A Spirited Valentine ...

PizzaPlanet

Will be wading back in these waters soon with my SDL/TDR/D23/WDW/Marty Sklar thread as soon as I can ... but was told to check out And Castro's (my old little buddy) Twitter thread over the weekend and he absolutely nailed why Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is a cancer on the back of DL. You should read it. Sometimes, he lets his emotions get away, but when he is on point, more often than not -- he nails it. He does here.

Most of you won't care. You don't care about the ethos of DL and themed design. You care about that you love Star Wars and you want to pilot the Millennium Falcon and drink blue milk. I get that. Does it make you lesser human beings? Absolutely not. But don't claim to get what DL was and is supposed to be about, the principles that created it and nurtured it for six decades and spawned an industry and say that SW is a great fit for DL and I'm simply a hater of Chewie, Rey and BB-8. You absolutely can't say you understand what birthed and grew DL and think that this homage to Bob Iger's IP and ego somehow belongs or fits where it is going. And if you simply don't care, that again is fine too and doesn't make you a lesser human being. But again, don't twist and contort and spin things to get it to fit your conclusion or your definition of what DL should be. This isn't a statement about the quality of the area, which I fully expect to be terrific. It is about theming and design. Those things don't change just because you dressed up as C3PO and went Trick or Treating with Brad Johnson back in 1993.

I am sure I will hear all about this ... enjoy.

I want to start talking about Shanghai very soon, since so many of you were so fascinated by it and so many of you haven't been ... it also is a good segue from above as it too feels 'off' in a lot of ways (despite what my favourite Tweeter in the desert thinks ... as to why Disney hasn't hired him as a social media rep for SDL, I am truly clueless since he owns the subject and loves all).
It's hard to get on board with SWL in DL when you see just how much of Walt's park it takes up. Just look at the updated park map:
upload_2017-7-31_19-28-39.png

Hopefully MK's River will never get shortened like the original. I guess that's a benefit of the blessing of size.

Bacon

I hope the island finds one way to be preserved like a moana island or something I just really want tsi to stay safe somehow even if it makes no sense what they place

Kman101

Any idea what they are planning to do with it? That definitely is quite a bit of space. I enjoy just chilling over there sometimes but I've wondered how long that would let it remain as is.

I enjoy it as well. I don't know if anything is on the docket, we haven't had any rumors pop up from our insiders but we've heard over the years that the river is "in danger" and so is TSI. I'm sure TDO would love to cut the expense of running the rafts, the Liberty Belle ... sigh. That's why I feel like it's only a matter of when, not if.

mickEblu

It's hard to get on board with SWL in DL when you see just how much of Walt's park it takes up. Just look at the updated park map:
View attachment 219747
Hopefully MK's River will never get shortened like the original. I guess that's a benefit of the blessing of size.

Yeah I too wish it was going in another park.

What really jumps out at me when looking at the park map is that Tomorrowland including Autopia is bigger than the much more atmospheric west side of the park and all of the classic attractions it contains. They really need to re do TL once SWL opens. And Autopia does not deserve to take up 15% or more of the current park acreage. Seeing the ROA shortened and all those trees chopped down when Autopia exists on the other side of the park hurts.

Last edited:

bclane

I enjoy it as well. I don't know if anything is on the docket, we haven't had any rumors pop up from our insiders but we've heard over the years that the river is "in danger" and so is TSI. I'm sure TDO would love to cut the expense of running the rafts, the Liberty Belle ... sigh. That's why I feel like it's only a matter of when, not if.
When I was a kid I lived in Miami. My school would go to Disney at least twice a year (field trips, band trips, etc.) and I remember we would go to TSI and just lose our fool minds running around, hiding, exploring, shooting the guns, whatevers. It was great because the chaperones would just let us go nuts while they sat in the shade. That place was so much fun back then. So many memories...

la2kw

Yeah I too wish it was going in another park.

What's really jumps out at me when looking at the park map is that Tomorrowland including Autopia is bigger than the much more atmospheric west side of the park and all of the classic attractions it contains. They really need to re do TL once SWL opens. And Autopia does not deserve to take up 15% or more of the current park acreage. Seeing the ROA shortened and all those trees chopped down when Autopia exists on the other side of the park hurts.

I do agree, but the autopia track runs on top of the show building for the subs so that really is two attractions in the majority of that space. Also the monorail is built over some of it as well (and that's considered a ride here on the west coast as opposed to hotel transportation). The people mover/rocket rods also traveled over part of that area and those tracks still exist there so back in the day that area had 4 distinct attractions in that same space. Now there are 3 in that space but it could definitely be used better.

EricsBiscuit

They are not gutting the RoA. They're repairing the LB now and are giving her a new boiler. If they wanted to get ride of it then they would have at DL or TDL. Besides, they'd have to fill in the RoA and that'd be expensive. If anything they'll shorten it and add the beautiful scenery like at DL.

Kman101

They are not gutting the RoA. They're repairing the LB now and are giving her a new boiler. If they wanted to get ride of it then they would have at DL or TDL. Besides, they'd have to fill in the RoA and that'd be expensive. If anything they'll shorten it and add the beautiful scenery like at DL.

No one is saying it will happen tomorrow but insiders have long said the rivers have been "looked at". Just because they do work on the Belle doesn't mean anything. We have no solid info saying they're in danger right now but plans at different times have existed I believe @marni1971

lazyboy97o

That means nothing. The people who keep things going day-to-day aren’t the people planning the future nor are they being told such ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom