Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Lensman

We’re not talking about (D)AK. It’s the TTC.
Are we allowed to speculate about potential TTC changes in this thread? Here are two that I'd like to see:
1. Extend the express platform to give them the capability to run longer trains.
2. Is there additional cover needed for transfers between the resort line and the Epcot line?
What else could be in the works?

Gotcha. It’s not an impossibility but is not connected to this discussion.
Whoa! Martin, did you just say that expansion of the monorail system is not an impossibility?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are we allowed to speculate about potential TTC changes in this thread? Here are two that I'd like to see:
1. Extend the express platform to give them the capability to run longer trains.
2. Is there additional cover needed for transfers between the resort line and the Epcot line?
What else could be in the works?

Whoa! Martin, did you just say that expansion of the monorail system is not an impossibility?
Nothing’s impossible of course but I doubt very very much we’d see monorail expansion.

Bender123

Nothing’s impossible of course but I doubt very very much we’d see monorail expansion.

Nice hedges you have there. ;););)

I doubt it would ever happen, but who knows...If they ever build on that plot north of the TC, I would almost think expansion would be a requirement. Again, better places to build, but damned if they don't keep doing engineering studies on it every couple of years.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Wouldn't they have to find those legendary footings to do that?
I think a member of this forum had made it his personal mission in life to find all of the hidden footers. Alas he encountered his first large dirt pile which was mistaken for a monorail excavation site which prompted him to flee the country.

True Story

jpeden

In the Parks
No
This story has certainly oscillated from one extreme to another and back in a short period. I wonder if this unofficial announcement will force their hand.

Bender123

This story has certainly oscillated from one extreme to another and back in a short period. I wonder if this unofficial announcement will force their hand.

I would put a bet on its somewhere in the middle...I am betting WDW is planning to update the monorails, they have specs and contract terms out and are in a negotiation phase. Generally when this type of rumor swings back and forth with the amount of confirmed knowledge and resources we have, the devil is normally in the details of the terms used. "Having a contract out there" with a manufacturer likely means its going through legal, financial and other reviews and in the negotiation phase. The contracts are real, but they are not yet signed and in effect.

That's just my guess...I could be completely wrong, but having worked on hundreds of contracts, these huge items can take months and even years to 100% finalize.

admiralDax

I would put a bet on its somewhere in the middle...I am betting WDW is planning to update the monorails, they have specs and contract terms out and are in a negotiation phase. Generally when this type of rumor swings back and forth with the amount of confirmed knowledge and resources we have, the devil is normally in the details of the terms used. "Having a contract out there" with a manufacturer likely means its going through legal, financial and other reviews and in the negotiation phase. The contracts are real, but they are not yet signed and in effect.

That's just my guess...I could be completely wrong, but having worked on hundreds of contracts, these huge items can take months and even years to 100% finalize.

As long as we are guessing, I'll add my 2 cents. A well-known member of RADP talked about this several years ago, citing the need to replace the Epcot rails and expand the core system to the west end. She said that they had requested quotes from three companies for phase one and that with such a major expenditure, final decisions were several year off <about now>. I understand from recent offline discussions, that Siemens had submitted a quote and had been turned down, mostly because of issues connected with future developments <phase 2 & beyond>. The CM also said that they were concentrating on setting up smaller means of transportation, to cover the 3 or 4 major areas <hubs> of the resort, such as the gondolas, and that future expansion of the monorail system would be to connect the 'hubs'. She also gave an example of the many systems they were looking at (at the time), the one I remember was an overhead rail system with hanging cars. I am guessing that 'phase one' is this rumored set of new vehicles and that one of the reasons that they are a long time coming is because they wanted to make sure everything would be compatible with any future 'phases'.
Just my guess, time will tell...

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Again Bombardier Transportation has a 34 Billion dollar backlog that is only growing. Between design and manufacturing you are looking at close to 10 years before new vehicles are delivered and installed. (at the earliest)

Disone

Again Bombardier Transportation has a 34 Billion dollar backlog that is only growing. Between design and manufacturing you are looking at close to 10 years before new vehicles are delivered and installed. (at the earliest)
Well.... Bombardier produce lots of types of trains.... Heck transportation. Boeing has had massive delays to their 787 program but that does not affect Boeings ability to deliver other aircrafts. So Bombardier may still be able to produce a monorail even though they are struggling with street cars.

Rodan75

So based on the analyst interpretation of their backlog, there is a 3 yr delay in delivery. Are you adding design to get to 10 yrs? Otherwise the 3 yr timing seems in line with many other changes.

msg7

I really feel that Disney is going to make a strong effort to have at least one by the 50th....... (21-22)

Goofyernmost

So based on the analyst interpretation of their backlog, there is a 3 yr delay in delivery. Are you adding design to get to 10 yrs? Otherwise the 3 yr timing seems in line with many other changes.
I suspect that Disney would already have a specific design in mind and on paper. All Bombardier has to do is build them.

ToTBellHop

I think most of us aren't expecting monorails in the next year. I think most of us assume it's probably 5-10 years out, at least ... but at least they seem on the track to getting them. You'd think there'd be a bit more happiness over it (yes I know we must begrudge them for not doing it sooner and all that stuff ....) ...
I’d bet my left MagicBand TouchPoint it won’t be 10 years. Something will force the issue before then. I suspect Bombardier would work with the scheduling needs of a company like Disney.

lazyboy97o

I suspect that Disney would already have a specific design in mind and on paper. All Bombardier has to do is build them.
Bombardier is now the owner of the technical designs for the Mark VI monorail, being the basis of the INNOVIA 200. It doesn’t make sense to copy Bombardier work and then try to sell it to them for fabrication.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom