News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Jones14

I see what both sides mean. On one hand, TRON was built to be the rollercoaster in the dark E-Ticket for Shanghai’s Tomorrowland, the spiritual successor to Space Mountain.

On the other hand, that doesn’t mean that is all it will be for Magic Kingdom, a park that is lacking both a strong draw on the east side of the park, and a 21st century E Ticket to herald in the most visited theme park.

It also happens to be a preexisting ride that has proven to be immensely popular, and fits into its chosen land nicely. Is it the solution to all of MK’s problems? No. Does that make it a bad choice? I don’t think so.

huwar18

Tron and Space Mountain are completely different though. For some reason it seems that coasters are all lumped into one group while dark rides don't face the same scrutiny.

I completely agree that they are hard to compare. However, dark rides can be close in proximity because it is easy to differentiate dark rides. The whole park could be dark rides and you might never know that they are all the same track or ride vehicle. You can hide all that in theme and show. I think that is harder to do with roller coasters. At some point, they are just roller coasters. Yea, both have different themes. They have visual aspects that help distinguish the themes of space and tron computer aspect. It just doesn't feel like Disney to me. Just my opinion, though. Don't get me wrong, I think Tron looks fun. I think it will be Disney's excuse to shut down Space Mountain because it is "too" expensive to fix. :p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
On the other hand, that doesn’t mean that is all it will be for Magic Kingdom, a park that is lacking both a strong draw on the east side of the park, and a 21st century E Ticket to herald in the most visited theme park..
Space Mountain is a huge draw on the east side of the park.

The money this is costing could have been better spent in fixing up what’s already on the east side of the park and adding a new "21st century E Ticket" to the west of the park. This would also have avoided building an indoor sci-fi rollercoaster in the dark next to an indoor sci-fi rollercoaster in the dark. But what do I know.

Jones14

Space Mountain is a huge draw on the east side of the park.

The money this is costing could have been better spent in fixing up what’s already on the east side of the park and adding a new "21st century E Ticket" to the west of the park. This would also have avoided building an indoor rollercoaster in the dark next to an indoor rollercoaster in the dark. But what do I know.
Right, but they don’t want to shut Space Mountain down because they’ve cornered themselves into desperately needing the capacity. Pair that with a shiny new toy in Shanghai and a dying Tomorrowland and here comes TRON.

I’m not trying to defend it, I’m just trying to understand it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Right, but they don’t want to shut Space Mountain down because they’ve cornered themselves into desperately needing the capacity. Pair that with a shiny new toy in Shanghai and a dying Tomorrowland and here comes TRON.

I’m not trying to defend it, I’m just trying to understand it.
If Space Mountain had to be shut in the next three years they’d really be in a quandary then.

wdwgreek

I see what both sides mean. On one hand, TRON was built to be the rollercoaster in the dark E-Ticket for Shanghai’s Tomorrowland, the spiritual successor to Space Mountain.

On the other hand, that doesn’t mean that is all it will be for Magic Kingdom, a park that is lacking both a strong draw on the east side of the park, and a 21st century E Ticket to herald in the most visited theme park.

It also happens to be a preexisting ride that has proven to be immensely popular, and fits into its chosen land nicely. Is it the solution to all of MK’s problems? No. Does that make it a bad choice? I don’t think so.

It is actually a nice choice all and all. Its a roller coaster which is a huge sell, its thematically appropriate, and it will be a good cover for a renovation for SM down the road. I wish it had a higher capacity but its a new build and not a replacement. All and all its a good deal for us.

phillip9698

I completely agree that they are hard to compare. However, dark rides can be close in proximity because it is easy to differentiate dark rides. The whole park could be dark rides and you might never know that they are all the same track or ride vehicle. You can hide all that in theme and show. I think that is harder to do with roller coasters. At some point, they are just roller coasters. Yea, both have different themes. They have visual aspects that help distinguish the themes of space and tron computer aspect. It just doesn't feel like Disney to me. Just my opinion, though. Don't get me wrong, I think Tron looks fun. I think it will be Disney's excuse to shut down Space Mountain because it is "too" expensive to fix. :p

Thanks for that, I kinda had a feeling that was the real reason but many don't like to actually say it.

As you say coasters are just coasters is the thought many have even though they can have different themes, ride vehicles, show scenes, launches, etc... If someone were to say Small World and Living With The Land were the same simply because they both involve boats they would be slammed.

Kman101

I'm capable of differentiating between Tron and Space Mountain. I think most guests are also capable of that. I do agree their premises are similar, so it's not the same as comparing boat rides, but you could dismiss anything if you pick hard enough at it.

Kman101

If you judge them by how you sit, then they are two of the most different rides at the resort.

It definitely helps. They aren't even the same coaster cars. One's a bike, the other isn't. But yeah, they're identical ;) . (The launch is the only thing that reminds me of Space Mountain). Space Mountain at MK is darker as you go through the show building. Not to mention there are two sides. TRON you see the grid and lights. Sure it's similar but they're different enough that most guests won't care. Was it the *best* choice for MK? I've said no, not at this time, but it's not replacing anything (currently) -- which we should be applauding -- and I think they're different enough for me that I'm not upset by it coming. If it means SM gets demo'd, then get back to me ... I know some people cling to the costs of these things as reasons to dislike them, and I agree they could do more with the money, but if you get upset at everything they do and spend money on you'll never ever be happy with what they do. Nothing wrong with feeling that way, but sometimes the whole 'theme' excuse comes off as a mask for just not liking what they're doing or what they're spending, and that's fine, just say that ....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Even if they are deemed to be (too) similar (which, IMO, they're not), the coasters in MK have the biggest lines. It's an extra track and more coaster capacity.

If thematically MK needs a differently themed coaster, there's still the option for an Adventureland one (preferably in place of Jungle Cruise <gasp!>). And with regard to the having appropriate themes, TL and the barrier between TL and FL needed a lot of work, and if this is the time to fix TL, then the TRON LC and Racers fit the bill perfectly. IMO.

Kman101

They could always put a coaster behind Crystal Palace and get rid of the Tree House. Let's be glad they aren't, currently, replacing something with TRON. It's an actual addition.

crxbrett

This is just a hypothetical question, but when Disney planned or if they ever do plan for Adventureland to receive a big E-ticket/coaster attraction - where would they more than likely build it? Me being a fan of the Treehouse (they ruined the one at DL, so I love DW's even more so now) and Jungle Cruise, I would be pretty sad if one had to go. But which one would most likely be axed? I would think the Treehouse for obvious reasons, but I am curious. Or would it have been/will it be both to maximize the most out of the real estate in that area? That would be a double whammy for me. If it ever does happen, I would hope only one has to go.

I honestly probably would still be enthused if Disney ever did build a brand new E-ticket in ADVL. But at the same time, I would be extremely sad to see another classic DW attraction bulldozed. I don't think the Treehouse or Jungle Cruise being torn down would ever be as heartbreaking for me personally as Universe of Energy, the original Journey Into Imagination, Kitchen Kabaret, Horizons or World of Motion being replaced - but it would still hurt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom