The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I use it, because or mail tends to end up in someone else's mailbox, or doesn't make it to us for days or more (DH just got a piece of mail that was dated late August). It still isn't fool proof. I often get the message that the mail wasn't able to be photographed. So, I have no idea what is missing.

Thanks for the heads up. Not that it should, but it may vary from postal location to location--depending upon who is doing the scanning. Still, good to know.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Well story time.....

So no good deed goes unpunished as I said earlier.

Back story. My folks have owned this house that my Mom lives in since I was in early elementary school (so a very very log time)
That area of Suburbia of Chicago all homes have alleys behind their homes, some access garages some do not. My Moms home has a cool garage with double doors one for the driveway from the street and an exit to the alley for exit, never needing to back out. Over the decades the stone alley has made the alley higher and higher. Couple that with 3 knock downs for McMansions out of 4 neighbors. My Mom over the last decade went from level land to being the 'low spot' for rain from alley and back of property causing rain to roll from alley to her house. I grew up in that home, it is a NEW issue by higher surrounding large homes and a higher alley.

My Mom is 83. So my son was in and my DD, DS and me raised the alley along her fence to slightly higher than her neighbors to stop the neighborhood water from rolling completely into her yard to her house. This was August but in the 90's I waited until the temps dropped in late September after our WDW trip to fix the problem. On the yard side I bought bricks, dirt, landscaping skin and bark along with water eating plants to level the backside of the yard. (so far with all the rain it has worked, woot) I'm too old for this type of manual labor. I am a small woman now well into my 50's. It took me 6 days to level a short brick wall, fill it with dirt, line it and bark it then add plants so Mom's property would stop flooding.

I've yet to see it in daylight as I was not leaving until it was done on DAY 6. It is over an hour to my Moms and back again so it is a time ability thing. But Mom's backyard and the area I was working in is not level and so many dips. Well I wrenched my ankle and damaged my Achilles, enter boot. At least I finished my Moms yard. Good Daughter.
*Pat on head. *

Well it is black outside the last few hours I worked on this cause I was going to be DONE!!!
Photos are taken at night and flash only does so much on my phone

And stepped into a dip messed up leg

View attachment 318724

Results no good deed goes unpunishedView attachment 318720View attachment 318721View attachment 318722View attachment 318723

Sorry about your foot. Unfortunately, there are so many ways to get injured when working around a house or yard. Hope you don't have to wear that boot for too much longer.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good morning @MinnieM123 do you have any exciting plans for your long weekend?

Good morning to you, too! No plans, per se, but I did buy a few sweaters online at LL Bean this morning. Had a 20% coupon and a $10 gift card (plus I had a $45 return credit on my credit card), so I didn't feel so guilty about buying 2 sweaters -- came down to the price of one, after the discounts, etc. :cool:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good morning to you, too! No plans, per se, but I did buy a few sweaters online at LL Bean this morning. Had a 20% coupon and a $10 gift card (plus I had a $45 return credit on my credit card), so I didn't feel so guilty about buying 2 sweaters -- came down to the price of one, after the discounts, etc. :cool:
Congrats on the deal. I feel guilty if something costs more than $10 except shoes:angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:

Goofyernmost

@Goofyernmost , how is your eye? Was the eye doctor able to help you yesterday?
We are trying a new approach of using a contact lens to stabilize my cornea and see if it can heal sufficiently to stop the edemas from happening. If that doesn't work the next step is to peal the top layer of tissue from the cornea and let a new layer grow back. Not exactly looking forward to that procedure, but, my sister had it done and has had no issues since then. I'm sure one of those two will work because the next step after those is a cornea transplant. Thanks for asking.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We are trying a new approach of using a contact lens to stabilize my cornea and see if it can heal sufficiently to stop the edemas from happening. If that doesn't work the next step is to peal the top layer of tissue from the cornea and let a new layer grow back. Not exactly looking forward to that procedure, but, my sister had it done and has had no issues since then. I'm sure one of those two will work because the next step after those is a cornea transplant. Thanks for asking.
Sympathy like. If you don't mind me asking is it hereditary or just an age thing. GWS

MySmallWorldof4

Yeah, work's been pretty crazy. Plus I've had a cold and my asthma hasn't been the greatest. I had a bit of a headache today but got it under control with Excedrin and tea. I took off work last Thursday and Friday because of the asthma but was there all this week. Everyone at work has been sick lately.
Sounds like you need some vitamins for protection. Or if you like mushrooms, they have immune boosting power. The Japanese kind like ake or maitake are powerful. They need to be cooked and not eaten fresh.
A mushroom name got edited. You probably guessed it but I will rewrite it sans one letter. Sh*take.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Well story time.....

So no good deed goes unpunished as I said earlier.

Back story. My folks have owned this house that my Mom lives in since I was in early elementary school (so a very very log time)
That area of Suburbia of Chicago all homes have alleys behind their homes, some access garages some do not. My Moms home has a cool garage with double doors one for the driveway from the street and an exit to the alley for exit, never needing to back out. Over the decades the stone alley has made the alley higher and higher. Couple that with 3 knock downs for McMansions out of 4 neighbors. My Mom over the last decade went from level land to being the 'low spot' for rain from alley and back of property causing rain to roll from alley to her house. I grew up in that home, it is a NEW issue by higher surrounding large homes and a higher alley.

My Mom is 83. So my son was in and my DD, DS and me raised the alley along her fence to slightly higher than her neighbors to stop the neighborhood water from rolling completely into her yard to her house. This was August but in the 90's I waited until the temps dropped in late September after our WDW trip to fix the problem. On the yard side I bought bricks, dirt, landscaping skin and bark along with water eating plants to level the backside of the yard. (so far with all the rain it has worked, woot) I'm too old for this type of manual labor. I am a small woman now well into my 50's. It took me 6 days to level a short brick wall, fill it with dirt, line it and bark it then add plants so Mom's property would stop flooding.

I've yet to see it in daylight as I was not leaving until it was done on DAY 6. It is over an hour to my Moms and back again so it is a time ability thing. But Mom's backyard and the area I was working in is not level and so many dips. Well I wrenched my ankle and damaged my Achilles, enter boot. At least I finished my Moms yard. Good Daughter.
*Pat on head. *

Well it is black outside the last few hours I worked on this cause I was going to be DONE!!!
Photos are taken at night and flash only does so much on my phone

And stepped into a dip messed up leg

View attachment 318724

Results no good deed goes unpunishedView attachment 318720View attachment 318721View attachment 318722View attachment 318723
Sorry about your foot. You did do a bang up job on that landscaping though. Hopefully it will heal quickly.

Goofyernmost

Sympathy like. If you don't mind me asking is it hereditary or just an age thing. GWS
It is allegedly hereditary although my sister and I are the only ones we know of in the family that had this. Age is involved as well. Both she and I had the problem after we were 60, I was 68. We had a grandmother who had bad cataract problems and refused to have surgery, but, I don't blame her it was back when the removed the lens and replaced it with thick, thick glasses. We suspect that she might have had this problem, but, we have no way of knowing at this point.

I don't know if I have ever mentioned her before, but, she was able to get finely ground pot as a prescription. She used a small tin aspirin container and built a little mound and lit it then inhaled the smoke. I don't know what they called it back then, I'm sure it wasn't called pot, but, was commonly used to treat cataracts. I never knew what it actually was until one day I (um) happened into a room that had more then it's share of pot smoking and immediately started looking for my grandmother.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Sorry about your eye. I must have missed a post. I hope the lens experiment works.

Figgy1

Premium Member
It is allegedly hereditary although my sister and I are the only ones we know of in the family that had this. Age is involved as well. Both she and I had the problem after we were 60, I was 68. We had a grandmother who had bad cataract problems and refused to have surgery, but, I don't blame her it was back when the removed the lens and replaced it with thick, thick glasses. We suspect that she might have had this problem, but, we have no way of knowing at this point.

I don't know if I have ever mentioned her before, but, she was able to get finely ground pot as a prescription. She used a small tin aspirin container and built a little mound and lit it then inhaled the smoke. I don't know what they called it back then, I'm sure it wasn't called pot, but, was commonly used to treat cataracts. I never new what it actually was until one day I (um) happened into a room that had more then it's share of pot smoking and immediately started looking for my grandmother.
Good luck and watch what rooms you go into;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom