A Spirited Valentine ...

Goob

Next to WDW and Disneyland, Dollywood is my favorite park, by a mile. If you've never been, try to go in the fall. The surrounding Smokey Mountains are absolutely beautiful that time of year. And the park is built amongst the hills. Also, it's theming is as close to Disney as you can get.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Next to WDW and Disneyland, Dollywood is my favorite park, by a mile. If you've never been, try to go in the fall. The surrounding Smokey Mountains are absolutely beautiful that time of year. And the park is built amongst the hills. Also, it's theming is as close to Disney as you can get.
I totally agree! My fav non Disney park behind IoA is Dollywood. The steam trains are so cool!

Disneyhead'71

I know folks that would rather have a root canal than go to Dollywood.

I blocked them.

Absimilliard

I know folks that would rather have a root canal than go to Dollywood.

I blocked them.

Only went to Dollywood once and it was during the American Coaster Enthusiast CoasterCon event. I'd like to go back to have a real opinion of the place as parks tend to go... overboard? when CoasterCon is held and the worst park can come across as Disneyland circa 1977 in those circumstances.

No Name

I think SeaWorld has great potential if they transition well. That means more rides like Antartica, Atlantic, Wild Arctic, etc. and less ugly coasters.

People don't travel to Orlando to get a Cedar Fair type experince... they can get that closer to home. If there was a market, Cedar Fair or Six Flags would already have parks in Orlando. Disney and Universal are both adding thrilling coasters... but ones with theming and purpose, not just bare steel tracks named after sea animals.

How were their fast pass lines compared to WDW?

Expensive.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

But I don't think the film industry will ever do it
Depends on who is the CEO and how dirty they want to be.
For example, there has been a few games where the companies switched hands a year later.. and they shutdown all the activation servers, leaving all game files useless. This is particularly bad on games that constantly phone home to know its a "legit" copy.

The first one that caused such uproar was Bioshock if I remember correctly.

brb1006

Same goes for Efteling in The Netherlands.

brb1006

To mark the closing of The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Disney is producing some special commemorative merchandise before the attraction fades to black on August 13th.
bj9K8SD.jpg

The merchandise will be released at Walt Disney World late next week, while some of it will be available online through the Disney Parks online store starting August 10th, 2017.

Daveeeeed

Too bad they'll likely be bankrupt in a few years. My expectation is that the land they have will eventually get bought by Universal when they look to expand past Site B. It's right next to SeaWorld after all.
I want Cedar Fair to buy SeaWorld. SeaWorld is already half way to a Cedar Fair park. And that is one thing the Orlando market doesn't have. A "classic" '70s style iron park.
I know Joel Manby, and he is working very hard to NOT let that happen.

Time will tell though, they need to up their game in theming. Bare-Coasters (good for SeaWorld, bad for Disney), D-ticket dark rides (Antarctica & Journey To Atlantis), and epic animal shows/exhibits like the penguins & sea lion show is what SeaWorld needs more of. If they are to do more of this: A.K.A. one of the worst rides ever built for its purpose, then they are setting themselves up for failure.

But if they work on increasing their budget to start truly competing with Dis/Uni that is their best interest. It's not, nor will it ever be at the DIS/UNI standard, but there is a solid market for a SeaWorld that costs less but has slightly less theming (it is way below currently). It just needs more decent theming throughout.
Money is the obvious problem.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Will be wading back in these waters soon with my SDL/TDR/D23/WDW/Marty Sklar thread as soon as I can ... but was told to check out And Castro's (my old little buddy) Twitter thread over the weekend and he absolutely nailed why Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is a cancer on the back of DL. You should read it. Sometimes, he lets his emotions get away, but when he is on point, more often than not -- he nails it. He does here.

Most of you won't care. You don't care about the ethos of DL and themed design. You care about that you love Star Wars and you want to pilot the Millennium Falcon and drink blue milk. I get that. Does it make you lesser human beings? Absolutely not. But don't claim to get what DL was and is supposed to be about, the principles that created it and nurtured it for six decades and spawned an industry and say that SW is a great fit for DL and I'm simply a hater of Chewie, Rey and BB-8. You absolutely can't say you understand what birthed and grew DL and think that this homage to Bob Iger's IP and ego somehow belongs or fits where it is going. And if you simply don't care, that again is fine too and doesn't make you a lesser human being. But again, don't twist and contort and spin things to get it to fit your conclusion or your definition of what DL should be. This isn't a statement about the quality of the area, which I fully expect to be terrific. It is about theming and design. Those things don't change just because you dressed up as C3PO and went Trick or Treating with Brad Johnson back in 1993.

I am sure I will hear all about this ... enjoy.

I want to start talking about Shanghai very soon, since so many of you were so fascinated by it and so many of you haven't been ... it also is a good segue from above as it too feels 'off' in a lot of ways (despite what my favourite Tweeter in the desert thinks ... as to why Disney hasn't hired him as a social media rep for SDL, I am truly clueless since he owns the subject and loves all).

asianway

Will be wading back in these waters soon with my SDL/TDR/D23/WDW/Marty Sklar thread as soon as I can ... but was told to check out And Castro's (my old little buddy) Twitter thread over the weekend and he absolutely nailed why Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is a cancer on the back of DL. You should read it. Sometimes, he lets his emotions get away, but when he is on point, more often than not -- he nails it. He does here.

Most of you won't care. You don't care about the ethos of DL and themed design. You care about that you love Star Wars and you want to pilot the Millennium Falcon and drink blue milk. I get that. Does it make you lesser human beings? Absolutely not. But don't claim to get what DL was and is supposed to be about, the principles that created it and nurtured it for six decades and spawned an industry and say that SW is a great fit for DL and I'm simply a hater of Chewie, Rey and BB-8. You absolutely can't say you understand what birthed and grew DL and think that this homage to Bob Iger's IP and ego somehow belongs or fits where it is going. And if you simply don't care, that again is fine too and doesn't make you a lesser human being. But again, don't twist and contort and spin things to get it to fit your conclusion or your definition of what DL should be. This isn't a statement about the quality of the area, which I fully expect to be terrific. It is about theming and design. Those things don't change just because you dressed up as C3PO and went Trick or Treating with Brad Johnson back in 1993.

I want to start talking about Shanghai very soon, since so many of you were so fascinated by it and so many of you haven't been ... it also is a good segue from above as it too feels 'off' in a lot of ways (despite what my favourite Tweeter in the desert thinks ... as to why Disney hasn't hired him as a social media rep for SDL, I am truly clueless since he owns the subject and loves all).
Given the scale would match, and there are water planets...would you support a Star Wars land in TDS? Id been mulling over the rumor of one being placed on the parking lot behind Space, and I can almost justify TDS being a better spot, assuming a proper theme.

Princess Leia

To mark the closing of The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Disney is producing some special commemorative merchandise before the attraction fades to black on August 13th.
bj9K8SD.jpg

The merchandise will be released at Walt Disney World late next week, while some of it will be available online through the Disney Parks online store starting August 10th, 2017.
I'm going to need a shirt :(

LithiumBill

It is totally OK to say, SW:GE is going to be fantastic, but it does not belong in DL... I agree 100% with that. DL is sacred ground.

jt04

George Lucas grew up at Disneyland and I believe he was there opening day. In many ways he took the baton from Walt. Walt did not want his park to become a museum.

Therefore SWGE is a perfect fit at Disneyland.

brb1006

Did you see Mickey's Storybook Express?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom