A Spirited Valentine ...

Kman101

Will be wading back in these waters soon with my SDL/TDR/D23/WDW/Marty Sklar thread as soon as I can ... but was told to check out And Castro's (my old little buddy) Twitter thread over the weekend and he absolutely nailed why Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is a cancer on the back of DL. You should read it. Sometimes, he lets his emotions get away, but when he is on point, more often than not -- he nails it. He does here.

Most of you won't care. You don't care about the ethos of DL and themed design. You care about that you love Star Wars and you want to pilot the Millennium Falcon and drink blue milk. I get that. Does it make you lesser human beings? Absolutely not. But don't claim to get what DL was and is supposed to be about, the principles that created it and nurtured it for six decades and spawned an industry and say that SW is a great fit for DL and I'm simply a hater of Chewie, Rey and BB-8. You absolutely can't say you understand what birthed and grew DL and think that this homage to Bob Iger's IP and ego somehow belongs or fits where it is going. And if you simply don't care, that again is fine too and doesn't make you a lesser human being. But again, don't twist and contort and spin things to get it to fit your conclusion or your definition of what DL should be. This isn't a statement about the quality of the area, which I fully expect to be terrific. It is about theming and design. Those things don't change just because you dressed up as C3PO and went Trick or Treating with Brad Johnson back in 1993.

I am sure I will hear all about this ... enjoy.

I want to start talking about Shanghai very soon, since so many of you were so fascinated by it and so many of you haven't been ... it also is a good segue from above as it too feels 'off' in a lot of ways (despite what my favourite Tweeter in the desert thinks ... as to why Disney hasn't hired him as a social media rep for SDL, I am truly clueless since he owns the subject and loves all).

Very few on here have said SW:GE is a good fit for Disneyland ...

Kman101

It is totally OK to say, SW:GE is going to be fantastic, but it does not belong in DL... I agree 100% with that. DL is sacred ground.

Sacred? I agree SW is going into the wrong park in Anaheim, but the park should be allowed to evolve and change and add. But I know that's not a popular opinion. They did a great job re-doing the Rivers, despite shortening it. Sometimes change isn't always awful. But yes, SW is going into the wrong park.

Kman101

Meh, I wasnt that impressed by Soarin' 1.0, but I do think the original is better.

I find both versions good. I think the new version fits Epcot better and wish they'd bring the California version back to DCA. Most don't nitpick the CGI like we do. But I was thrown because Soarin' 1.0 always got an applause (not that I rode it a ton but still) but when I saw Soarin' 2.0 nothing. So ...

Kman101

It's not bad, but "Soarin': The CGI Experience!!!" is nowhere close to on par with the original for myself and many others.

Eh, it's not really so bad. It fits Epcot better. We all wanted a world version and now that we got it people hate it. LOL. I understand about the CGI but eh. I don't let that bother me. I liked Soarin 1.0 enough but I think they're both equal IMHO.

Kman101

And we also have to remember that Spirit isn't a big Star Wars fan, all signs point to it being a great land with two great attractions (and you can be excited for it and still agree it's in the wrong place) ... and again, yes, it's going into the wrong park in Anaheim. In reality, there should be a third gate preparing to open with Star Wars and Marvel and Pixar represented there.

bclane

I find both versions good. I think the new version fits Epcot better and wish they'd bring the California version back to DCA. Most don't nitpick the CGI like we do. But I was thrown because Soarin' 1.0 always got an applause (not that I rode it a ton but still) but when I saw Soarin' 2.0 nothing. So ...
I enjoy both too. I just wish they would turn it into 3 separate rides though. Auditorium #1 could be the original, #2 could be the new film, and #3 could be something like Soar'n through the Universe where you take randomized (like Star Tours) trips though our Solar System, or to some distant planet, or through a nebula, etc.

stlphil

Will be wading back in these waters soon with my SDL/TDR/D23/WDW/Marty Sklar thread as soon as I can ... but was told to check out And Castro's (my old little buddy) Twitter thread over the weekend and he absolutely nailed why Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is a cancer on the back of DL. You should read it. Sometimes, he lets his emotions get away, but when he is on point, more often than not -- he nails it. He does here.

Most of you won't care. You don't care about the ethos of DL and themed design. You care about that you love Star Wars and you want to pilot the Millennium Falcon and drink blue milk. I get that. Does it make you lesser human beings? Absolutely not. But don't claim to get what DL was and is supposed to be about, the principles that created it and nurtured it for six decades and spawned an industry and say that SW is a great fit for DL and I'm simply a hater of Chewie, Rey and BB-8. You absolutely can't say you understand what birthed and grew DL and think that this homage to Bob Iger's IP and ego somehow belongs or fits where it is going. And if you simply don't care, that again is fine too and doesn't make you a lesser human being. But again, don't twist and contort and spin things to get it to fit your conclusion or your definition of what DL should be. This isn't a statement about the quality of the area, which I fully expect to be terrific. It is about theming and design. Those things don't change just because you dressed up as C3PO and went Trick or Treating with Brad Johnson back in 1993.

I am sure I will hear all about this ... enjoy.

I want to start talking about Shanghai very soon, since so many of you were so fascinated by it and so many of you haven't been ... it also is a good segue from above as it too feels 'off' in a lot of ways (despite what my favourite Tweeter in the desert thinks ... as to why Disney hasn't hired him as a social media rep for SDL, I am truly clueless since he owns the subject and loves all).
So, for the social-media challenged, where can I find referenced Twitter thread?

Kman101

I enjoy both too. I just wish they would turn it into 3 separate rides though. Auditorium #1 could be the original, #2 could be the new film, and #3 could be something like Soar'n through the Universe where you take randomized (like Star Tours) trips though our Solar System, or to some distant planet, or through a nebula, etc.

Probably not feasible but I wished they had done longer versions of certain places, and you get randomized different versions. With different musical scores. Instead of just soaring over key landmarks, soar over more than just one landmark for each place. China, France, Canada (yes I know the circlevision movies showcase these places) ... each it's own version of Soarin'.

bclane

Probably not feasible but I wished they had done longer versions of certain places, and you get randomized different versions. With different musical scores. Instead of just soaring over key landmarks, soar over more than just one landmark for each place. China, France, Canada (yes I know the circlevision movies showcase these places) ... each it's own version of Soarin'.
I'm with you. I figure if they can randomize Star Tours and synch the complex movements to what we see on the screen they should be able to do it for Soarin. Maybe one time you ride you spend all your time flying over Africa and the next time you ride it you are flying over the South Pacific and another time it is random short scenes from all over that you get to visit. Talk about re-rideability!

MinnieWaffles

I actually thought the old Soarin was kind of boring TBH. Always preferred Test Track. I'm looking forward to getting to see the new version in September though!

And Seaworld is definitely a park that needs to step up IMO. I last visited in 2011 and to be honest didn't enjoy it much at all. Too much trailing back and forth and lots of open concrete meaning it got really hot.

jt04

Lucas took nothing from Walt. They are not even in the same universe (no pun intended).

Walt's statement about Disneyland not becoming a museum is so misunderstood. Your post is the perfect example of that. "Well, Walt said it, so that's the green light anyone needs to make changes to any Disney theme park!". :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Isn't that just the Guardians of the Galaxy Epcot excuse, but with a real person?

There's better ways you can try to argue for Galaxy's Edge being a fit for Disneyland (such as Star Wars having become such a pop-cultural institution that people call it a modern American mythology, or how it blends all the Disneyland cardinal realms into one), but that is not one of them.

Lucas took nothing from Walt. They are not even in the same universe (no pun intended).

Walt's statement about Disneyland not becoming a museum is so misunderstood. Your post is the perfect example of that. "Well, Walt said it, so that's the green light anyone needs to make changes to any Disney theme park!". :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Your subjective opinions are wrong in the subjective opinions of others. I hear very little complaining except by those trying to manufacture a meme. Which will fail.

PS- multi-quote mess up, sorry. Too tired to fix it.

LithiumBill

Sacred? I agree SW is going into the wrong park in Anaheim, but the park should be allowed to evolve and change and add. But I know that's not a popular opinion. They did a great job re-doing the Rivers, despite shortening it. Sometimes change isn't always awful. But yes, SW is going into the wrong park.
You mistook what i was saying, I agree with you. It's sacred, as in Walt's Vision. Which he would have evolved. SW is not part of that DL vision. (mind you, I am a HUGE SW Geek. I'm excited for GE, just not a fan of it's location.)

Kman101

You mistook what i was saying, I agree with you. It's sacred, as in Walt's Vision. Which he would have evolved. SW is not part of that DL vision. (mind you, I am a HUGE SW Geek. I'm excited for GE, just not a fan of it's location.)

Ah. Got you. I agree SW is not part of that. I'm excited for the land too but have always thought DL was the wrong place for it.

hokielutz

Going back to Walt's vision... when people are talking about Star Wars not being suited for DL, but in another park... was that really Walt's vision also? His publicly stated vision and beliefs did not include multiple theme parks in Florida... but a larger version of DisneyLand park and an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow... not a second themepark. Without him at the helm... the WDC brass remaining didn't have the same courage and punted into a multi theme park format.

the.dreamfinder

Going back to Walt's vision... when people are talking about Star Wars not being suited for DL, but in another park... was that really Walt's vision also? His publicly stated vision and beliefs did not include multiple theme parks in Florida... but a larger version of DisneyLand park and an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow... not a second themepark. Without him at the helm... the WDC brass remaining didn't have the same courage and punted into a multi theme park format.
Star Wars falls out of the stated thesis and organization/layout of the park. Given the intense public demand and willingness of guests to pay for hefty upcharges, this is basically a Discovery Cove esque SW boutique park directly attached to Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom