Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

This is as bad as during the hurricane last year someone posted how will the animals be protected at animal kingdom? Seriously! They live in the wild.

But they don’t. They’re captive, and those who keep them in captivity—in this case Disney—have a duty to look after them.

No-one is asking you to care, whether about the video or the animals at AK. Why does it bother you that others do?

monykalyn

This was only announced a few hour ago right? Seems like an over reaction to me.

With that said, I give up, if people want to paint this in the worst possible light, feel free.
I don’t see how Disney is the big-bad-guy here.
Because the DCP hoped, applied, dreamed, applied again and some worked towards this for years only to be told rather unceromoniously _GO HOME!? I know my kid planned to do it from an early age and took dual credit classes in HS so she could take a semester off to do the DCP (she ended up doing 2, got accepted for this fall for a 3rd but has decided to not delay grad school)
Kudos to Disney given the impacted cast a two week severance pay. It would help them fund last minute transportation to get home when they need to vacate in a few days.
yeah no-payday is on Thursdays. So for some this paycheck may be gone already on food and other stuff. Unless Disney is advancing the money
Not anymore it isn't. Gilead (GILD) has remdesivir. Though there are a lot of questions surrounding it. Regeneron (REGN) had EB3 for Ebola (not great - but it was ok). We're at therapeuticals now - until somebody comes out with a vaccine. Haaretz reporting the Israelis have it. But it needs to be tested.
There is a reddit and twitter thread from a front line ICU doc in Seattle that has said some drug has shown great promise for reducing the chance of ARDS and need for vent. Also said that the protocol in China for Acute respiratory distress is high dose steroids-and now some evidence is showing that may possibly contribute to a higher fatality rate. Also the drug that showed promise is in clinical trials but not yet released widely, but has been able to get some out through "compassion use"-however the company has put restrictions on it clinically - and now is being appealed to lift those clinical restrictions (lab values within a range).
it will be as common as the flu
H1N1 2009 was a pandemic and now it is around all the time-and in the vaccine
Let me reiterate, if we get through these next few weeks and see that this isn’t catastrophic, then we should return to normal sooner rather than later. Kids can go back to school, sports can resume, Vacations can move forward. I’ve seen more people washing their hands and using sanitizer lately than I have ever seen in my life. If that keeps up then it should limit the spread much more than what we’ve seen in the other countries.
Actually just read something about NOT keeping schools closed and teaching them personal sanitation habits etc would be better overall. Was interesting.
I have seen a difference in the last 2 days alone. The more people who are religiously washing their hands, sanitizing shared services, using hand sanitizer when nothing else is available, the less this will spread.
There’s nothing that should make us believe otherwise.
I don't understand what's so hard about sneezing into your elbow, not just now, but anytime...
Show them this :) <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is what we should have watched last night instead of Trump’s speech. <a href="https://t.co/MxGJMgSe98">pic.twitter.com/MxGJMgSe98</a></p>&mdash; Hand Washer Hobby (@strobist) <a href="">March 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Heck, imagine your a college senior right now who should be trying to secure your first career job after graduation... this is like putting your life on hold.. even if you have a fiscal parachute to land you safely.
Or having your college grad plan for grad school in Seattle! :p
Shame on them for not doing something that a pre-schooler is taught. I'm not even talking about now but in general. If you are sick why not do something that takes no effort or money to keep others from getting sick? Even if it is just a cold.
Flu season seems to have peaked at least, and with all these measures will hopefully die out quick, so may help with that damn "flatten the curve" Too bad the media quoting those "experts" don't ever mention this happens EVERY flu season with a surge of flu cases! Panic is profitable though

Also---China and Italy account for 65% of total cases...>70% of fatalities. At least so far.

GladToBeHear

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but we got a call from our daughter today. The college program is sending everyone home. They can apply to come back in the future -- but that's it. They have to be out of their apartments by Tuesday. I was pretty shocked. And they're being paid for the two weeks the parks are closed. She was obviously upset on the call. Does anyone know what the plan is with the college program? I thought they relied on those employees for normal operations. Are they expecting not to reopen in two weeks? Will they just do without the CP members?

LittleBuford

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but we got a call from our daughter today. The college program is sending everyone home. They can apply to come back in the future -- but that's it. They have to be out of their apartments by Tuesday. I was pretty shocked. And they're being paid for the two weeks the parks are closed. She was obviously upset on the call. Does anyone know what the plan is with the college program? I thought they relied on those employees for normal operations. Are they expecting not to reopen in two weeks? Will they just do without the CP members?

The park will definitely not reopen in two weeks. Your daughter should be home with you for the time being; it's the best place for her. I'm sorry things turned out this way, but she'll have future opportunities when all this is behind us.

Last edited:

celluloid

The CPs had their program end early, and it is sad but it is for bigger things going on. Of course it is sensitive and emotional, but their roles were mostly temporary, as it is a seasonal position with no gurantees and only that to begin with. They were still able to leave on good terms. Disney has priority to full time and union members, and that is the right thing in my eyes.

Be prepared everyone, more layoffs will be coming.

Rich Brownn

The incubation period of this adds to its confusion. For all we know we could have picked it up a week ago but still won’t show signs of symptoms for up to another week.
And worse, you can be infectious and not know it. And one of the studies showed you were actually more infectious when not showing the symptoms

Jwink

The CPs had their program end early, and it is sad but it is for bigger things going on. Of course it is sensitive and emotional, but their roles were mostly temporary, as it is a seasonal position with no gurantees and only that to begin with. They were still able to leave on good terms. Disney has priority to full time and union members, and that is the right thing in my eyes.

Be prepared everyone, more layoffs will be coming.
More lay offs of the full time and union or are you thinking part timers first? I am just trying to gauge other’s opinions. Everyone has a different perspective

Rich Brownn

The key is people need to actually follow the social distancing and hygiene that’s suggested. Too many people are already making excuses for ignoring suggestions and doing what they want. The mass closures help people who can’t help themselves.
Yeah, people in Italy instead of staying home, went to bars and nightclubs... and that's one of the ways they got where they are
I even see some of my friends going out and I think "well, you're off my allowed to visit list"

celluloid

More lay offs of the full time and union or are you thinking part timers first? I am just trying to gauge other’s opinions. Everyone has a different perspective

I think you will see some part timers naturally quit and not be replaced and some full time hourly positions be eliminated. Some operations will be consolidated. Things like Photopass and extra guest service stations will be heavily trimmed.

hopemax

Do you have a link? The things I've read have said the opposite.

This is the article I first saw "earlier rather than later": https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-sheds-early-in-disease.html There is a link to the study, which was done by German scientists. The caveats are hasn't been peer reviewed yet, and small sample group. But Google coronavirus most infectious and you can find other news articles.

But I think I saw something else from Israel, based on the tests they've done on people coming into the country and placed in quarantine. And that one I don't remember where I saw it, and I can't seem to find it. And with the last thing about Israeli scientists, I don't know how accurate it is. This one actually said the higher rates of virus in their swabs were in the people that were still asymptomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom