News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only thing that I would describe as slightly more complicated for them is that you need 2 tickets for the parties (can't just show up to a Halloween party without having a regular Disneyland ticket). I've been completely in charge of MagicBands, FP+, the hotel, and soon, Magical Express.

If your willing to pay 200% of the price for 1 day in the park...
...just a minor detail 😎

wannabeBelle

I saw it and it was ticket price...if I recall? It was a good chart.

Unfortunately there’s no way to account for all the details tied to a trip. Cherry picking a specific price allows them to hide much of the deets in the weeds...unfortunately.
I thought he had done some stuff on resort costs too, but I don't recall much else. Marie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought he had done some stuff on resort costs too, but I don't recall much else. Marie

I’d like to see it again...

There are 3 easily tracked figures:
Hotel rack rates, tickets and the dining plan.

What that doesn’t cover is modifications included in those prices (ie shorter hours in favor of upsells), menu prices (that’s a huge one as I’ve stared at it for fifteen years) and prices on 1,000 other incidentals...

All those things have been pushed for profit heavily...and while many of those things don’t HAVE to be bought...the reality is many will be in every trip.

The overall picture is likely a lot higher than most realize.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Attendance is down. We’ve seen the results this week (and more today) and there’s more to come. Hopefully they won’t last too far into next year.

This ones easy: next year will be their slowest in a decade due to the Star Wars hype.

Unless they’ve got hidden marketing ploys somewhere? There have been literally none in the US and i think i know why...

JohnD

This ones easy: next year will be their slowest in a decade due to the Star Wars hype.

Unless they’ve got hidden marketing ploys somewhere? There have been literally none in the US and i think i know why...

Or would it be the opposite. Attendance is slow now because people are putting off trips until this time next year for SW:GE. Which means attendance will among their highest?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or would it be the opposite. Attendance is slow now because people are putting off trips until this time next year for SW:GE. Which means attendance will among their highest?

It’s not going to be open this time next year...they’ve been clear about “summer” for Anaheim and “late” for Orlando.

In the case of mgm...that makes complete sense because the parking lot is in shambles...it’s gonna take a year to clean that up minimum.

...so....how do you get anyone there in a dead period that is gonna last until AT LEAST October.

None of the other stuff in Epcot or magic kingdom is gonna he ready either.

The problem with rigid, capex determined timelines

And if you want a target date for when it should open in Orlando - based on operations - it should be tbe last day of food and wine...in the 11/11 range. If they make it. There’s things they need to try and avoid/mitigate with this one...that’s your date if you want to do this semi intelligently.

JohnD

It’s not going to be open this time next year...they’ve been clear about “summer” for Anaheim and “late” for Orlando.

In the case of mgm...that makes complete sense because the parking lot is in shambles...it’s gonna take a year to clean that up minimum.

...so....how do you get anyone there in a dead period that is gonna last until AT LEAST October.

None of the other stuff in Epcot or magic kingdom is gonna he ready either.

The problem with rigid, capex determined timelines

And if you want a target date for when it should open in Orlando - based on operations - it should be tbe last day of food and wine...in the 11/11 range. If they make it. There’s things they need to try and avoid/mitigate with this one...that’s your date if you want to do this semi intelligently.

Okay, so slow until SW:GE then packed like sardines.

MickeyMinnieMom

I’ve heard that Guest surveys have been rating their trips as “overwhelming,” requiring too much planning for newbies who aren’t familiar with the resort. It’s probably not the sole reason for soft attendance, but it can’t be helping.
Those things have been factors for years though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Those things have been factors for years though.

But imagine a demographic that only comes every 3 or 4 years. In year 1, they haven't see it much. By year 4, they may be on repeat trips under the new system and are no longer willing to write it off as a one time thing. Add in all the additional digital elements Disney is doing year to year.. and it's not necessarily what all demographics want.

Mobile Ordering sounds good to some.. others just want to be served by someone intelligent with the menu.

disneyflush

Okay, so slow until SW:GE then packed like sardines.

No one has actually booked SW:GE yet though. I agree with the reasoning but am also looking to find out what types of pricing they put into effect before making determinations on end-result attendance.

MickeyMinnieMom

But imagine a demographic that only comes every 3 or 4 years. In year 1, they haven't see it much. By year 4, they may be on repeat trips under the new system and are no longer willing to write it off as a one time thing. Add in all the additional digital elements Disney is doing year to year.. and it's not necessarily what all demographics want.

Mobile Ordering sounds good to some.. others just want to be served by someone intelligent with the menu.
I just don’t buy it. If I had to bet, I’d say this is the calm before the SWGE storm. Makes more sense to me than a buildup of MDE, etc. issues for those who go every 3-4yrs.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just don’t buy it. If I had to bet, I’d say this is the calm before the SWGE storm..
If it were, what’s happening now wouldn’t be happening. You have to give the company some credit. Plus, it’s a mix of a few things including soft attendance vs projections.

SWGE won’t bring in that much more profit than any other year.

djkidkaz

Don’t forget that the company also just approved a $15 an hour raise for all cast members. So throw that in on top of the slower attendance and you get Rafiki closing, live actors being cut all over and cast hours being cut. People love to fight for huge wage increases for minimum wage and someone other than the company is gonna pay for it. You end up with people going from 40 hours to 32 hours or self checkouts like your local Walmart.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If it were, what’s happening now wouldn’t be happening. You have to give the company some credit. Plus, it’s a mix of a few things including soft attendance vs projections.

SWGE won’t bring in that much more profit than any other year.

I often agree with you (and chuckle the rest)...
But this...I 100% agree with. Especially the last line.

It’s kinda a curse to understand the beast, isn’t it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom