Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'd assume whatever the initial ideas were for the budget have been largely expanded. According to Box Office Mojo Guardians Vol. 1 made: $773,328,629 and Guardians Vol. 2 made: $859,302,680

Add in the success of the Disneyland ride and their continued relevancy with upcoming Guardians Vol 3 and big roles in Avengers 3 and 4. I'm sure the Guardians ride will bring a lot more people to Epcot, where as an upgraded Imagination pavilion won't have nearly the same impact for Disney's bottom line.

Right, because, as we all should know, a big overseas box office = Guaranteed huge US theme park success. :rolleyes: GotG 2 made 66% of it's US box office in its first 10 days. It's box office receipts also didn't meet DIS expectations. Not exactly what I'd call "staying power", even though I'm a fan of the movies.

Personally, I think DIS is trying to catch lightning in a bottle again - After the unexpected success of the first movie, they think they can repeat that success in a theme park. Sure, a ride based on GotG will attract lots of people for the first year or two (I mean, look at the condition of Epcot over the last 20 years - How could it NOT draw people?), but after that all bets are off.

Anywho... Replacing Figment with Inside Out would be a huge, horrible mistake. Refurb the ride properly (See one of Martin's many posts on the subject for what they should do) and you'll be amazed at how many people want to ride it again.

Timothy_Q

Heck, knowing Disney, it wouldn't surprise me if they were co-developing an IP specifically designed for the pavilion with one of the studios arms, just so they could have original, branded IP that is designed to fit

I think you're talking about a different Disney. Lol when was the last time Disney did that in the US? It was probably Figment himself. It's been a while

Mabel Pines

Heck, knowing Disney, it wouldn't surprise me if they were co-developing an IP specifically designed for the pavilion with one of the studios arms, just so they could have original, branded IP that is designed to fit.

I think you're talking about a different Disney. Lol when was the last time Disney did that in the US? It was probably Figment himself. It's been a while

Actually this thought ran through my mind too. I don't think Disney will do it anytime soon but I couldn't help but imagine this post-apocalyptic scenario when I was reading this thread. I agree Disney has not done this in the past but similar things have happened with big companies. Space Jam from 1996 is notorious for only being produced to sell every kind of merchandise under the sun. Not the best example, but I think it can relate to how one day they might get the idea to just make movies completely revolving around their chosen theme for the purpose of building attractions.

Frank the Tank

Right, because, as we all should know, a big overseas box office = Guaranteed huge US theme park success. :rolleyes: GotG 2 made 66% of it's US box office in its first 10 days. It's box office receipts also didn't meet DIS expectations. Not exactly what I'd call "staying power", even though I'm a fan of the movies.

Personally, I think DIS is trying to catch lightning in a bottle again - After the unexpected success of the first movie, they think they can repeat that success in a theme park. Sure, a ride based on GotG will attract lots of people for the first year or two (I mean, look at the condition of Epcot over the last 20 years - How could it NOT draw people?), but after that all bets are off.

I don't think it's as much as trying to catch lightning in bottle as it's the fact that GotG is really the only Marvel property of any consequence that Disney is allowed to use in Florida. From Disney's perspective, it's the equivalent of owning an entire gold mine of potential theme park IP but only being allowed to have a couple of gold nuggets as a ration... so they're stretching that ration out. Getting Marvel into WDW in any way possible seems to be the directive and GotG is clearly the most high profile group of characters that isn't restricted under the Marvel-Universal perpetual license (and to be honest, I don't blame Disney on that front as an overall objective).

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I don't think it's as much as trying to catch lightning in bottle as it's the fact that GotG is really the only Marvel property of any consequence that Disney is allowed to use in Florida. From Disney's perspective, it's the equivalent of owning an entire gold mine of potential theme park IP but only being allowed to have a couple of gold nuggets as a ration... so they're stretching that ration out. Getting Marvel into WDW in any way possible seems to be the directive and GotG is clearly the most high profile group of characters that isn't restricted under the Marvel-Universal perpetual license (and to be honest, I don't blame Disney on that front as an overall objective).

Well BH6 can be used in a variety of places; although you did mention properties of consequence. Does TDO think BH6 bankable? Heck there's a Marvel IP that could go in Imagination! or WoL if were being brutally honest here. Why has it's presence been mostly neglected?

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

Yeah, I don't get the love for that movie. It was good. It was not great, and it's FAR form Pixar's best work. And if it belongs anywhere.. it's the wonders of life pavilion. The movie was about puberty.. not imagination.

I don't believe Imagination should be eliminated, but Inside Out was brilliant and both a critical and box office smash hit. Obviously, whether someone personally likes a movie is a "different strokes for different folks" calculus, but the consensus is that Inside Out is one of Pixar's very best with a 98% Rotten Tomatoes rating from critics. The only Pixar movies with higher Rotten Tomatoes ratings are the Toy Story trilogy (100% for 1 and 2 and 99% for 3) and Finding Nemo (99%), and you literally can't get higher ratings than what those movies achieved:

https://editorialadmin.rottentomatoes.com/article/total-recall-pixar-movies/2/

Separately, for those concerned about the original intent and purpose of EPCOT Center being lost, Inside Out is an IP that fits in very coherently with that theme. Now, that doesn't mean that it necessarily should be replacing Imagination, but Disney ought to be doing everything it can to create a great Inside Out attraction at Epcot.

Frank the Tank

Well BH6 can be used in a variety of places; although you did mention properties of consequence. Does TDO think BH6 bankable? Heck there's a Marvel IP that could go in Imagination! if were being brutally honest here. Why has it's presence been mostly neglected?

I personally think BH6 would actually fit into Epcot about as well as any IP with its focus on science/inventions/robotics. Frankly, for all of the consternation on these boards about the use of IPs for attractions, there's quite an amazing roster of IPs that Disney has just left sitting on the shelf with little presence at WDW and could address a large range of themes (e.g. BH6, The Incredibles, Wall-E, Up, Zootopia, et. al). My guess is that TDO doesn't emphasize them because none of those (at least as of now) fit into core franchises like Star Wars, Marvel, Disney Princesses, Toy Story, Cars and Nemo. BH6 is technically a Marvel property, but it's not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe like GotG (which is what the general public looks at as the "real" Marvel). There's a pretty big difference there. Plus, I imagine that it has eaten at TDO every day since Disney bought Marvel that Universal has Spider-Man (with a signature attraction) and members of The Avengers across town and TDO can't do anything about it. TDO was probably resigned to having zero Marvel presence at WDW 3 years ago, but when GotG became a huge hit and they became comfortable that it wasn't subject to the Universal restrictions, getting GotG into WDW likely became one of the company's highest priorities in terms of IP integration outside of maximizing Star Wars.

clemmo

Allocated Imag budget is currently less than the Guardians budget.
I'd think guardians probably has a massive budget though so I'd think you could do a lot with a little less money. I'm kind of surprised this has a budget if none of the plans are that far along, is this normal?

clemmo

Guardians or other stuff?

Everything has an allocated budget. Kind of a figure not to be exceeded.
Imagination. Obviously guardians has a budget but for something like imagination that's so far off and not even green lit I'm surprised they already have an allocated budget.

Maeryk

Imagination. Obviously guardians has a budget but for something like imagination that's so far off and not even green lit I'm surprised they already have an allocated budget.

If Disney is anything like any other big corporation with diverse interests, they have 5,10, and 20 year plans, with earmarked budgetary requirements for each project in the pipeline, even if they don't necessarily know what said project will be yet.

They know the pavilion is going to need a refresh at some point. They have a 5 year plan (currently, guardians, the rat, etc are actually in process.. in the next five years). After that, they know other pavilions are going to need attention, even if they dont' necessarily know exactly how it's going to happen.. so you have people thinking about it.. and budget earmarked for it. That's part of your (current) 10 year plan, which will roll to immediate 5 year, in 5 years. And your 20 year plan is more like that blue sky drawing we saw.. "this is where we see it going down the road".

But each piece of infrastructure probably has it's own budget earmarks. They have to allocate it that way, even if it's just a % of whatever fund/account/whatever, so they know how much they have for other things.

Dapper Dan

Can i get a pair of those with the old epcot logo on them ?
Mostly, they just look like this.
plastic2.jpg

KBLovedDisney

Maybe they will rehash the original JII story with InsideOut like so:

The ride starts off.
You have so many memories that your memory bank is full. Then you have to take the journey to long term memory to deposit the memories...I could see it now. You go through Goofball Island, Friendship Island, Family Island and then you end up in LongTerm Memory where your photo will then be taken to be added to the collection of memories. Then when you exit the ride and enter ImaginationLand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom