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, or deaths.

-There is no evidence that asymptomatic spread has exposed anywhere close to enough people to achieve herd immunity. Serological studies are estimates at best and many of the most well-publicized ones had obviously biased sample populations (one in California, for instance, advertised the study on Facebook, which would likely drawn in more people that had reason to believe they had been exposed, rather than a random sample).

-Beyond the likely death toll from a "natural herd immunity" strategy -- not only from COVID-19, but from overloading hospitals -- we don't know enough about the long-term effects of COVID-19 or how long immunity lasts to make that a viable strategy.

-There are many possible reasons the death toll is lower at this moment. Have hospitals gotten better at treating severe COVID-19 cases? Do people recognize the symptoms faster and seek medical help earlier? Are the people getting infected getting a smaller viral load than those in New York in March and April? Death is also a lagging indicator, so of course cases are going go up first before deaths.

It's tricky to determine if a death is caused by COVID sometimes. I know in some Florida hospitals, they are calling a person COVID positive if they exhibit COVID like symptoms without testing to play it safe.

As for deaths "caused by COVID" I suspect there is some guess work also. An unhealthy person could have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel not related to COVID, and was maybe called COVID positive by symptoms and not tests.

When it doubt, call it a death by COVID to play it safe.

This is misleading.

People try to draw this distinction between "death by COVID" and "death with COVID," but that's not really how determining a cause of death works. If you look at a death certificate, there's two sections: Part I explains the exact sequence of conditions that led to the death, Part II includes conditions that contributed to the death but was not involved in that Part I sequence. Many underlying conditions -- which most Americans have, by the way -- would be listed on a death certificate in some fashion and that was the case long before the pandemic. That does not mean the person died of that underlying condition and their COVID infection was either imagined or unrelated to their death.

While different states have different standards for what's a "probable" COVID case in the absence of a positive test, implying that medical professionals are making that determination "to play it safe" or to boost their Medicare payments is, frankly, an insult to people who are risking their lives for yours right now.

havoc315

Just one of the many articles reporting that is not the case. Article is from June but capacity are the same now as they were then some cases even better.

That article is 1 month old. Enough said.

I spoke to an ICU director in New York in mid March. He assured me that his hospital's ICU had plenty of capacity for anything that came.
By May, ICU doctors were caring for 10+ patients each, when they are only supposed to care for 3. Half the hospital had been converted to "surge" ICU. One ICU doctor related a story about how 3 ICU patients went into arrest at the same time, but they only had 2 crash carts on the floor, so they couldn't even really try to resuscitate 1 of the 3.

So no, don't cite a 1-month-old article spinning that there was plenty of capacity.

At the current rate of increased hospitalization, the entire Florida hospital system would be overwhelmed in another 3 weeks. (I don't expect that to happen, as more localities have taken preventative measures.. as more individuals choose to take proper measures. But if everyone listened to Trump and DeSantis, then the Florida system would be overwhelmed by sometime in August).

legwand77

This is what some of the local epidemiologists were saying. The hospitals can expand capacity by quite a lot. The problem is that you can't staff appropriately at those levels.
did you read the article I linked that is covered and they are currently staffing up in Miami Dade just in case as well

havoc315

In your own breakdown over 2/3 would be for asymptomatic reasons. Only the first group might have a cough or fever. The rest are getting test for other reasons

Correct -- Are you saying that people who have been exposed to Covid shouldn't get tested? Or that people shouldn't get tested before being admitted to the hospital for an elective procedure?

And my breakdown doesn't list the number of people -- I didn't say just 2/3rds are asymptomatic. Maybe 90% are there for fever and cough.
Point is -- the overwhelming majority getting tested are getting tested for darn good reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom