Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GladToBeHear

The park will definitely not reopen in two weeks. Your daughter should be home with you for the time being; it's the best place for her. I'm sorry things turned out this way, but she'll have future opportunities when all this is behind us.

Thanks. I really was under the impression that the parks would re-open in two weeks. Hence my confusion. And I thought they counted on CP kids for operations. Guess not.

She'll be fine. It was just unexpected for her. And she worked hard to get in the program. She's learning some life lessons.

LittleBuford

This is the article I first saw "earlier rather than later": https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-sheds-early-in-disease.html There is a link to the study, which was done by German scientists. The caveats are hasn't been peer reviewed yet, and small sample group. But Google coronavirus most infectious and you can find other news articles.

But I think I saw something else from Israel, based on the tests they've done on people coming into the country and placed in quarantine. And that one I don't remember where I saw it, and I can't seem to find it. And with the last thing about Israeli scientists, I don't know how accurate it is. This one actually said the higher rates of virus in their swabs were in the people that were still asymptomatic.

Thank you!

TrainsOfDisney

Thanks. I really was under the impression that the parks would re-open in two weeks. Hence my confusion. And I thought they counted on CP kids for operations. Guess not.

They do. This is completely unprecedented and I’ve already mentioned they may not reopen all 4 parks when they reopen.

We probably won’t see 2 water parks open all year. I’m guessing some resorts will be mothballed as well.

Rich Brownn

They do. This is completely unprecedented and I’ve already mentioned they may not reopen all 4 parks when they reopen.

We probably won’t see 2 water parks open all year. I’m guessing some resorts will be mothballed as well.
Would be interesting how'd they price tickets fir 2 or 3 parks

InnKpr

What are all the YouTubers going to do? They must be crying right now.
For vloggers / YouTubers, a major crisis = major video clicks. Any drama or serious tragedy is a means to gain added views and donations to the Patreon account. Whether they go live streaming just before or during the event, plan to be on park grounds when the rumored major announcement is expected to drop, or simply discuss the tragedy and make it about them... this disruption to the parks has many YouTubers licking their chops with glee and reaping added attention. As for what they do if this closure remains prolonged... that's a whole other issue. But as long as they can point a camera inward and talk, I'm sure they'll find something. ;)

31520a.png

Cmdr_Crimson

For vloggers / YouTubers, a major crisis = major video clicks. Any drama or serious tragedy is a means to gain added views and donations to the Patreon account. Whether they go live streaming just before or during the event, plan to be on park grounds when the rumored major announcement is expected to drop, or simply discuss the tragedy and make it about them... this disruption to the parks has many YouTubers licking their chops with glee and reaping added attention. As for what they do if this closure remains prolonged... that's a whole other issue. But as long as they can point a camera inward and talk, I'm sure they'll find something. ;)

View attachment 456393
Again I point out they are going to run out of things to talk about reaaallly quick...And do anything to keep alive...🤣

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

View attachment 456393

So what’s the problem?

Shouldigo12

Kinda like people who "laughed" at streaming a few years ago. Really short sighted. And streaming is now changing FWIW. Go Figure. Profit off it or don't.
I'm not laughing at anything, and as I've already said I never denied a scenario like that could happen. All I was saying was it's too early to tell how big of an impact this will have.

smooch

All those "Disneyland is Closing" videos reminded me of the final moments of VMK and the videos people made about their final moments in game before the servers shut down.

I am in a weird boat with the DCP, I applied to both resorts with primary focus in DLR for regular Fall 200, not Fall Advantage, and I am still awaiting a decision, I haven't been accepted or rejected as of now. They said I think they're making a statement Monday about people awaiting decisions? I am so sad this might hinder my attempt to work for Disney and hopefully get my foot in the door, this is my 3rd time applying. I still have 2 more years of school, maybe an extra semester, so I have plenty more opportunities to apply, but I am just sad that I have gotten so far in the process (PI was 2 months ago) and now this might change things. I understand it's all for safety, I am just bummed and wanted to share my disappointment as others have been. I can't imagine how the current DCP participants feel, I would be absolutely devastated if that were to happen to me.

Everything has gotten so crazy so quickly, I didn't realize just how recent it was that the whole situation seemed much more tame / manageable. I think because the parks are actually closed now and because my school made the switch to online and my office is preparing to switch, it all feels more real to me now. I feel bad for my older brother, he graduates in May and has to just finish his classes online over the next 2 months and then doesn't get to attend a graduation ceremony. He wasn't excited for the ceremony so I think he is secretly relieved, but if I got to the end of my tough college career and didn't get to have my ceremony I would be pretty dang disappointed.

smooch

Disney will get rid of the fat. Unfortunately, the easiest fat is anyone in any program that Disney is loosing money on. In that case, all the dcp kids. Next will be part time, likely ones with little seniority. Full time employees who make salary are safe. Anyone hourly is questionable.

Forgive my ignorance I don't know all the financials, but I constantly see people joke that CP = Cheap Labor, why would Disney be losing the most money on them? If that's true then why would you refer to them as Cheap Labor? They don't have benefits comparable to full time employees, I have to imagine Disney spends more money on their full time employees to keep them happy and ensure they stay with the company and thus they would be the ones Disney is losing the most money on them. And it wouldn't even be "losing" money (or "loosing" according to you) it would be wisely spending the money to keep people that have become experienced and thus assets to the company. My friend works for Disney full time in costuming and I can not imagine they would spend less money on her than they would on a DCP student.

Jwink

Disney will get rid of the fat. Unfortunately, the easiest fat is anyone in any program that Disney is loosing money on. In that case, all the dcp kids. Next will be part time, likely ones with little seniority. Full time employees who make salary are safe. Anyone hourly is questionable.

My husband is full time hourly and part of the Union 💔💔 . Do you think he could still be safe? when they let people go in 2008 it was mostly salaried managers.

Jwink

I think you will see some part timers naturally quit and not be replaced and some full time hourly positions be eliminated. Some operations will be consolidated. Things like Photopass and extra guest service stations will be heavily trimmed.
I mean there has to be more full time hourly than just my husband’s job... but it still scares me. My husbands job is essential... I don’t really think they could eliminate his JOB but that’s not to say they couldn’t let him go and fill his position with someone of higher seniority 💔💔

Shouldigo12

All those "Disneyland is Closing" videos reminded me of the final moments of VMK and the videos people made about their final moments in game before the servers shut down.

I am in a weird boat with the DCP, I applied to both resorts with primary focus in DLR for regular Fall 200, not Fall Advantage, and I am still awaiting a decision, I haven't been accepted or rejected as of now. They said I think they're making a statement Monday about people awaiting decisions? I am so sad this might hinder my attempt to work for Disney and hopefully get my foot in the door, this is my 3rd time applying. I still have 2 more years of school, maybe an extra semester, so I have plenty more opportunities to apply, but I am just sad that I have gotten so far in the process (PI was 2 months ago) and now this might change things. I understand it's all for safety, I am just bummed and wanted to share my disappointment as others have been. I can't imagine how the current DCP participants feel, I would be absolutely devastated if that were to happen to me.

Everything has gotten so crazy so quickly, I didn't realize just how recent it was that the whole situation seemed much more tame / manageable. I think because the parks are actually closed now and because my school made the switch to online and my office is preparing to switch, it all feels more real to me now. I feel bad for my older brother, he graduates in May and has to just finish his classes online over the next 2 months and then doesn't get to attend a graduation ceremony. He wasn't excited for the ceremony so I think he is secretly relieved, but if I got to the end of my tough college career and didn't get to have my ceremony I would be pretty dang disappointed.
The situation may not be tame, but try not to get into the mindset that it's unmanageable. I mean that's what everyone is doing now; we're making our best efforts to manage it. As far as your college program, don't lose hope on that either. Remember, we still have the rest of spring and summer to get through. Right now we have no reason to believe the virus will still be a big enough problem that the CP will remain closed through that entire period.

smooch

The situation may not be tame, but try not to get into the mindset that it's unmanageable. I mean that's what everyone is doing now; we're making our best efforts to manage it. As far as your college program, don't lose hope on that either. Remember, we still have the rest of spring and summer to get through. Right now we have no reason to believe the virus will still be a big enough problem that the CP will remain closed through that entire period.

I am not in the mindset that it's unmanageable, I agree that that's exactly what we're doing right now. And I am still holding out hope on my CP because I don't see the parks still being closed by August which is what I declared as when I could start my program. My main concern is seeing how this all affects how many CPs they accept into the next program, I don't know if they're gonna hire more or less CPs and I doubt they would say if they changed how many they hired due to the situation. I am still really really hoping to get accepted, but for now seeing the news today about all the current CPs getting sent home has just had me worried.

Lilofan

Slim chance on the DCP kids. College Program kids make Vista Way and Commons operating.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Because the DCP hoped, applied, dreamed, applied again and some worked towards this for years only to be told rather unceromoniously _GO HOME!? I know my kid planned to do it from an early age and took dual credit classes in HS so she could take a semester off to do the DCP (she ended up doing 2, got accepted for this fall for a 3rd but has decided to not delay grad school)
yeah no-payday is on Thursdays. So for some this paycheck may be gone already on food and other stuff. Unless Disney is advancing the money
There is a reddit and twitter thread from a front line ICU doc in Seattle that has said some drug has shown great promise for reducing the chance of ARDS and need for vent. Also said that the protocol in China for Acute respiratory distress is high dose steroids-and now some evidence is showing that may possibly contribute to a higher fatality rate. Also the drug that showed promise is in clinical trials but not yet released widely, but has been able to get some out through "compassion use"-however the company has put restrictions on it clinically - and now is being appealed to lift those clinical restrictions (lab values within a range).
H1N1 2009 was a pandemic and now it is around all the time-and in the vaccine
Actually just read something about NOT keeping schools closed and teaching them personal sanitation habits etc would be better overall. Was interesting.

Show them this :) <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is what we should have watched last night instead of Trump’s speech. <a href="https://t.co/MxGJMgSe98">pic.twitter.com/MxGJMgSe98</a></p>&mdash; Hand Washer Hobby (@strobist) <a href="">March 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Or having your college grad plan for grad school in Seattle! :p

Flu season seems to have peaked at least, and with all these measures will hopefully die out quick, so may help with that damn "flatten the curve" Too bad the media quoting those "experts" don't ever mention this happens EVERY flu season with a surge of flu cases! Panic is profitable though

Also---China and Italy account for 65% of total cases...>70% of fatalities. At least so far.

You are aware that college kids all over the country have been told go home / leave campus. There are a number of foreign students from Asia and Europe that may not go home so easily due to their affected countries. Hopefully someone will show them some 💓 and give them a place to stay.

Last edited:

Shouldigo12

I am not in the mindset that it's unmanageable, I agree that that's exactly what we're doing right now. And I am still holding out hope on my CP because I don't see the parks still being closed by August which is what I declared as when I could start my program. My main concern is seeing how this all affects how many CPs they accept into the next program, I don't know if they're gonna hire more or less CPs and I doubt they would say if they changed how many they hired due to the situation. I am still really really hoping to get accepted, but for now seeing the news today about all the current CPs getting sent home has just had me worried.
That's completely understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom