Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

General Mayhem

My kids love this damn ride and it’s painful for me to ride, knowing what once was. If there is one thing Disney generally does well, it’s imaginative whimsy, which made JIYI and JIIwF all-the-more surprising.
I'm one of the few people that liked JIYI better than the current version of the ride. The current version is the worst offender to me because it's attitude is the most obnoxious, and has almost nothing to do with imagination in the slightest. It slams Figment at you in a very condescending way as if the creators were like "OH YOU WANT FIGMENT BACK?! HERE HE HIS, YOU BETTER LIKE THIS $5 MILLION DOLLAR BANDAID AND SHUT UP!"

smile

😬

They had it right the 1st time....

undoubtedly
:inlove:

I'm one of the few people that liked JIYI better than the current version of the ride. The current version is the worst offender to me because it's attitude is the most obnoxious, and has almost nothing to do with imagination in the slightest. It slams Figment at you in a very condescending way as if the creators were like "OH YOU WANT FIGMENT BACK?! HERE HE HIS, YOU BETTER LIKE THIS $5 MILLION DOLLAR BANDAID AND SHUT UP!"

i'm inclined to agree with you

lot of interesting colors splashed around then concerning this, to it's obvious detriment
- mister e, please report to the principals office ...bring fitz

FigmentJedi

No, the creators were saying "You wanna watch Eric Idle get the crap kicked out of him by Figment for seven minutes for saying everybody who rode his ride was braindead and that a bunch of random optical illusions were the solution to fixing your brain?"

Brer Oswald

In all honesty, JII 3.0 isn’t even that awful of an attraction. It’s not even the worst at Epcot. It’s a completely adequate C or D ticket. It’s obnoxious, but it has an okay story that is somewhat creative and easy to follow (as far as modern dark rides go). Much better than a book report ride.

It’s when you compare it to 1.0 that it’s clear that 3.0 is really lacking. You trade a grandiose masterpiece of an E ticket to a so-so C/D. With how little excellent experiences that currently exist in Epcot, it’s an even bigger offender. Put 3.0 in a park like MK and it’d succeed. Put it in current Epcot and it’s destined to fail, much like it actually did.

No Name

Figment comes off as the antagonist in the current ride. Dr. Nigel Channing is just giving a tour, and looks to be doing a fine job at it, (although he’s never really given a chance). He seems like he’s got quite a bit of personality, and the institute looks like a fairly friendly place. All is good. Figment has no reason to interfere.

But alas, every time poor Nigel tries to say anything, Figment does his annoying crap. When I first rode it, I kept wishing Figment would just leave the poor guy (and by extension, us riders) alone for just a moment. And then I was surpremely disappointed with the ending of the ride, where Nigel literally says “Well, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!”. Instead, I thought Figment deserved a knuckle sandwich, to put it kindly. That’s not the reaction anyone should have to the supposed protagonist of an attraction. And I can’t imagine I’m alone here, as evidenced by the attractions atrocious GSATs. It’s the only ride I’ve ever been on that I think isn’t just not good, it’s actually a bad influence, especially on children.

Do we know how much figment related merchandise epcot sells? And how it compares to the other IPs in the park?
I wish I had numbers. However, given the fact that he’s been so poorly portrayed for the last 17 years and still appears on a large amount of merchandise, I would be inclined to believe it’s selling quite well, and has the potential to sell even better than it currently is.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Figment comes off as the antagonist in the current ride. Dr. Nigel Channing is just giving a tour, and looks to be doing a fine job at it, (although he’s never really given a chance). He seems like he’s got quite a bit of personality, and the institute looks like a fairly friendly place. All is good. Figment has no reason to interfere.

But alas, every time poor Nigel tries to say anything, Figment does his annoying crap. When I first rode it, I kept wishing Figment would just leave the poor guy (and by extension, us riders) alone for just a moment. And then I was surpremely disappointed with the ending of the ride, where Nigel literally says “Well, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!”. Instead, I thought Figment deserved a knuckle sandwich, to put it kindly. That’s not the reaction anyone should have to the supposed protagonist of an attraction. And I can’t imagine I’m alone here, as evidenced by the attractions atrocious GSATs. It’s the only ride I’ve ever been on that I think isn’t just not good, it’s actually a bad influence, especially on children.

I wish I had numbers. However, given the fact that he’s been so poorly portrayed for the last 17 years and still appears on a large amount of merchandise, I would be inclined to believe it’s selling quite well, and has the potential to sell even better than it currently is.

More so than the Nemo ride that teaches children to hide from a parent frantically calling out for them and then giggle at the parent's freak-out?

Last edited:

No Name

More so than the Nemo ride that teaches children to hide from a parent frantically call out for them and then giggle at the parent's freak-out?

Especially after he got majorly lost once l already? Yeah, that’s not so funny Nemo. You make a good point. I guess I never found it quite as obnoxious, but good lord, Epcot’s inspiring kids to be real model citizens ;).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
In all honesty, JII 3.0 isn’t even that awful of an attraction. It’s not even the worst at Epcot. It’s a completely adequate C or D ticket. It’s obnoxious, but it has an okay story that is somewhat creative and easy to follow (as far as modern dark rides go). Much better than a book report ride.

It’s when you compare it to 1.0 that it’s clear that 3.0 is really lacking. You trade a grandiose masterpiece of an E ticket to a so-so C/D. With how little excellent experiences that currently exist in Epcot, it’s an even bigger offender. Put 3.0 in a park like MK and it’d succeed. Put it in current Epcot and it’s destined to fail, much like it actually did.

Devil's advocate, what do you consider worse?

FigmentJedi

Eric Idle is stuffy, snobby and British and deserves to be bullied like the 60s Disney Live-Action movie antagonist he is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom