News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

Two Sci-fi based indoor rollercoasters in the dark?

Who's made the rule that two coasters can't exist next to each other? A bit redudant, maybe. But why is this really such a big issue? (We've been over and I agree I wish the money were going elsewhere but I don't use that as a reason to dislike it; I know they're similar and I don't mind, I think we should pick our battles and I don't understand this one)

montyz81

You sit in a coaster car. Just like Tron. There's a lot of willful ignorance here. It's like people would say Rockin Rollercoaster is totally different from The Mummy. It's pretty obvious that Tron is similar to Space Mountain. Exactly the same? Of course not. But clearly similar.
By this logic, you could say SSE and Tron are the same. You sit in a car on a coaster track (although SSE doesn't coast).

Kman101

View attachment 274508

View attachment 274509

Ah yes its like looking at the same picture, these two rides have exactly the same experience...

Gotta love that ignorance!

Thank you.

Yep. We're totally ignorant. THEY'RE IDENTICAL!!! SHAMEFUL!

Wouldn't TRON in DHS next to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster also be the same argument then? But I bet it won't.

Hilarious that having the "same car" is an argument against it when they don't have the same ride vehicle at all.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
View attachment 274508

View attachment 274509

Ah yes its like looking at the same picture, these two rides have exactly the same experience...
I'm still trying to figure out the similarities outside of fact the 2 are coasters. Please Enlighten me.
Two Sci-fi based indoor rollercoasters in the dark?

Well... there's coaster track, both sets of vehicles have mains and upstops, and there's a lot of blue...

and you're gonna have to wait at least a couple of hours (stand-by) to ride either one of them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Who's made the rule that two coasters can't exist next to each other? A bit redudant, maybe. But why is this really such a big issue?
Because it’s not two coasters next to each other. It’s two sci-fi based indoor rollercoasters in the dark next to each other. It is not a rule. It’s just something that could have accomplished all the set goals in a better way.

PS I didn’t say I dislike the Tron ride.

Kman101

Because it’s not two coasters next to each other. It’s two sci-fi based indoor rollercoasters in the dark next to each other. It is not a rule. It’s just something that could have accomplished all the set goals in a better way.

PS I didn’t say I dislike the Tron ride.

I know you don't. I understand they're similar and it's frustrating they aren't building something else. I get it. I also get it's maddening the amount of money they spend. I guess when I think of it and say, Guardians, TRON looks fine to me. LOL. I also think different ride vehicles help. I don't think they're exactly identical but I know why it bothers some people that it's going next to SM. Not totally trying to dismiss that, but I think they're ultimately different enough. Some don't. That's OK. I think we're kind of silly going back and forth over this when they're putting Guardians into Epcot.

Incomudro

Is Space Mountain really Sci-Fi, though? Space travel isn't fiction. Passenger space travel is nigh (and given that a few people have already bought their way to space, can be argued is already here).

For the few who say TRON should have gone to Epcot's FW and GotG:IU gone to TL; I say that Space Mountain should go to FW instead.

If Space Mountain was about the Lunar Landing missions, I wouldn't call it Sci Fi.
But, it's a rocket trip, and when you exit you pass futuristic sets and destinations - so definitely Sci Fi.

sedati

Everything could be better. Watch the first quarter of any of Martin's wonderful videos and you will see the more ambitious "might have beens" of the blue-sky phases. His most recent video on "The Land," shows pretty well how a truly ambitious project can be scaled down, and still be ambitious and great.

Movielover

Thank you.

Yep. We're totally ignorant. THEY'RE IDENTICAL!!! SHAMEFUL!

Wouldn't TRON in DHS next to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster also be the same argument then? But I bet it won't.

Hilarious that having the "same car" is an argument against it when they don't have the same ride vehicle at all.

Clearly my sarcasm went over your head and I apologize for not using the ";)" to bring this to your attention.

I am very much looking forward to Tron and it's location.

Bocabear

If Space Mountain was about the Lunar Landing missions, I wouldn't call it Sci Fi.
But, it's a rocket trip, and when you exit you pass futuristic sets and destinations - so definitely Sci Fi.
The original storyline to Space Mountain,( amd there was a sort of storyline) You are currently on a space station...Observing the cosmos and then taking a rocket shuttle back to earth...and it all takes place way in the future...And when you land on earth you pass through the Home Of Future living showing what modern advances people are living with...Then the endcap of "Here's To The Future...led by RCA!...So Sci-Fi? yes in the truest sense of the word... but maybe not the same Sci-Fi that we currently think of... It was also a brighter happier future...No wars or battles or superheroes...No arch villaINS... just a happy look at a utopian future...

Kman101

Clearly my sarcasm went over your head and I apologize for not using the ";)" to bring this to your attention.

I am very much looking forward to Tron and it's location.

No, I got your post, lol. The sarcasm was geared towards the poster who called us ignorant about the coaster cars. I was mocking them, not you :) I was happy to see a post with the two very different ride vehicles to show they are nothing alike.

comics101

I know you don't. I understand they're similar and it's frustrating they aren't building something else. I get it. I also get it's maddening the amount of money they spend. I guess when I think of it and say, Guardians, TRON looks fine to me. LOL. I also think different ride vehicles help. I don't think they're exactly identical but I know why it bothers some people that it's going next to SM. Not totally trying to dismiss that, but I think they're ultimately different enough. Some don't. That's OK. I think we're kind of silly going back and forth over this when they're putting Guardians into Epcot.

I'm more worried about the aesthetics of Tomorrowland than I am about the fact that two sci-fi coasters will be next to each other. The potential for ruining Space Mountain's impact on the area's skyline is a massive concern, IMO.

Professortango1

Interesting you bring up the word ignorance.

I've said they're similar, many of us don't care. You keep going on and on about TRON and how awful it is. We get it. We know how you feel about it.

And no you don't sit in a coaster car. You sit on a bike in TRON. It's not the same.

I'd appreciate not being called ignorant for having a different opinion on it. Thanks.

You are still locked into the coaster vehicle in Tron. Legs, back, chest.

Professortango1

View attachment 274508

View attachment 274509

Gotta love that ignorance!
Never said exact, but keep moving those goal posts. Merely said the rides are obviously similar. Sitting in a coaster zooming around a mostly black void with projection elements. Both have cold stark designs with blue tones. To pretend they aren't similar is pretty obtuse.

You can admit that and still be excited for it. No problem with people liking it.

Castle Cake Apologist

Poster A: "TRON sucks and is a terrible fit and will be too similar to Space Mountain!!! You're stupid if you disagree."
Poster B: "No, TRON is awesome and is a great fit and is nothing like Space Mountain!!! You're the stupid one for disagreeing with me."
Poster A: "Stop persecuting me for my opinions!"
Poster B: "No! You stop persecuting ME for mine!"

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom