Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So we could see a massive overhaul of the monorail system and stations?
It’s an option for either when the project is greenlit or the future. And it’s far from definite. It’s just an option.

I wouldn’t call it massive, though obviously the Poly and GF would be pretty large engineering jobs to add on to the end. Epcot too if they so desired. MK and TTC stops would be easier to extend the berms they sit on.

There could be some semi related works in the vicinity of the TTC too. More than a lick of paint.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
There has been lots of discussions about how the monorails are for all practical purposes maxed out on capacity. Because of all the limitations on the size of the trains because of the length of the platforms and the Contemporary openings there is very little room to expand the capacity of the trains without massive work that would require closing the system for an extended time. Because of the short distance between the express stations and safety blocks there is not really room to add trains.

What if you used new versions of the same size trains on the same beam but added a platform and branch beam at both express stations. You would have a switch just outside the stations on both ends that would alternate platforms. I saw a video of a monorail in Japan, I think, that switched monorail beams quickly and frequently.

You could add on to both stations towards the Seven Seas Lagoon wile still using the existing beam and platform. You could then move the entry lines to between the two platforms and then load to both tracks. If they are going to have to adjust the platform heights for level loading into the trains they could build the new platforms level for the new trains and only run new trains on the new platform and old trains on the old platform until they replaced all the old trains. Then they could just use the new platforms while they adjust the level of the old platforms for level loading. When it is all done would have a much higher capacity (double?) during peak times. During non peak times you could use just one platform.

View attachment 280995
View attachment 280997

Idk that it’s likely, but I give you credit for thinking creatively on this!

Stripes

It’s an option for either when the project is greenlit or the future. And it’s far from definite. It’s just an option.

I wouldn’t call it massive, though obviously the Poly and GF would be pretty large engineering jobs to add on to the end. Epcot too if they so desired. MK and TTC stops would be easier to extend the berms they sit on.

There could be some semi related works in the vicinity of the TTC too. More than a lick of paint.
Hopefully TTC gets some major aesthetic changes. It desperately needs it.

Goofyernmost

Out of respect for the deceased, I’m not sure they can.
I'm probably going to say something that isn't popular, but, isn't it time we grow up concerning the death aspect of the colors? Does it respect someone when you pick a random point and decide to associate that with the tragedy? What did the color of the train stripe have to do with the accident? Do the vast majority of the current guests even know that happened or what the color was? If we associate a death with a color then they could probably need to take the stripes off every single train and just number them. I'm sure that every color could upset someone, sometime or someplace. Black comes to mind. What happened was a real tragedy, but, you don't remember that person by eliminating an associated color, in fact, you do the opposite. Put up a plaque near the area with name and date if you really want to honor the unfortunate loss of a life, but, making like leaving out the color has any connection with anybody or any incident is just illogical and the opposite of respectful.

Last edited:

montyz81

I'm probably going to say something that isn't popular, but, isn't it time we grow up concerning the death aspect of the colors? Does it respect someone when you pick a random point and decide to associate that with the tragedy? What did the color of the train strip have to do with the accident? Do the vast majority of the current guests even know that happened or what the color was? If we associate a death with a color then they could probably need to take the strips off every single train and just number them. I'm sure that every color could upset someone, sometime or someplace. Black comes to mind. What happened was a real tragedy, but, you don't remember that person by eliminating an associated color, in fact, you do the opposite. Put up a plaque near the area with name and date if you really want to honor the unfortunate loss of a life, but, making like leaving out the color has any connection with anybody or any incident is just illogical and the opposite of respectful.
I would agree with you in most cases, but it was Disney that decided to associate those colors with the tragic accident by retiring them. That has now permanently associated the color’s application to the monorail with the deceased. If they applied the same colors after the trains were restored, this would not have created the association. Could it be done again with the new ones going forward? Sure, but I think more people would recognize it and potentially create a PR issue for Disney.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
I would agree with you in most cases, but it was Disney that decided to associate those colors with the tragic accident by retiring them. That has now permanently associated the color’s application to the monorail with the deceased. If they applied the same colors after the trains were restored, this would not have created the association. Could it be done again with the new ones going forward? Sure, but I think more people would recognize it and potentially create a PR issue for Disney.
what they could do if they brought it back, is put the cast members name along side with the color, sortve like a hidden mickey.

s8film40

I'm probably going to say something that isn't popular, but, isn't it time we grow up concerning the death aspect of the colors? Does it respect someone when you pick a random point and decide to associate that with the tragedy? What did the color of the train strip have to do with the accident? Do the vast majority of the current guests even know that happened or what the color was? If we associate a death with a color then they could probably need to take the strips off every single train and just number them. I'm sure that every color could upset someone, sometime or someplace. Black comes to mind. What happened was a real tragedy, but, you don't remember that person by eliminating an associated color, in fact, you do the opposite. Put up a plaque near the area with name and date if you really want to honor the unfortunate loss of a life, but, making like leaving out the color has any connection with anybody or any incident is just illogical and the opposite of respectful.
It was less about memorializing the incident and more about tricking guests into believing those trains were gone. They don't want people saying "ooh, this is the one that was in that accident". That being said time has passed and if they get a whole new set of trains bringing that color back shouldn't be an issue at all since they're new trains. Disneyland kept their purple train, again it's a different train so it's not an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom