Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Gringrinngghost

As Martin said, work will be done in 5-6 years. As of Right now Imagination will be redone around 2023, There is currently NO IP selected but it's going to be major work as the budget just for redoing Imagination is currently sitting at 15% of the budget to redo Epcot. The Budget is also bigger than Guardians of the Galaxy by about 20-25%.

Ismael Flores

I agree, most people I know, even those who have visited before not just first timers will complain about the lack of characters. That doesn't include those who even after a visit still don't understand that their are 4?seperate parks. I like imagination but it needs some love desperately, if sticking Inside Out in Epcot draws larger crowds then Disney execs would be stupid to not make the change. Of course updating imagination and making it a draw would be best

Agreed, I really enjoyed the original imagination ride. The ride was fun and enjoyable and what made it more memorable was that it was complimented by all the other fun thins in the pavilion. All of Epcot was the same way, it didn't matter that the rides started looking cheesy and a bit outdated while the rest of the world technology kept getting better. What made the park interesting was that the pavilions actually things to do.
when they went in and changed the imagination ride and closed down the second floor then it destroyed the pavilion.
One thing I hate about WDW and the team that run it is the wrong decisions to just cut away at things that could be kept up and updated with newer technology and still keep the ride fresh. Instead the get rides that were designed to fit huge buildings and cut the ride lengths and then leave large sections of the show buildings empty. The amount of dead space in WDE is amazing. I am not sure how it is now but I remember when the park opened you could explore every time inch of most buildings and now they have large sections of them closed off and rotting making areas of the park look empty.

At this point if adding characters like Inside out will bring back to life the imagination pavilion then go for it. Hopefully the second floor comes back to life also even if it's for a cool looking lounge and eatery with great theming

Maeryk

Considering we are like, 5 years out, I wouldn't count on inside out, unless they somehow sequel it by then. It will be a 7 year old film by then.

I could see a ride based around concepts.. one of which might be inside out.. and a bunch of other vignettes and snippets, but I don't really see that expensive a refurb going to what is effectively a dead IP. I doubt we'll ever have diamond edition vault releases of that film.

FettFan

The DIS is reporting that 'multiple reliable sources' are saying that Inside Out will replace Figment at the Imagination pavilion.

I couldn't find this anywhere on this site. Does anyone know anything about this? Maybe this was one of the announcements they held back on at D23. I know this rumor has been around a while, but this is new reporting saying that this is definitely in the works.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...o-imagination-will-be-replaced-by-inside-out/

If this is true...then I'm done. I'm out. It's not worth spending my time or money at WDW anymore.

Maeryk

If this is true...then I'm done. I'm out. It's not worth spending my time or money at WDW anymore.

Insider info has the Imagination work pushed out by years, and no specific IP attached. As I said above.. assuming it gets started in 5 years.. I doubt IO would be the IP. It will be old and rather dated by then.

Heck, knowing Disney, it wouldn't surprise me if they were co-developing an IP specifically designed for the pavilion with one of the studios arms, just so they could have original, branded IP that is designed to fit.

Which it seemed like they were trying to do with Tomorrowland, but it fell flat.

Ismael Flores

We got the ride we have now because Kodak pulled out halfway through rebuilding the ride. Disney had to scramble to get what was left into a workable concept, so you ended up with, roughly, half a ride. The upstairs was closed because it was hard to access.. the stairs weren't very wide (you can still see them as you exit the gift shop), and the elevator was tiny. Plus it was hard to supervise.

The rest of the track is still, apparently, in the building, waiting in case it ever gets redone again, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't understand the whole thing about the upstairs being hard to access. It never seemed to an issue when the pavilion ran well for several years. The place always had plenty of people going up and down the escalators and never did I see it crowded to the point that it caused issues

FettFan

Insider info has the Imagination work pushed out by years, and no specific IP attached. As I said above.. assuming it gets started in 5 years.. I doubt IO would be the IP. It will be old and rather dated by then.

Heck, knowing Disney, it wouldn't surprise me if they were co-developing an IP specifically designed for the pavilion with one of the studios arms, just so they could have original, branded IP that is designed to fit.

Which it seemed like they were trying to do with Tomorrowland, but it fell flat.

The thing is... Figment and Dreamfinder have hit a bit of Renaissance over the past couple of years thanks to Disney and Marvel.
53a9c935e7b26.jpg

That's all the IP one really needs, and with the technology being used nowadays, these two could easily return to their rightful places as the de facto mascots for Epcot.

Maeryk

I don't understand the whole thing about the upstairs being hard to access. It never seemed to an issue when the pavilion ran well for several years. The place always had plenty of people going up and down the escalators and never did I see it crowded to the point that it caused issues

Simply put, people got rowdier and less polite, and the park traffic increased a lot.

Maeryk

The thing is... Figment and Dreamfinder have hit a bit of Renaissance over the past couple of years thanks to Disney and Marvel.
53a9c935e7b26.jpg

That's all the IP one really needs, and with the technology being used nowadays, these two could easily return to their rightful places as the de facto mascots for Epcot.

You are preaching to the choir. I love the steampunk aesthetic they have done with the comics, (and it hearkens back to dreamfinders skymobile thing too.. which was steampunk AF before steampunk was even a thing).

Just4Pics

Original Poster
Soooo should I be concerned that I don't see any glass pyramids here?

No matter what they do to Figment I highly doubt they'd get rid of the the building. They're not even getting rid of the UoE building nor did they get rid of the World of Motion building when they built Test Track.

Those glass pyramids are here to stay for a long time. What will be in them is anyone's guess.

MerlinTheGoat

This thread is overdue for someone to post Martin's tribute of the original ride. He's got a new higher quality edit coming soon in the future but this will do for now. For those who just want the attraction itself, queue starts at 8 minutes in, ride at the 10:30 mark (I do recommend you watch the rest of the video though for knowledge's sake)-

Classic Disney imagineering at its finest. Masterfully designed, overflowing with quality, nothing else like it. There were obviously rides with larger animatronic populations, but this one was still filled with insanely detailed setpieces and tons of awesome effects (some simple, some complex, all incredibly well designed and executed). It had so much soul and charm.

Lucky Rabbit

Thank's for the clarification, I don't know when the data I saw was produced,you would be a bit more knowledgeable to it than I.
I'd assume whatever the initial ideas were for the budget have been largely expanded. According to Box Office Mojo Guardians Vol. 1 made: $773,328,629 and Guardians Vol. 2 made: $859,302,680

Add in the success of the Disneyland ride and their continued relevancy with upcoming Guardians Vol 3 and big roles in Avengers 3 and 4. I'm sure the Guardians ride will bring a lot more people to Epcot, where as an upgraded Imagination pavilion won't have nearly the same impact for Disney's bottom line.

disney1023

You know, Dreamfinder is used as the mascot for EPCOT Center and Figment is the mascot of today's Epcot. What I'm saying is that Dreamfinder won't come back because of the nostalgia and merchandise sales of former EPCOT Center.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom