Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemmo

So as for the speedway are they leaning more towards replacement with a 1-2 new attractions in that location or more of an update? I feel like I've heard both recently

HauntedMansionFLA

So as for the speedway are they leaning more towards replacement with a 1-2 new attractions in that location or more of an update? I feel like I've heard both recently
Could one attraction be for New Fantasy Land and the other attraction be for Tomorrowland ?

tl77

Ikr we get yet another restaurant and...this.
photo-9.jpg

They get an actual attraction...thanks TDO.
sSJQgmW.gif

Yeah, you can see here "version 2" of Beast Castle that's more on par with Prince Eric's Castle at the Little Mermaid attraction. After the Mine Train started eating into the budget, they shrank it down to the "doll house on a rock" version we ended up with... I think what they're doing in Tokyo is a design from New Fantasyland "version 1" with Cinderella's Chateau, Sleeping Beauty's cottage, Pixie Hollow, and Snow White's Scary Adventure still intact
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2012/10/new-fantasyland-preview.jpg

Originally the whole castle was bigger and had a second floor with balcony seating in the main "ballroom" area, (the balcony is still there kinda) you would have gotten up to that area by using a replica of the staircase from the movie off the armor room area. The staircase would have taken up half of what's the now "rose room", the other half of which would have been a smaller themed dinging area, similar to the "West Wing", which you can see in the first leaked blue prints
fantasylandplans_thumb3.jpg

...and an emergency exit and ramp from that second floor were still part of the model, visible in this first photo they released back when Pixie Hollow ectt, was still part of the plan. The ramp is to the left of the main entrance that did get built
Fantasyland-Expansion-Original-Model-and-Plans-walt-disney-world-15314938-500-355.jpg

YodaMan

The upper restaurant balcony was built to be load bearing. There's a chance it could be used in the future.

How high is the ceiling, though? I feel like it's not that tall, but without ever seeing anyone up there, I'm not positive on scale. If the balcony were to be used in the future, would they have to modify the height of the ceiling?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How high is the ceiling, though? I feel like it's not that tall, but without ever seeing anyone up there, I'm not positive on scale. If the balcony were to be used in the future, would they have to modify the height of the ceiling?
Pass. It surprised me I have to admit.

tl77

Unless they do some major structural alterations, like the a stair case to the second floor, elevators for food service and ADA compliance, and the emergency exit ramp outside, it will stay the way it is inside... but the reason the West Wing has such a low ceiling is because there was going to be additional seating above that space and the kitchen. I think the original home of the West Wing was going to be on that second floor, that's the way it is in the film, and there was some concept art of it being larger than what they ended up with

HauntedMansionFLA

So about that replacement for the speedway... Any news?
Rumor and Upcoming Timeline Tracker
Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by MisterPenguin, Apr 21, 2017.
  • Tomorrowland refresh: while nothing has been announced, this is definitely happening since it has already started with paint jobs and the seasonal closure of Stitch. However, the plans have not been finalized and there are several contenders, and so, competing ideas keep getting leaked...
    • We've already seen the boulders and Carousel of Progress get a new paint job... so they're staying. And the paint job is a hint of what's to come, as well as the new Joffrey's. And rocks will be getting new lighting, like Space Mountain recently received.
    • We've already seen Stitch's Great Escape go into seasonal mode. It was going to be a Wreck It Ralph ride (like Minions/Simpson in Universal), but that is nixed. Some other IP is going there. (by 2019? 2020?)
    • Speedway is changing: they're still debating whether to give it an overlay, truncate it, or completely replace it
    • Other stuff: Insiders hint that there are several other significant changes coming, but won't say what so as to protect their sources.
    • Tron coaster is a contender, but not a top one [likely]
    • There will be 2-3 new rides [likely]
    • A name change for Tomorrowland? Discovery Land?

Rumrunner

My kids loved the Speedway and now my grandkids love it. It is a very unique experience for them and hope it stays. I love the sounds.

Rumrunner

For younger kids the Racetrack is a great ride. That is a thrill for kids. Many of them couldn't ride or can't ride many of the rides now with the height restrictions. Leave this unique experience and put roller coasters in other areas.

EricsBiscuit

For younger kids the Racetrack is a great ride. That is a thrill for kids. Many of them couldn't ride or can't ride many of the rides now with the height restrictions. Leave this unique experience and put roller coasters in other areas.
it is definitely not a unique experience. Rather, another inferior clone.

Bacon

Sorry for the bump, but with D23 Expo fast approaching is there any fuel to the fire that a Tron attraction is coming to WDW? replacing the speedway? To be announced next week? If not is there anything else to replace the speedway for this year or is it still "early days"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom