A Spirited Valentine ...

Mike S

Given the scale would match, and there are water planets...would you support a Star Wars land in TDS? Id been mulling over the rumor of one being placed on the parking lot behind Space, and I can almost justify TDS being a better spot, assuming a proper theme.
Well we do have Pandora in Animal Kingdom.

Sue_Vongello

I was on the other side of the world when D23 hit and couldn't have been happier. Just a droolfest combined with cosplay and the feeling of being at a giant fundamentalist religious convention all praying NOT at the altar of Walt, but the altar of Iger. Nope. I would guess that beyond a little upset about GMR and Energy closing, which we all knew as far back as last year, by a few WDW fans ... and the Pixar Pier plans (explain how that one is going to work, please) and lack of Marvel plans (for very good reason) by some DLR fans, most are deliriously happy and think that this is some new Golden Age of WDI and their beloved parks.

It's not. Not even close. Not even same universe.

Yeah I am not sure about these D23 announcements. I read the excitement online but I didn't quite understand it.

What is funny is a friend of mine started a podcast with some other people, Up Late w/ The Disney Crew, and they just posted a D23 reaction show and it's the first podcast/reviews I've seen that are mostly critical of the D23 announcements. It was pretty refreshing. It means their podcast won't last long but refreshing nonetheless.

But one point they made that I appreciated is about when do you think we'll get original ride ideas again? Like is everything going forward mandated to be based on an IP? Is there any potential for original/themed/land specific attractions coming anytime soon?

Good to have you back Spirit. I find my abscenses are tied to yours. ;)

lazyboy97o

But one point they made that I appreciated is about when do you think we'll get original ride ideas again? Like is everything going forward mandated to be based on an IP? Is there any potential for original/themed/land specific attractions coming anytime soon?
Iger has publicly stated that the parks are to focus on established franchises.

Mike S

Yeah I am not sure about these D23 announcements. I read the excitement online but I didn't quite understand it.

What is funny is a friend of mine started a podcast with some other people, Up Late w/ The Disney Crew, and they just posted a D23 reaction show and it's the first podcast/reviews I've seen that are mostly critical of the D23 announcements. It was pretty refreshing. It means their podcast won't last long but refreshing nonetheless.

Good to have you back Spirit. I find my abscenses are tied to yours. ;)
To piggyback off of @lazyboy97o when they pitched the Mickey ride as their next "original ride" in the same vein as Small World, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates that should've given you your answer.

UpAllNight

4 million? LOL!!!!!!! :hilarious:

Over 2 million more than UK parks which make decent profits (and most of which offer buy one get one free tickets so they're not even making money on entrance fees). American parks are also a lot more monetised, and built for Tourists, so increased spend from merch/souvenirs/treats.

It actually annoys me when Florida residents don't support Seaworld. What some fail to realise is that it is the COMBINED offerings of Florida that make it so attractive as a destination, and Seaworld plays a vital role in this. And as much as some may not like the tourists, without them you wouldn't see the investment and development we currently have everywhere in Florida, Disney included.

Disney and Universal will continue to raise prices which will ensure Seaworld survival. There will be room for Seaworld to raise prices soon when the time is right, and it'll still be at a level where they're seen as value compared to the almost certain monstrous price rises coming before the 50th, and from Comcast to help them fund investment so they can keep pace.

FigmentJedi

George Lucas grew up at Disneyland and I believe he was there opening day. In many ways he took the baton from Walt. Walt did not want his park to become a museum.

Therefore SWGE is a perfect fit at Disneyland.
Isn't that just the Guardians of the Galaxy Epcot excuse, but with a real person?

There's better ways you can try to argue for Galaxy's Edge being a fit for Disneyland (such as Star Wars having become such a pop-cultural institution that people call it a modern American mythology, or how it blends all the Disneyland cardinal realms into one), but that is not one of them.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
George Lucas grew up at Disneyland and I believe he was there opening day. In many ways he took the baton from Walt. Walt did not want his park to become a museum.

Therefore SWGE is a perfect fit at Disneyland.

Lucas took nothing from Walt. They are not even in the same universe (no pun intended).

Walt's statement about Disneyland not becoming a museum is so misunderstood. Your post is the perfect example of that. "Well, Walt said it, so that's the green light anyone needs to make changes to any Disney theme park!". :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

UpAllNight

I know Joel Manby, and he is working very hard to NOT let that happen.

Time will tell though, they need to up their game in theming. Bare-Coasters (good for SeaWorld, bad for Disney), D-ticket dark rides (Antarctica & Journey To Atlantis), and epic animal shows/exhibits like the penguins & sea lion show is what SeaWorld needs more of. If they are to do more of this: A.K.A. one of the worst rides ever built for its purpose, then they are setting themselves up for failure.

But if they work on increasing their budget to start truly competing with Dis/Uni that is their best interest. It's not, nor will it ever be at the DIS/UNI standard, but there is a solid market for a SeaWorld that costs less but has slightly less theming (it is way below currently). It just needs more decent theming throughout.
Money is the obvious problem.

Manta is without question their best integration of a bare coaster. It's absolutely gorgeous, landscaped beautifully, water features, themed queue, with an aquarium and a message/purpose...more at this level, or Cobras Curse at BGT is the way to go. I don't mind that Mako is unthemed it's pretty difficult to theme a 200ft hypercoaster but atleast they made an effort with the custom trains, the small bit of theming in the launch station etc.

My major concern is that they go for gimmicks rather than great rides. I'm eagerly awaiting the Rapids ride, as I hope it's actually a great ride and not just a standard one with a gimmicky feature....but the trailer they made for it was promising.

Their major issue is getting people through the door. I don't think they disappoint people once they're there....they hold up very well on tripadvisor (and Discovery Cove, owned by the much hated Seaworld is ranked the number 2 attraction in the whole of Orlando)

UpAllNight

At Disney now, and have to say I loved the update to Soarin. The transitions were brilliant, the images were crisp, and I felt it was a huge improvement over the original. Looking forward to Pandora tomorrow.

It's gone from average to unmissable for us, that's how much we rated the new film. The transitions were a major criticism we had of the old film, as well as the clarity of the images.

lazyboy97o

Lucas took nothing from Walt. They are not even in the same universe (no pun intended).

Walt's statement about Disneyland not becoming a museum is so misunderstood. Your post is the perfect example of that. "Well, Walt said it, so that's the green light anyone needs to make changes to any Disney theme park!". :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
This is someone who would praise broken faucets that sprayed everyone with sewage as the Sheriff continuing the legacy of Walt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom