• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

crxbrett

Advertisement
The panel he pulled leads to the escape hatch. They have the cables so they don't fall all the way off, and need to be put back in place by maintenance.

That makes more sense as to why he was able to do it easily then. It was the only time I have ever seen that while riding, though. Probably happens a lot I guess.

SKYWAY 4 ME

Yea , with all the money they are spending on bridges , roads , sewer lines . We can't possibly see how they could fix a door !

DryCreek

Almost like riding in a UH-1 Huey helicopter with the doors open and strapped in, going low over the treeline!​
Cue 'Flight of the Valkiries'...
Man, if they only let us pivot a "Ma Deuce" from the door!
Of course, someone would probably complain about all of the brass raining down on them. Always a complainer around.........

jbolen2

I wonder what the talk is about this situation from the higher ups? There had to be a meeting of some type about the options on the monorail going forward short/long term with this last incident.

DoubleJ21

I wonder what the talk is about this situation from the higher ups? There had to be a meeting of some type about the options on the monorail going forward short/long term with this last incident.
We can only hope...but given they had the same band-aid response in 2009, I'm not holding my breath.

Cameron1529

IF Disney finally breaks down and orders 12 INNOVIA 300 class monorails from Bombardier, what Design changes do you think they will make to the trains aside from the obvious continuation of livery.

Also, how do you folks feel about this?
View attachment 258633
I am sure Disney will attempt to make the monorails handle larger capacites, through certain design changes. In relation to the picture I think the walkway is too skinny to fit strollers, wheelchairs etc. It needs to be more accessible.

lazyboy97o

IF Disney finally breaks down and orders 12 INNOVIA 300 class monorails from Bombardier, what Design changes do you think they will make to the trains aside from the obvious continuation of livery.

Also, how do you folks feel about this?
View attachment 258633
The 300s are too large for Walt Disney World. Not just the beamway but also the vertical clearances through the Contemporary.

msg7

Personally, I think Disney should and will keep the iconic lear jet nose design if they try to keep the same retro-future theme. (My complete opinion about the aesthetics of the new monorails is posted a few pages back.) That being said, if they go with a more Disneyland-Esque design, they might do away with it.

I am sure Disney will attempt to make the monorails handle larger capacites, through certain design changes. In relation to the picture I think the walkway is too skinny to fit strollers, wheelchairs etc. It needs to be more accessible.
If I'm correct, I believe a set of wheels (oversized rubber tires) is located between each car which is why this would be a problem.

Rteetz

Well this is great news to ponder next time I’m chugging along over to EPCOT up in the air. Can you elaborate?
If I recall correctly the Epcot line was built onsite whereas the original MK lines were built offsite (I think in Seattle) and trucked onto property. The big difference is being built in different climates. Florida isn't exactly the same as Seattle. The Epcot line is in worse shape than the MK line yet MK is the original.

DoubleJ21

If this point hasn't already been made: with Epcot receiving a futuristic overhaul to "Future World", perhaps now really is when Disney is preparing for a new monorail fleet. Although I don't mind look of the Mark VI, it's a retro design that would be out of place traveling through the refreshed Future World on the Epcot loop. Food for thought.

mikejs78

Premium Member
If this point hasn't already been made: with Epcot receiving a futuristic overhaul to "Future World", perhaps now really is when Disney is preparing for a new monorail fleet. Although I don't mind look of the Mark VI, it's a retro design that would be out of place traveling through the refreshed Future World on the Epcot loop. Food for thought.
I don't think we know that the Epcot overhaul will be futuristic. There's been rumors of a name change to Future World and the PR mantra these days includes phrases like 'more timeless'.

Brad Bishop

If I recall correctly the Epcot line was built onsite whereas the original MK lines were built offsite (I think in Seattle) and trucked onto property. The big difference is being built in different climates. Florida isn't exactly the same as Seattle. The Epcot line is in worse shape than the MK line yet MK is the original.
It was the material used. They used localized material in Florida which amounted to lime which will erode away with water. You can see more patchwork on the Epcot line, if you're riding up front which you can no longer do, and possibly feel it compared with the Express and Resort lines.

Top Bottom