A Spirited Valentine ...

mickEblu

I do agree, but the autopia track runs on top of the show building for the subs so that really is two attractions in the majority of that space. Also the monorail is built over some of it as well (and that's considered a ride here on the west coast as opposed to hotel transportation). The people mover/rocket rods also traveled over part of that area and those tracks still exist there so back in the day that area had 4 distinct attractions in that same space. Now there are 3 in that space but it could definitely be used better.

That true. There are 3 attractions in that space although the monorail could be rerouted so I don't think that one is a big deal. As far as the Subs I think more people are attached to the lagoon than the actual ride. Also, a lot of the space mentioned is still strictly space only being used for Autopia.

On a positive note, since SWL didn't go into TL, an original land was preserved and hopefully means that there will be a complete re-do at some point.

Last edited:

trainplane3

Nothing that couldn't have made it to August 13th. It was just regularly scheduled maintenance. Like @lazyboy97o said, the people who operate and maintain these facilities and attractions are not generally involved in planning their future.
That's what I figured. What a waste. I'm hoping to get a ride on UoE the Friday before the 13th and one final one on the 13th. I truly wonder if there'll be a line for a change.

doctornick

No one is saying it will happen tomorrow but insiders have long said the rivers have been "looked at". Just because they do work on the Belle doesn't mean anything. We have no solid info saying they're in danger right now but plans at different times have existed I believe @marni1971

To be fair, the sense I've gotten is not that they would bulldoze the area and fill in the river if they ever got to re-purposing. It seems more likely they'd just stop the river traffic (maybe permanently dock the Liberty Belle) and build bridges to TSI with perhaps a retheming of the island. I'm skeptical they'd just get rid of the RoA entirely.

That said, they went to pretty big lengths to preserve the RoA and traffic there at DL and they are far more desperate in need of land at that park. So, it at least bodes well that there is some respect for retaining the area. (Yeah, yeah, I know DL and Walt and all the locals who protest every change.)

NearTheEars

That's what I figured. What a waste. I'm hoping to get a ride on UoE the Friday before the 13th and one final one on the 13th. I truly wonder if there'll be a line for a change.

Just rode it today. It also happened to be my first time riding. Not sure why after 6+ years of being an AP I never ventured over to Energy. It was OK. Definitely didn't expect the dinosaur part to last so long. Also for being so old, I think it managed to hold up pretty well since they didn't really do a deep scientific dive into the different forms of energy.

Unfortunately I did see several people turn and walk away after seeing/hearing from the signs and CMs that the attraction was 45 minutes long.

Kman101

To be fair, the sense I've gotten is not that they would bulldoze the area and fill in the river if they ever got to re-purposing. It seems more likely they'd just stop the river traffic (maybe permanently dock the Liberty Belle) and build bridges to TSI with perhaps a retheming of the island. I'm skeptical they'd just get rid of the RoA entirely.

That said, they went to pretty big lengths to preserve the RoA and traffic there at DL and they are far more desperate in need of land at that park. So, it at least bodes well that there is some respect for retaining the area. (Yeah, yeah, I know DL and Walt and all the locals who protest every change.)

This.

Wasn't trying to imply they'd fill in the river, but even that wouldn't shock me lol.

trainplane3

Just rode it today. It also happened to be my first time riding. Not sure why after 6+ years of being an AP I never ventured over to Energy. It was OK. Definitely didn't expect the dinosaur part to last so long. Also for being so old, I think it managed to hold up pretty well since they didn't really do a deep scientific dive into the different forms of energy.

Unfortunately I did see several people turn and walk away after seeing/hearing from the signs and CMs that the attraction was 45 minutes long.
Ya...I've seen that as well. It's sad. Whatever GotG does with it, I hope it has some relative plot about energy. I've enjoyed the ride from the first time I was in WDW back in 97/98 and I was 5ish.

EricsBiscuit

I went to DAK and MK today. Here are some shots. Bird on a stick is back! Steam is also working. Now all they need to do is fix the Yeti! Only 2 locomotives running today which meant long lines for the train. On my way out from MK I realized how much they need to bring back the trams going from MK to TT&C. They need more monorails and ferries. I waited 30-45 minutes depending if you ask my gf or me lol. That's just crazy!

Attachments

• IMG_4330.JPG
    IMG_4330.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_4321.JPG
    IMG_4321.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_4298.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_4314.JPG
    IMG_4314.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 352

doctornick

Whatever GotG does with it, I hope it has some relative plot about energy.

Why should it have to be about "energy"? I can understand a desire to keep the ride about human achievement and have edutainment value, but it seems unnecessarily restrictive to want the pavilion to have to still be about energy.

There were plans to re-open WoL as a weather pavilion at one point -- would people have been up in arms that it wouldn't have been about health if that had come to pass?

trainplane3

Why should it have to be about "energy"? I can understand a desire to keep the ride about human achievement and have edutainment value, but it seems unnecessarily restrictive to want the pavilion to have to still be about energy.

There were plans to re-open WoL as a weather pavilion at one point -- would people have been up in arms that it wouldn't have been about health if that had come to pass?
I guess I shouldn't have been specific. I'd be fine if it was what you said. And I'd take almost anything that would fit in FW, especially a weather pavilion. I hate seeing WoL not being used for anything besides some festivals.

No Name

To mark the closing of The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Disney is producing some special commemorative merchandise before the attraction fades to black on August 13th.
bj9K8SD.jpg

The merchandise will be released at Walt Disney World late next week, while some of it will be available online through the Disney Parks online store starting August 10th, 2017.

Ah, I was getting worried that they were missing an opportunity to milk a closure... :hungover:

Sigh... any chance this will change once Iger is outta here? Or is that wishful thinking on my part...

I hope so. It really just depends on how the next CEO views the company. Iger sees the studios as the heart of the company, and everything stems down from there. He sees theme parks as an inferior mean of storytelling. The fundamental question is, why are studios allowed to create new characters and franchises, but theme parks are not?

Hopefully the next CEO has a better understanding of the company.

Mike S

Over 2 million more than UK parks which make decent profits (and most of which offer buy one get one free tickets so they're not even making money on entrance fees). American parks are also a lot more monetised, and built for Tourists, so increased spend from merch/souvenirs/treats.

It actually annoys me when Florida residents don't support Seaworld. What some fail to realise is that it is the COMBINED offerings of Florida that make it so attractive as a destination, and Seaworld plays a vital role in this. And as much as some may not like the tourists, without them you wouldn't see the investment and development we currently have everywhere in Florida, Disney included.

Disney and Universal will continue to raise prices which will ensure Seaworld survival. There will be room for Seaworld to raise prices soon when the time is right, and it'll still be at a level where they're seen as value compared to the almost certain monstrous price rises coming before the 50th, and from Comcast to help them fund investment so they can keep pace.
If SeaWorld wasn't so crappy compared to the other two I might actually want to go. As it is now I see SeaWorld as a guy walking down a seedy back alley and is then all of a sudden jumped by two thugs (Disney and Universal) who proceed to beat him to his last breath. That's really how I see it with all the trouble they're in.

Also Comcast doesn't need to keep pace as they already had their own grand plans for a whole new theme park in motion for a while now. They just have to continue what they're already doing.
At Disney now, and have to say I loved the update to Soarin. The transitions were brilliant, the images were crisp, and I felt it was a huge improvement over the original. Looking forward to Pandora tomorrow.
Come tomorrow you'll think much less of Soarin'.
MK's River is indeed in danger, as is TSI.
Like DL or worse? Because I'd be all in favor of an expansion done in the same way as Star Wars over there but obviously something more fitting.

NearTheEars

If SeaWorld wasn't so crappy compared to the other two I might actually want to go. As it is now I see SeaWorld as a guy walking down a seedy back alley and is then all of a sudden jumped by two thugs (Disney and Universal) who proceed to beat him to his last breath. That's really how I see it with all the trouble they're in.

Also Comcast doesn't need to keep pace as they already had their own grand plans for a whole new theme park in motion for a while now. They just have to continue what they're already doing.

Come tomorrow you'll think much less of Soarin'.

Like DL or worse? Because I'd be all in favor of an expansion done in the same way as Star Wars over there but obviously something more fitting.

Have you been to SeaWorld recently?
Obviously it doesn't offer the same level of theming as WDW, but it's definitely not a seedy back alley type park.
Go see the Electric Ocean offerings (while they last) or stop by during Christmas. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mike S

Have you been to SeaWorld recently?
Obviously it doesn't offer the same level of theming as WDW, but it's definitely not a seedy back alley type park.
Go see the Electric Ocean offerings (while they last) or stop by during Christmas. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
I wasn't describing the park itself, I was using personification to describe what the competition is doing to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom