News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

wdworlandlover

That isn’t true of Disney’s or DVC’s booking system...there are no holds for minimum stays...

Now that doesn’t stop Priceline from doing it...

But as stated 4,235,347 Times...weekends in October are gonna be booked up as it is a popular AP/Florida resident Time.

Drunk around the world
I just booked my room last night at Port Orleans Riverside for Oct. 19-22. It showed no availability for 2 nights, but 3 or more had definite availability. I just checked several other hotels out of curiosity, and they are also showing availability for 3 nights or more. I always book directly through the WDW website.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is awesome! You have the best way of summing things up!

Anyone know the average size of a DVC contract/purchase these days?

We’ve increasingly had issues getting a 2BR at 7mos — I’ve read stuff here and there that suggests we’re not alone. That’s more than a bunch of people fighting over a few studios.[/QUOTE]

It has always settled around the 150-250 range over its history...

I doubt with higher prices it’s much different

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just booked my room last night at Port Orleans Riverside for Oct. 19-22. It showed no availability for 2 nights, but 3 or more had definite availability. I just checked several other hotels out of curiosity, and they are also showing availability for 3 nights or more. I always book directly through the WDW website.

Now I’m fascinated...why did they build minimum stays into their system?!?

It did not exist for a long time...

I think I know the answer...shaving pennies on housekeeping 🙄

Yoi

wdworlandlover

Now I’m fascinated...why did they build minimum stays into their system?!?

It did not exist for a long time...

I think I know the answer...shaving pennies on housekeeping 🙄

Yoi
You’re probably right! In any case, it’s got something to do with shaving pennies. I’m going in December as well, and the same thing happened. No availability showing unless I booked 3 nights or more.

MickeyCB

Don't know the average cost of a DVC contract. We bought a whacked/odd number of 315 points because I wanted to stay in the Poly Bungalows and for 5 nights is was around a $1,000,000 cash, (or something). And my husband threatened to divorce me. So I talked to the DVC guy and he said if you buy 315 points, we are allowed a one time match of the same and that will allow you 5 measly nights at the bungalows. So, as we were contemplating buying into DVC anyway, I arm twisted my husband and we got that amount of points. (That was several years ago when it wasn't as expensive, the point cost has risen quite a bit).
It's so ridiculous how many points you need for the bungalows because those same 315 points can, I think, depending on season, get you more than a week in a 2 bedroom at Baylake, almost 3 trips in a Poly studio etc.
And, the tie in to this thread and this possible soft time, is for DVC members Sirwalterraleigh is correct, many rooms are tied up with people like us not staying/using up all of our points in those expensive places, but seeking rooms elsewhere with surprisingly few rooms available if you want to stay on points.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't know the average cost of a DVC contract. We bought a whacked/odd number of 315 points because I wanted to stay in the Poly Bungalows and for 5 nights is was around a $1,000,000 cash, (or something). And my husband threatened to divorce me. So I talked to the DVC guy and he said if you buy 315 points, we are allowed a one time match of the same and that will allow you 5 measly nights at the bungalows. So, as we were contemplating buying into DVC anyway, I arm twisted my husband and we got that amount of points. (That was several years ago when it wasn't as expensive, the point cost has risen quite a bit).
It's so ridiculous how many points you need for the bungalows because those same 315 points can, I think, depending on season, get you more than a week in a 2 bedroom at Baylake, almost 3 trips in a Poly studio etc.
And, the tie in to this thread and this possible soft time, is for DVC members Sirwalterraleigh is correct, many rooms are tied up with people like us not staying/using up all of our points in those expensive places, but seeking rooms elsewhere with surprisingly few rooms available if you want to stay on points.

That’s kinda what I was saying...those bungalows aren’t really built for people to “stay” in them...

They are economic stimulus. So 8 people stay? They only eat 8 people worth of food and wearing one set of mouse ears at a time...

But think about this: so my contract is 4.3% of unit 27A (whatever that is) of one of the spots...200 points right up the middle. So they can sell that “unit” about 25 times for the same contract...
That’s based on the point chart declared/set

Now multiple the 17 or so average point per night enough to get it to 90 a night...now how many 200 point contract you can sell in a bungalow?

Floods people and revenue and dues into the system...for a unit that has to be cleaned once a week.

Really brilliant...isn’t it??

jbolen2

Can someone who works in cro/wholesale/travel company confirm this?

I’m not disputing it...just want to know when they started this?

PM me if you want...

I have done this several times when booking at the campgrounds. Say we needed a 7 night trip on certain dates with no luck, pop in a 14 day and it becomes available. Book it then trim the extras off a few days later.

MickeyMinnieMom

I get what you’re saying and I think there is something to that. That said, as I mentioned, I’ve had issues getting a 2BR 7mos out. Where the only thing left for our whole stay at a resort desirable to us (MK or Epcot area DVC) was a Poly bungalow! So in recent years, there seems to me to be more at work than what he was referencing - some honest to goodness demand across room types, not just everyone scrambling for a few smaller units.

I’ll be happy to see Riviera come online... at least early on before it’s sold out. Hoping for a decent 7 mo. option. With all that building, they have to be forecasting demand, obviously. Guess we’ll see...

tl77

The combination of 1. the cool new stuff is still a few years off and 2. it's not a lot of fun going on a vacation in a construction zone, has me waiting a while before going back to WDW

kong1802

I get what you’re saying and I think there is something to that. That said, as I mentioned, I’ve had issues getting a 2BR 7mos out. Where the only thing left for our whole stay at a resort desirable to us (MK or Epcot area DVC) was a Poly bungalow! So in recent years, there seems to me to be more at work than what he was referencing - some honest to goodness demand across room types, not just everyone scrambling for a few smaller units.

I’ll be happy to see Riviera come online... at least early on before it’s sold out. Hoping for a decent 7 mo. option. With all that building, they have to be forecasting demand, obviously. Guess we’ll see...

Are the 2 bedrooms 1 bedrooms with a lockout (studio) attached? I know a lot of timeshare properties are like that, not sure if most of DVC is built that way or not.

If that is the case, then the Sir's explanation makes sense here too.

If it's not the case, then I have no clue, lol

ETA: In my quick research, looks like at least all of BWV's 2br units are lockoffs, so it makes sense that the studio bookings are impacting the 2BR availability.

MickeyMinnieMom

Are the 2 bedrooms 1 bedrooms with a lockout (studio) attached? I know a lot of timeshare properties are like that, not sure if most of DVC is built that way or not.

If that is the case, then the Sir's explanation makes sense here too.

If it's not the case, then I have no clue, lol

ETA: In my quick research, looks like at least all of BWV's 2br units are lockoffs, so it makes sense that the studio bookings are impacting the 2BR availability.
Good point. At BLT (and at other locations), we always aim for a stand-alone 2BR -- we only do lock-off if that's not available. Have on multiple occasions not been able to get either.

kong1802

Good point. At BLT (and at other locations), we always aim for a stand-alone 2BR -- we only do lock-off if that's not available. Have on multiple occasions not been able to get either.

It makes sense. You potentially have a whole DVC building looking for dedicated units moving across properties for a dedicated unit (Not sure how in demand having a "true" 2 BR is, but I would guess its more than the lockoff crowd).

But, perhaps the pirate themed 2 BR's coming online at Caribbean Riviera Resort will alleviate some of that pressure, or exacerbate the issue....

rle4lunch

It makes sense. You potentially have a whole DVC building looking for dedicated units moving across properties for a dedicated unit (Not sure how in demand having a "true" 2 BR is, but I would guess its more than the lockoff crowd).

But, perhaps the pirate themed 2 BR's coming online at Caribbean Riviera Resort will alleviate some of that pressure, or exacerbate the issue....

Hell, the wife and I have been worn down enough by the Resorts that we're about to pull the trigger on a DVC... resistance is futile...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom