News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

ToTBellHop

I’ve been told Disney was meeting with some companies this past week on possible train replacements...
Probably just alerting them all that they won't be receiving a rose:

caila-quinn-02-a6a00f7e-f687-42d5-b8f1-2aec10ad2593.gif

source.gif

msg7

What about the tracks?
I'm no transportation expert but I imagine that they would be able to size the underside of the train to the beam accordingly.

Question to everyone: Do you guys think they'll use an existing monorail design (Innovia 300) or design the Mark VIII from scratch? I was watching Mickey Views (a pretty good Disney Parks youtube channel), Brayden, the host, suggested that they just re-do the interior and exteriors of the passenger cabins similar to Disneyland's Mark Viis while keeping the same passenger car and get new cab cars. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Myth Maker

I'm no transportation expert but I imagine that they would be able to size the underside of the train to the beam accordingly.

Question to everyone: Do you guys think they'll use an existing monorail design (Innovia 300) or design the Mark VIII from scratch? I was watching Mickey Views (a pretty good Disney Parks youtube channel), Brayden, the host, suggested that they just re-do the interior and exteriors of the passenger cabins similar to Disneyland's Mark Viis while keeping the same passenger car and get new cab cars. Thoughts?

The only real benefit I see of the 300 series to the 200 series is the walk through trains. This would allow more capacity and for an attendant to be on board to clean the trains while they are running.

I believe the beams are 3' wide as well, allowing a train to beam evac of the entire train. A much safer design.

The 200 series has walk through "cars" allowing more capacity and flush platform loading. Watch the video of the automated full height platform doors of the Las Vegas monorail for an example.

Honestly if we get a replacement, I would expect to see a 200 series trains as they are much more compatible with the current system.

s8film40

If they were thinking of getting new trains. The Innovia 200 is probably the most likely. Anytime trains like this are ordered it’s not like you’re buying a pre-manufactured thing. It’s all very custom. I would expect they would do something a little more Disney styled built upon the Innovia 200 train.

Rebuilding the existing monorails would probably be a really great way to go. Perhaps they could build two new trains from the ground up and then use those as a replacement to cycle trains out two at a time to be rebuilt. Also not sure of the YouTube thing you mention, but “cab cars” are not seperate cars so not sure what was meant by that.

Myth Maker

If they were thinking of getting new trains. The Innovia 200 is probably the most likely. Anytime trains like this are ordered it’s not like you’re buying a pre-manufactured thing. It’s all very custom. I would expect they would do something a little more Disney styled built upon the Innovia 200 train.

Rebuilding the existing monorails would probably be a really great way to go. Perhaps they could build two new trains from the ground up and then use those as a replacement to cycle trains out two at a time to be rebuilt. Also not sure of the YouTube thing you mention, but “cab cars” are not seperate cars so not sure what was meant by that.

Honestly the doors and the flush loading should be a huge priority, plus opening up both sides of the car to allow for more scooters and strollers.. The 200 series solves these both. I hope new trains and not a rebuild is in order.

msg7

Rebuilding the existing monorails would probably be a really great way to go. Perhaps they could build two new trains from the ground up and then use those as a replacement to cycle trains out two at a time to be rebuilt. Also not sure of the YouTube thing you mention, but “cab cars” are not separate cars so not sure what was meant by that.

I'm not that familiar with the DLR monorail upgrades but, in the video he said that they re-designed and remodeled the lead cars. Back to the 200's though, personally, I'm not a fan of the nose. I think that Disney should stick with the classic lear jet nose. Also, would Disney change the seating arrangement?

Myth Maker

I'm not that familiar with the DLR monorail upgrades but, in the video he said that they re-designed and remodeled the lead cars. Back to the 200's though, personally, I'm not a fan of the nose. I think that Disney should stick with the classic lear jet nose. Also, I'm assuming Disney would probably change the seating arrangement.

I agree on the nose ... the shell could use some styling upgrades for disney's liking. I think the seating arrangement on the 200's is okay considering the onslaught of strollers and mobility scooters they get.

msg7

I agree on the nose ... the shell could use some styling upgrades for disney's liking. I think the seating arrangement on the 200's is okay considering the onslaught of strollers and mobility scooters they get.
I'm looking over the specs of the 200 and the capacity seems to be about the same, if not a little less then the current Mark VI's. That could wind up being a problem.

Myth Maker

I'm looking over the specs of the 200 and the capacity seems to be about the same, if not a little less then the current Mark VI's. That could wind up being a problem.

What they have done is opened up each car so instead of two smaller seating compartments they have one large seating compartment. Less or the same amount of seats but more floor space.

msg7

What if they went with a company that we necessarily haven’t thought about?
Was just thinking about this. I think this is viable. While I respect what everyone is saying about the 200 being a likely choice, I have a gut feeling that WDI will design a new monorail from scratch. Think about it, every monorail that Disney has created so far was custom designed by them. No "off the shelf models."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

No no...what about when they have to replace the tracks?

A private company who's stock obsessed replacing a circuit that's roughly 15 miles long and eating that cost...

And i know someone who works for an engineering company who does primarily transportation...

My point is it's a lot more longterm than replacing the trains. The practical plan is not really for disney to replace the monorails.

the.dreamfinder

I'm not that familiar with the DLR monorail upgrades but, in the video he said that they re-designed and remodeled the lead cars. Back to the 200's though, personally, I'm not a fan of the nose. I think that Disney should stick with the classic lear jet nose. Also, would Disney change the seating arrangement?
As @lazyboy97o could tell you best, the Mark VII monorails were something of a sh-tshow.

Rteetz

Was just thinking about this. I think this is viable. While I respect what everyone is saying about the 200 being a likely choice, I have a gut feeling that WDI will design a new monorail from scratch. Think about it, every monorail that Disney has created so far was custom designed by them. No "off the shelf models."
I’m thinking about a major company that I haven’t seen named here yet.

the.dreamfinder

I’m thinking about a major company that I haven’t seen named here yet.
Going through the list of possible partners.

Named
Siemens (Shanghai Maglev)
Bombardier (Legacy WED-Alweg System)

Not Named
Alstom
Hitatchi Monorail (Tokyo Disney Resort Line)
Intamin (Moscow and Shenzhen)
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom