News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Mike S

I don’t believe I ever said that you’re okay with it is wrong.

Like other mistakes being made - or possibly about to be made - there’s nothing a fan board can do about it.
The problem is with numbers. Forums have been successful before but you need a ton of people.

EricsBiscuit

Space Mountain is a huge draw on the east side of the park.

The money this is costing could have been better spent in fixing up what’s already on the east side of the park and adding a new "21st century E Ticket" to the west of the park. This would also have avoided building an indoor sci-fi rollercoaster in the dark next to an indoor sci-fi rollercoaster in the dark. But what do I know.
I think we all agree the money could have been better spent but disney probably would've just done something not as good with the money. Troy is probably the best realistic outcome we could have hoped for.

Kman101

The problem is with numbers. Forums have been successful before but you need a ton of people.

We have a lot of people; it's just a matter of uniting them. But Disney doesn't seem to care so it's kind of hard to rally when they do what they want anyway. It's the masses that need to speak out but they aren't so Disney keeps doing what they're doing.

lazyboy97o

Everest doesn't constantly break down every single day. Strobe-Light Yeti is fine to them.

Space Mountain is in a TTTTEERRIBBLE state of disrepair where tracks literally need to be replaced. There's a difference.
Space Mountain has been in terrible shape for years and it too is fine to Disney. The Space Mountains also have short dispatch intervals that makes it very easy for them to cascade into an E-Stop.

Mike S

We have a lot of people; it's just a matter of uniting them. But Disney doesn't seem to care so it's kind of hard to rally when they do what they want anyway. It's the masses that need to speak out but they aren't so Disney keeps doing what they're doing.
I’m talking in the millions and possibly more. It also helps when the company sees a possible detriment to profits along with the online campaign which is the most difficult thing to accomplish here.

A million or so not buying a video game? Easy peesy compared to making a dent in WDW.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Space Mountain has been in terrible shape for years and it too is fine to Disney. The Space Mountains also have short dispatch intervals that makes it very easy for them to cascade into an E-Stop.

Ya'll remember when I said it was a theory, and not a fact? Everyone's just looking to argue argue argue all the time on these forums. The whole "I know more stuff than you, noob!" gets pretty annoying sometimes.

lazyboy97o

Ya'll remember when I said it was a theory, and not a fact? Everyone's just looking to argue argue argue all the time on these forums. The whole "I know more stuff than you, noob!" gets pretty annoying sometimes.
Nobody attacked you or your knowledge. Your speculation isn’t unreasonable and seems to be rather widely desired, as it is a thought that has come up multiple times. That doesn’t mean you have to be hostile towards similar speculation from the past or the tight operational demands that would likely continue even after an intensive refurbishment.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Nobody attacked you or your knowledge. Your speculation isn’t unreasonable and seems to be rather widely desired, as it is a thought that has come up multiple times. That doesn’t mean you have to be hostile towards similar speculation from the past or the tight operational demands that would likely continue even after an intensive refurbishment.
giphy.gif

PizzaPlanet

The fact that nothing is being lost with this project makes it hard for me to get upset about, especially compared to the recent losses of GMR and UOE. TDO could have made an awful decision when placing a new coaster in the MK. I'll take Tron anyday over that awful TSI coaster proposal. I know the money would have been better spent elsewhere, but I feel like we have to pick our battles and I personally don't feel this is something worth getting worked up about.

RSoxNo1

I don’t believe I ever said that you’re okay with it is wrong.

Like other mistakes being made - or possibly about to be made - there’s nothing a fan board can do about it.
I don't think Tron is the best decision for the Magic Kingdom, but in the grand scheme of things it's far from a problem. Most of the decisions being made in Epcot from 2007-2021 bother me a lot more.

Professortango1

Thanks for that, I kinda had a feeling that was the real reason but many don't like to actually say it.

As you say coasters are just coasters is the thought many have even though they can have different themes, ride vehicles, show scenes, launches, etc... If someone were to say Small World and Living With The Land were the same simply because they both involve boats they would be slammed.

Because the show scenes differentiate the rides. The show in Tron and Space Mountain are similar as is the ride system.

Haymarket2008

The fact that nothing is being lost with this project makes it hard for me to get upset about, especially compared to the recent losses of GMR and UOE. TDO could have made an awful decision when placing a new coaster in the MK. I'll take Tron anyday over that awful TSI coaster proposal. I know the money would have been better spent elsewhere, but I feel like we have to pick our battles and I personally don't feel this is something worth getting worked up about.

This is exactly how I view the situation. I’m just thankful it isn’t an addition by subtraction. It’s a pure expansion to a park that needs the capacity.

doctornick

I haven't been to Shanghai, but the two rides in question don't seem that similar at all to me....

"bike" seating versus sitting in an enclosed vehicle
launch coaster versus lift hill
outdoor portion versus completely inside
inside portion being lit up (including "racing" with the yellow bikes) versus sensory deprivation of being in (essentially) total darkness and not being able to know what to expect next.

And, of course, the entire themes aren't similar at all. One is going into a fictional computer realm and the other into outer space. Outside of the color blue, as someone previously mentioned, I'm befuddled how people view the experiences as all that similar at all.

As an aside, if we are talking about "purpose" -- wasn't Space Mountain supposed to be MK's equivalent to the Matterhorn? And yet DL got their own version of Space located not far away from the Swiss mountain -- are people bothered by that as well?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I haven't been to Shanghai, but the two rides in question don't seem all that similar at all to me....

"bike" seating versus sitting in an enclosed vehicle
launch coaster versus lift hill
outdoor portion versus completely inside
inside portion being lit up (including "racing" with the yellow bikes) versus sensory deprivation of being in (essentially) total darkness and not being able to know what to expect next.

And, of course, the entire themes aren't similar at all. One is going into a fictional computer realm and the other into outer space. Outside of the color blue, as someone previously mentioned, I'm befuddled how people view the experiences as all that similar at all.

As an aside, if we are talking about "purpose" -- wasn't Space Mountain supposed to be MK's equivalent to the Matterhorn? And yet DL got their own version of Space located not far away from the Swiss mountain -- are people bothered by that as well?
Space Mountain started as Space Port, a concept for Disneyland. Aside from the seating, most of your differences would also apply to Space Mountain in Paris, which was considered different enough that it wasn’t going to use the Space Mountain name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom