The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Rista1313

I have a shopping bag on wheels, which is really handy, but I usually go to Albert Heijn first, then to Aldi. I can't put the stuff from Aldi in with the stuff I just got at Albert Heijn because I might miss something when I put it onto the belt, and inadvertently steal it. And I can't drag my bag and steer a cart at the same time, so the carts aren't handy, even if they were inside the store. If I only need a couple of things, it's not worth it to go outside to get a cart and try to push it with one hand while I pull my grocery bag with the other. It's just not convenient. Baskets would be so much easier.

I can see how that can be a problem.

Here's an idea... bring a bag, and leave your bag on wheels with a cashier at the front of the store, get your aldi things in the bag, ring out with the cashier who has your wheelie bag.

Songbird76

Same thing here.

I know my dad got cigar boxes and used for lots of stuff to store things in. I know my dad mentioned many years back that he got empty cigar boxes and wanted to use them for storing stuff even back when he still was a smoker. My dad was a cigarette smoker when he was a smoker before he quit in his 30s.. I'm sure most or all boxes my dad got were given to him empty since the only time he had cigars was to pass them out when my younger brother and I were born.

I remembered my dad had my younger brother and I store baseball cards in Cigar box. My parents even stored office supplies around the house in Cigar boxes including markers. When my mom was doing her one craft fair of the year, My dad had my mom use a cigar box for storing her change and dollars bills.

I know when I was a kid, we bought plenty of wooden crates with soda in them. We kept all the crates. My dad used them storing storing stuff in the crates in garage, and to store items in the pantry down the basement.
Ours was cool whip bowls and meat trays. Mom kept all those....we used the empty cool whip bowls as cereal bowls in the morning, and whenever my mom would make cookies or something, she'd use those styrofoam trays that meat comes on as plates. She'd clean them up and we had a whole cupboard of that kind of stuff....the little plastic baskets that strawberries came in? Those were easter baskets. Empty coffee cans were used to put non perishables in for in the car if we got stuck in a snow storm. And she taught us in Girl Scouts to turn a tuna can, a coffee can, some wax, and newspaper into a heater/burner. She cut strips of newspaper and rolled them up and put them into the tuna can and poured wax over it. That was the heat source when you lit it, and then you put an upside down coffee can over it with holes punched in for oxygen. If you were stranded in a storm, you could heat the vehicle without having to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning or running out of gas.

We also used empty ice cream buckets and shoeboxes for storage, etc. Mom never threw stuff out.

Songbird76

We must be from the same neighborhood! :joyfull:

Here's a few projects we did at home. My mother used to buy cans of frozen orange juice. The larger cans (once emptied out) made good pen and pencil holders, for the top of a desk. We used to decorate the outside of the can with some colorful felt, and then glue on some little sparkles for color. (When I was a kid, I thought it looked just gorgeous. :hilarious: )

My father also had cigar boxes (before he completely quit smoking about the age of 45). He'd use them for storing nails, hooks, and other smaller items, downstairs on his workbench. He gave me a box, and I made it into a jewelry box. I used sticky contact paper with a Cinderella design, and covered the outside of the box. Inside, I had a little piece of felt to line the bottom. Then I put in my jewelry (no, nothing from Tiffany's . . . ;))

Oh, my necklaces smelled like cigars . . . :p
Oh we did the can pencil holder thing! But we did it with empty cans from veggies, soup, or fruit. And mom kept an empty milk carton or a can by the sink to pour grease into when she strained meat after cooking it. She used old tshirts and underwear as cleaning rags. She darned our socks when they got holes in them, instead of buying new ones. Once a year for Christmas we got new ones. I know she used old nylon stockings for something, but I can't remember what now...

Songbird76

It isn’t just Mexico. It happens to so many locals that reside in Tourist areas for groceries and gasoline as an example.

When I was small my folks would rent an apartment for a month or two in Ft Lauderdale each spring. My Mom always said how expensive food was around that Tourist area. The old route down very different than the tollways of today gas was always much higher in price
Jackson, Wyoming....huge tourist trap and the cost of living there is insane!! A lot of celebrities end up getting homes there because they can actually afford it, and outside of the tourist season, it's pretty quiet and private.

Songbird76

We have to bring our own bags to any Aldi I've ever been to but not most other stores. Yikes as to your grocery selection even Aldi has taco making items, even a few gf options and vegan cheese
Does vegan cheese have to be refrigerated? I always thought it was weird that our Aldi doesn't refrigerate cheese...maybe it's vegan?
I wondered about the bags, being a European chain and that's a very European thing to bring your own grocery bags. I have some fun ones....I have a mickey mouse one, a red and white polka dot one, some Harry Potter ones, a couple of owl ones, a zebra, a crocodile, and....something else....maybe a pig? The HP ones are bigger than the others, so I use those when I have larger items that won't fit in the others.

MySmallWorldof4

Jackson, Wyoming....huge tourist trap and the cost of living there is insane!! A lot of celebrities end up getting homes there because they can actually afford it, and outside of the tourist season, it's pretty quiet and private.
What’s sad is those places were once affordable to the locals that had been there for generations. Their cost of living goes up and makes it unaffordable to live there.

MySmallWorldof4

Does vegan cheese have to be refrigerated? I always thought it was weird that our Aldi doesn't refrigerate cheese...maybe it's vegan?
I wondered about the bags, being a European chain and that's a very European thing to bring your own grocery bags. I have some fun ones....I have a mickey mouse one, a red and white polka dot one, some Harry Potter ones, a couple of owl ones, a zebra, a crocodile, and....something else....maybe a pig? The HP ones are bigger than the others, so I use those when I have larger items that won't fit in the others.
It requires refrigeration.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I think you could probably fill several carts if you wanted to, the way your boys eat. I do not need that much. I don't even fill a cart at Albert Heijn where I do the majority of my shopping. Of course, I go there daily, so I only get what I need each day plus whatever I ran out of with foods that last longer like peanut butter.
I fill at least 2 carts during Can Can sales.;)

Figgy1

Premium Member
All cheese is refrigerated here because it can go bad. I like the big bags from AC Moore that they sell for $1 because they're sturdy, have pretty designs and large

Songbird76

I can see how that can be a problem.

Here's an idea... bring a bag, and leave your bag on wheels with a cashier at the front of the store, get your aldi things in the bag, ring out with the cashier who has your wheelie bag.
I'll have to see if that will work with the new setup. The way it was...it's hard to explain, but there is one door to enter, and one to exit, and they only have the sensors that open the door on one side, so you can't go in the out door or out the in door. And there was a divider between the two, so you couldn't get to the out door from were you went in....you have to walk all the way around. At Albert Heijn, I leave my wheelie bag against the wall by the cash registers and grab a basket, and when I check out, I put the basket in the stack by the register, and I can go grab the bag. If I wanted to do that at Aldi, the space where I could leave my bag is not accessible at the front of the store. I just wheel my bag through the store there, and I keep my AH receipt in my hand so I can show them at the register and have proof that those items are not from Aldi. I usually only get one or two items there, so it's easy to carry in one hand. But, if you knew me (in person) you'd know I'm a huge clutz. I can trip over air. I am an expert at running into door handles, especially...every time I trip or run into something, DH says "Hi sweetie!" because he says that's how he knows it's me and not an impostor. Dropping the peanut butter was simply me being a clutz, but she was ticked off at me because I wasn't using a cart for 3 items. But I don't NEED a cart for 3 small items...and if they don't like people carrying things, then they need to provide an option for people who don't need a whole cart. I'm fine with carrying those few items in my arms, but if THEY have a problem with it, then give me a different option. It's like...Disney getting rid of plastic lids on their quick service cups, but then getting mad when people spill. (not that they are, but just a parallel, if they were to do that) You make it necessary for people to risk spilling by not providing lids...you can hardly expect people to drink their drinks at the counter before sitting down so they don't have to carry the drinks. Aldi can hardly expect me to walk out to the parking lot and get a cart and push it one handed through their store to get 2 or 3 items. Their lack of baskets makes it necessary for me to come up with another solution...they don't like my solution, then give me another option that is more convenient. This is one of the reasons I avoid shopping there...it's too much of a hassle. It's worth it to me to pay a little bit more for a more pleasant grocery shopping experience. I don't particularly like the chore of grocery shopping, but since I kind of have to do it, I prefer to go where it's more convenient, the people are more friendly, there's more selection, and it's just a much nicer experience. I have nothing against people who love Aldi, and perhaps if I were somewhere else, I would too. But the one near my house is just...not pleasant. So I go there once a week to get the fries DS likes, and anything that they have on sale that I want, and that's it.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I think you could probably fill several carts if you wanted to, the way your boys eat. I do not need that much. I don't even fill a cart at Albert Heijn where I do the majority of my shopping. Of course, I go there daily, so I only get what I need each day plus whatever I ran out of with foods that last longer like peanut butter.

I loved that about European culture and the way their groceries were set up. You could easily purchase what you needed that day, get a walk in, and still stay in budget. In the states that's nearly impossible. Everything comes in huge bags or containers. So if you buy everything you need for the day, every day, you end up with a huge amount of food waste and well over budget. My ex used to shop like that and we'd routinely end up spending $1300 for groceries for just the two of us. He did all the cooking and wanted to be able to go to the store and feel out what he wanted to make. Now with just A and I, I order groceries once a week and meal plan, and I feed us for roughly $400 a month, including restaurants.

Ours was cool whip bowls and meat trays. Mom kept all those....we used the empty cool whip bowls as cereal bowls in the morning, and whenever my mom would make cookies or something, she'd use those styrofoam trays that meat comes on as plates. She'd clean them up and we had a whole cupboard of that kind of stuff....the little plastic baskets that strawberries came in? Those were easter baskets. Empty coffee cans were used to put non perishables in for in the car if we got stuck in a snow storm. And she taught us in Girl Scouts to turn a tuna can, a coffee can, some wax, and newspaper into a heater/burner. She cut strips of newspaper and rolled them up and put them into the tuna can and poured wax over it. That was the heat source when you lit it, and then you put an upside down coffee can over it with holes punched in for oxygen. If you were stranded in a storm, you could heat the vehicle without having to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning or running out of gas.

We also used empty ice cream buckets and shoeboxes for storage, etc. Mom never threw stuff out.

My mom was the same way. I do some of these things she used to do, but not most of them. I have collected coffee cans to make animal foot stilts for A's next tea party though!

Songbird76

I fill at least 2 carts during Can Can sales.;)
I bet you do!! I buy very very few canned goods. Almost all my produce I buy fresh...I will occasionally buy a jar of green beans, peas, or brown beans. Or Applesauce. That's about it...and then cans the only thing I buy is condensed soup to make chili or stroganoff. About the only time we get a cart is when we they have sales on juice or soda that we buy in bulk and then we walk the cart back to the house to unload and then bring it back to the store.

Songbird76

I loved that about European culture and the way their groceries were set up. You could easily purchase what you needed that day, get a walk in, and still stay in budget. In the states that's nearly impossible. Everything comes in huge bags or containers. So if you buy everything you need for the day, every day, you end up with a huge amount of food waste and well over budget. My ex used to shop like that and we'd routinely end up spending $1300 for groceries for just the two of us. He did all the cooking and wanted to be able to go to the store and feel out what he wanted to make. Now with just A and I, I order groceries once a week and meal plan, and I feed us for roughly $400 a month, including restaurants.

My mom was the same way. I do some of these things she used to do, but not most of them. I have collected coffee cans to make animal foot stilts for A's next tea party though!
Yeah, I like the way it is here, just walking to the store every day whenever I have the time. It's convenient. I do miss some bulk items like flour, powdered sugar, etc....every time I want to bake, I have to get several small containers instead of a big 5 lb bag of flour that will last me a while. Everything else is nicer, but just those few staples that you always want to have on hand...I miss those.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I bet you do!! I buy very very few canned goods. Almost all my produce I buy fresh...I will occasionally buy a jar of green beans, peas, or brown beans. Or Applesauce. That's about it...and then cans the only thing I buy is condensed soup to make chili or stroganoff. About the only time we get a cart is when we they have sales on juice or soda that we buy in bulk and then we walk the cart back to the house to unload and then bring it back to the store.
It's mostly canned diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, organic corn and beans. For the most part I use dry beans but every once in a while it's nice not to have to cook from scratch;) and white beans seem to have a better consistency for salads

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yeah, I like the way it is here, just walking to the store every day whenever I have the time. It's convenient. I do miss some bulk items like flour, powdered sugar, etc....every time I want to bake, I have to get several small containers instead of a big 5 lb bag of flour that will last me a while. Everything else is nicer, but just those few staples that you always want to have on hand...I miss those.
I absolutely agree some items are better sold in bulk. I've even get my flour by the case so I don't need to make extra trips.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Unreal! What does the district do? Is the school year extended to make up the days?

We have added time to the day, made inservice days student contact days, lost our Easter Monday, and made the last day a full day instead of a half day. Guess we will add one more day. Plus as staff we have had 24 hours we have to make up on our own, which is fine and not difficult to do. There is always something to work on as a teacher.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom