News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Another thought.... one of the ways to perhaps make Tron more visually unique within MK (and distinct from Shanghai) would be to make the cycles and general color pallet, at least indoors, as yellow and have the race/crash be against a blue cycle. IIRC, this would be more in line with the first movie anyway since the blue cycles are the evil computer program color and the "good guys" had other colors.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Space Mountain started as Space Port, a concept for Disneyland. Aside from the seating, most of your differences would also apply to Space Mountain in Paris, which was considered different enough that it wasn’t going to use the Space Mountain name.

The Tron bike coaster was also a concept floated for Disneyland’s innoventions replacement back in like 2012ish.

lazyboy97o

The Tron bike coaster was also a concept floated for Disneyland’s innoventions replacement back in like 2012ish.
As a TRON attraction or are you referring to the Star Wars speederbike coaster? TRON Lightcycle Power Run was originally pitched as a co-financed project between the Magic Kingdom and Shanghai Disneyland, but would have been located behind Main Street.

justintheharris

This is just a hypothetical question, but when Disney planned or if they ever do plan for Adventureland to receive a big E-ticket/coaster attraction - where would they more than likely build it? Me being a fan of the Treehouse (they ruined the one at DL, so I love DW's even more so now) and Jungle Cruise, I would be pretty sad if one had to go. But which one would most likely be axed? I would think the Treehouse for obvious reasons, but I am curious. Or would it have been/will it be both to maximize the most out of the real estate in that area? That would be a double whammy for me. If it ever does happen, I would hope only one has to go.

I honestly probably would still be enthused if Disney ever did build a brand new E-ticket in ADVL. But at the same time, I would be extremely sad to see another classic DW attraction bulldozed. I don't think the Treehouse or Jungle Cruise being torn down would ever be as heartbreaking for me personally as Universe of Energy, the original Journey Into Imagination, Kitchen Kabaret, Horizons or World of Motion being replaced - but it would still hurt.

Supposedly (and I have asked this to cast members in the park) there is enough room between Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean if they could work out what to do about the parade route. I personally think a volcano rollercoaster would be great there called Fire Mountain (which has been discussed many time I'm sure) so that way you have three mountains in a row and it can be called 'the mountain chain of Magic Kingdom.'

However, not all cast members know everything and I'm sure many many MANY people will dispute me on the fact that there isn't enough room between Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean and they could totally be right about that.

BrianLo

As a TRON attraction or are you referring to the Star Wars speederbike coaster? TRON Lightcycle Power Run was originally pitched as a co-financed project between the Magic Kingdom and Shanghai Disneyland, but would have been located behind Main Street.

I may have the year mixed up but it existed somewhere as a semi-serious proposal before being overtaken by Iron man and the great capital investment freeze Iger instituted.

I think it predates the Lucasfilm purchase.

fngoofy

I don't think Tron is the best decision for the Magic Kingdom, but in the grand scheme of things it's far from a problem. Most of the decisions being made in Epcot from 2007-2021 bother me a lot more.

Why not?

The movie is a take on the future or "tomorrow" you might say. Humans existing in virtual space and AI existing in real space. I've seen numerous articles recently saying we are getting closer to this becoming a reality. I think in 50yrs people will look back on Tron the way we look at the late 60s Star Trek and see our everyday devices envisioned (smart phones, data discs, voice interaction with computers, massive databases, etc.)

Justsayinzall.

lazyboy97o

I may have the year mixed up but it existed somewhere as a semi-serious proposal before being overtaken by Iron man and the great capital investment freeze Iger instituted.

I think it predates the Lucasfilm purchase.
I wonder if they briefly tried to sell California on co-financing after Florida passed.

Professortango1

Which Space Mountain do you ride that you sit on a bike?

You sit in a coaster car. Just like Tron. There's a lot of willful ignorance here. It's like people would say Rockin Rollercoaster is totally different from The Mummy. It's pretty obvious that Tron is similar to Space Mountain. Exactly the same? Of course not. But clearly similar.

Mike S

Why not?

The movie is a take on the future or "tomorrow" you might say. Humans existing in virtual space and AI existing in real space. I've seen numerous articles recently saying we are getting closer to this becoming a reality. I think in 50yrs people will look back on Tron the way we look at the late 60s Star Trek and see our everyday devices envisioned (smart phones, data discs, voice interaction with computers, massive databases, etc.)

Justsayinzall.
Screw Tron. I want Ready Player One to be a future reality :inlove:

Tron only has Tron. The OASIS is everything including Tron :p

crxbrett

Supposedly (and I have asked this to cast members in the park) there is enough room between Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean if they could work out what to do about the parade route. I personally think a volcano rollercoaster would be great there called Fire Mountain (which has been discussed many time I'm sure) so that way you have three mountains in a row and it can be called 'the mountain chain of Magic Kingdom.'

However, not all cast members know everything and I'm sure many many MANY people will dispute me on the fact that there isn't enough room between Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean and they could totally be right about that.

Ahhhhh, well then if that was/or is the case, I am all for a new Adventureland E-ticket! A new addition without replacing an existing attraction is always ideal of course. A volcano attraction or even something Indy themed would be pretty amazing. I already love that side of the park more than the FL/TL side. Another E-ticket attraction would only solidify my love for the western half of the Magic Kingdom.

Would that be a balance issue for crowds, though? TRON will help bring more crowds onto that side, thus helping spread crowds put. But then another E on the Adventureland side would counteract that. Does Disney ever really factor that sort of thing much, though?

Movielover

You sit in a coaster car. Just like Tron. There's a lot of willful ignorance here. It's like people would say Rockin Rollercoaster is totally different from The Mummy. It's pretty obvious that Tron is similar to Space Mountain. Exactly the same? Of course not. But clearly similar.

1522653974459.png

1522653987523.png

Ah yes its like looking at the same picture, these two rides have exactly the same experience...

Gotta love that ignorance!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm still trying to figure out the similarities outside of fact the 2 are coasters. Please Enlighten me.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Two Sci-fi based indoor rollercoasters in the dark?
But that is really the extent of the similarities. TRON is an actual IP from a 2 film series that really has nothing to do with anything related to Space. Space Mountain is (in my simple mind and humble option) a space rocket coaster that traverses Space. TRON while mostly indoor, does have an outdoor element to it as well and the experiences are quite different (one riding a "cycle" and the other of course riding a "shuttle" in a sit down position). I guess we are splitting hairs but that's just one man's opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Two Sci-fi based indoor rollercoasters in the dark?

Is Space Mountain really Sci-Fi, though? Space travel isn't fiction. Passenger space travel is nigh (and given that a few people have already bought their way to space, can be argued is already here).

For the few who say TRON should have gone to Epcot's FW and GotG:IU gone to TL; I say that Space Mountain should go to FW instead.

Kman101

Interesting you bring up the word ignorance.

I've said they're similar, many of us don't care. You keep going on and on about TRON and how awful it is. We get it. We know how you feel about it.

And no you don't sit in a coaster car. You sit on a bike in TRON. It's not the same.

I'd appreciate not being called ignorant for having a different opinion on it. Thanks.

Kman101

But that is really the extent of the similarities. TRON is an actual IP from a 2 film series that really has nothing to do with anything related to Space. Space Mountain is (in my simple mind and humble option) a space rocket coaster that traverses Space. TRON while mostly indoor, does have an outdoor element to it as well and the experiences are quite different (one riding a "cycle" and the other of course riding a "shuttle" in a sit down position). I guess we are splitting hairs but that's just one man's opinion.

Shh. It's bad and doesn't fit. We keep getting told this so it must be true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom