The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The ones in the US also do not have baskets and you have to deposit a quarter to get a cart.

I bring a reuseable shopping bag with me and use that as my basket. I put things into it while I shop, then I put them on the belt, and right back into it.

Most of the time I use my bag also. When I have to restock my staple canned goods I grab a cart.

Songbird76

The ones in the US also do not have baskets and you have to deposit a quarter to get a cart.

I bring a reuseable shopping bag with me and use that as my basket. I put things into it while I shop, then I put them on the belt, and right back into it.
I have a shopping bag on wheels, which is really handy, but I usually go to Albert Heijn first, then to Aldi. I can't put the stuff from Aldi in with the stuff I just got at Albert Heijn because I might miss something when I put it onto the belt, and inadvertently steal it. And I can't drag my bag and steer a cart at the same time, so the carts aren't handy, even if they were inside the store. If I only need a couple of things, it's not worth it to go outside to get a cart and try to push it with one hand while I pull my grocery bag with the other. It's just not convenient. Baskets would be so much easier.

Songbird76

Thanks for that. I’d say ours are maybe 1/3 larger. Almost all have been remodeled in the last 1.5 years and set up reset. All are utilitarian.

Aldi has a unique business model here. They stock canned goods, refrigerated, frozen and most produce in their cardboard boxes they were shipped in shipped in. Employees are trained to do every position. Replacement food comes daily. Produce is always fresh. Overwhelmingly their food is generic. Their breads are equal to house brands in large chains. That is were I see the most choices. Their prices are better than Walmart by a lot. Most products are good quality.

I buy a lot of my staples there from spices to frozen green beans also items like diced tomatoes and sauce I buy in volume. Items like their carrots always have the best flavor. The most employees I’ve seen at one here is 3 at a time. Here they pay better than most similar stores and are always cheerful.
Our stores in general here are way more limited than grocery stores in the US. Where you have a whole aisle of nothing but chips in the US, we have about 1/4 of one side. Cereal fits into one shelving unit. I think Aldi maybe has 4 or 5 kinds of cereal. It's like...cornflakes, some chocolate thing, and muesli. I don't think I have actually ever seen frozen veggies there, but that could be just because I don't buy frozen veggies unless I'm making burritos, and I get them at Albert Heijn because I can't get tortillas or burrito seasoning at Aldi anyway. The prices aren't that much better, though. I used to buy Hagelslag at Aldi because it was cheaper, but only by a few cents, and that's something that I only had to buy once a month. The yogurt I used to get was the exact same price as Albert Heijn...it was the cheapest brand they had, and I only bought it at Aldi because I liked the carton better. It had an actual spout with a cap on it, rather than just a standard carton with the folded top. But both Aldi and AH charged 79 cents for the 1 liter package. Now I buy it in a small bucket rather than a carton, and that's the same price in both places as well, so I just get it at AH while I'm getting everything else.
I don't know how their pay compares to other stores here, but they do have to be able to do every position, from stocking shelves, to running the cash register, but they usually only have 1, maybe 2 registers open and they aren't at all friendly.
Just out of curiosity, over here, it is expected that you bring your own bags whether it's for a grocery store or a clothing store or whatever..I keep several fold up ones in my purse. Does Aldi give you bags there, or do you have to bring your own?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Am I the only one who goes into a store for milk or bread and needs a cart?

This just reminded me of something (vaguely related to the above/but more along the lines of a general retail store.) Clark Howard (financial guy) would tell his listeners that in order to save money in places like Target, etc., to only buy what you can carry.

Part of the ruse behind shopping carts, is that the more space you have to throw items in (and leisurely wheel
around . . . ), the more stuff you'll pick off the store shelves and buy. It's true. If you really like a bunch of stuff (especially impulse buys), it forces you to make some tough decisions about what to put back on the shelf, and what items you want to carry and walk over to the register.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Our stores in general here are way more limited than grocery stores in the US. Where you have a whole aisle of nothing but chips in the US, we have about 1/4 of one side. Cereal fits into one shelving unit. I think Aldi maybe has 4 or 5 kinds of cereal. It's like...cornflakes, some chocolate thing, and muesli. I don't think I have actually ever seen frozen veggies there, but that could be just because I don't buy frozen veggies unless I'm making burritos, and I get them at Albert Heijn because I can't get tortillas or burrito seasoning at Aldi anyway. The prices aren't that much better, though. I used to buy Hagelslag at Aldi because it was cheaper, but only by a few cents, and that's something that I only had to buy once a month. The yogurt I used to get was the exact same price as Albert Heijn...it was the cheapest brand they had, and I only bought it at Aldi because I liked the carton better. It had an actual spout with a cap on it, rather than just a standard carton with the folded top. But both Aldi and AH charged 79 cents for the 1 liter package. Now I buy it in a small bucket rather than a carton, and that's the same price in both places as well, so I just get it at AH while I'm getting everything else.
I don't know how their pay compares to other stores here, but they do have to be able to do every position, from stocking shelves, to running the cash register, but they usually only have 1, maybe 2 registers open and they aren't at all friendly.
Just out of curiosity, over here, it is expected that you bring your own bags whether it's for a grocery store or a clothing store or whatever..I keep several fold up ones in my purse. Does Aldi give you bags there, or do you have to bring your own?
We have to bring our own bags to any Aldi I've ever been to but not most other stores. Yikes as to your grocery selection even Aldi has taco making items, even a few gf options and vegan cheese

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Our Aldi has a larger selection of cereal for sure. And it's expected that you bring your own bag, but they have reusable bags for sale, so if you forget you can buy a new one.

Figgy1

Premium Member
This just reminded me of something (vaguely related to the above/but more along the lines of a general retail store.) Clark Howard (financial guy) would tell his listeners that in order to save money in places like Target, etc., to only buy what you can carry.

Part of the ruse behind shopping carts, is that the more space you have to throw items in (and leisurely wheel
around . . . ), the more stuff you'll pick off the store shelves and buy. It's true. If you really like a bunch of stuff (especially impulse buys), it forces you to make some tough decisions about what to put back on the shelf, and what items you want to walk to the register with.
I use a cart at Target but go in armed with a strict list. I use a cart because sometimes they have the best price on milk, tea and coffee

MySmallWorldof4

Thanks! Very helpful.
We were in WDW when the Earthquake hit the SanFran area in late 80's or early 90's.
We were back at the hotel waiting for World Series game he wanted to watch and poof the feed went out and didn't come back. He was annoyed. Me I went downstairs with the kid to find a snack and saw the news on in the lobby about the Earthquake and the Series being put on hold.
I guess many of us remember where we were that day, even those of us that didn’t live in the area.

Rista1313

I'd be ordering the beef, sweet peppers please and extra juicy.

I'd also recommend McNally's on Main Street real close to the River. It is a small Irish Pub and Restaurant. Food is standard Bar Type but prepared so well. I go to the Scarecrowfest there every year. It is really nice. The only hotel I've stayed in while in St. Charles is Pheasant Run. I was at a convention.

That is where the convention is.... but even a year out, it was sold out..... and when a room does pop up it's $200 a night...yikes. I booked the best western almost a year ago... for $100 a night... and it has good reviews on tripadvisor, so we are going with that. I know one night we are driving to schaumburg because cheesecake factory! We don't have one here (yet) They just announced one is opening here in October... god save my soul.

Songbird76

I keep a couple of quarters in the door of the car for Aldi shopping;) We always fill a cart:banghead:
I think you could probably fill several carts if you wanted to, the way your boys eat. I do not need that much. I don't even fill a cart at Albert Heijn where I do the majority of my shopping. Of course, I go there daily, so I only get what I need each day plus whatever I ran out of with foods that last longer like peanut butter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom