Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman101

Wreck it Ralph overlay still seems like the easiest option for them IMO but I don't know that if there was even a suggestion for such a thing, just my thoughts on it. They seem to be eyeing the land but they don't seem ready to announce anything for TL just yet

roj2323

More broadly Ideally I'd like to see 2-3 attractions fill the space with a kid friendly dark ride below with a spinner (magic carpet/dumbo type ride) and perhaps a Sum of all thrills type attraction above it. There's plenty of reasons I say this but the reality is Disney needs more ride capacity and a more densely packed area would certainly do the trick. Besides, there's plenty of elevation change between the load/unload area of the speedway and the railroad at the outer edge of the park to do this without major impacts to the park in general and construction access would be easy enough with a temporary rail crossing installed.

That said, this is just me imagineering the heck out of the areas potential and I don't see anything of this scale making it past this forum.

Bacon

Wreck it Ralph overlay still seems like the easiest option for them IMO but I don't know that if there was even a suggestion for such a thing, just my thoughts on it. They seem to be eyeing the land but they don't seem ready to announce anything for TL just yet
With TDO's recent history of overlays I bet that too but...

Bocabear

They could always just overhaul the speedway and rework the track to make it a little more interesting layout, change the cars to electric(Take Hong Kong's vehicles since they are getting rid of theirs),add lots of scenic elements, and compact it to allow another attraction either the Fantasyland side or the Tomorrowland side. Tomorrowland has plenty of space for expansion without even touching the speedway though.

Kman101

They COULD do that but we all know they'd rather replace than invest. But I thought it was mentioned there had been a plan to overhaul it as well as plans to replace. So who knows? I wouldn't mind it staying as I know it's popular but it needs a massive overhaul.

Unplugged

I see lot's of arm chair imagineering going on as we all would LOVE to hear about plans, but alas, they have nothing set in stone (or in the case of Florida and TDO's wishy-washy approach....nothing is set in sand). So while I typically don't post like this, the "what if" on this land is fun to dream, so here are my thoughts:

• Changing the name to something more appropriate, like "Sci-Fi-land", would support a mix of all sorts of things in including the retro "tomorrowland" approach from 50 years ago, while supporting new concepts and IPs. But this would require a re-skinning of the land. Purple painted rocks ain't gonna do it! But there is a lot of maintainable structure and classic rides that could be perfectly valid with a little love.
  • Replacing the Speedway with Sugar Rush would have some requirements to be great. It needs to be indoors, and thus pushed beyond the berm, electric, and include a few critical scenes. The loading area needs to be in the Factory (queue in the factory passing Beard Papa sleeping), some cool racing through the scenery, the horizontal spiral of Diet Coke Hot Springs and a dark scene near the end with the Cy-Bugs trying to take over, before the final scene of Ralph and Vanellope cheering you on as the dark resets to color. Heck, they could have it so you are not driving, but could have 6 to 8 cars in 2 lanes all moving at the same time so it emulates the race. Obviously it would be MUCH slower then and NOT the same as Test Track, but the track design can give the illusion of speed while being slow enough to take in the scenery.
  • Tron Coaster would be lot's of fun and certainly change the appeal of the land radically by modernizing the look. But having 2 coasters in the land? I don't know if even a modern Diz would push such an agenda. But hey, while Space Mountain is classic, so modernization or hybrid'ing it with Tron may not be a bad thing and could add more life to the old building. Perhaps making it looks more like the Arena on the inside?
  • If they truly want to move away from "studios" at the studios, then bring Sci-Fi Dine-in to the Sci-fi-land. It'd add another large dining location and the theme would be fine. I HATE the "move a ride" discussions, but clearly, this is only a boxy shell building with an attached kitchen, DLP projector, and car-shaped booths. This would be a simple (read as CHEAP) move and maintain a fun restaurant with an appropriate theme to the revamped land.
I dunno know. I read all of our wish lists and it seems to boil down to the above. Only the insiders know and could estimate this, but it seems like for 2 new E's (Tron & Sugar Rush), a moved restaurant, and a land re-skinning, it should be doable for the low, low price of under $1B.

...but what do I know? An opinion is like an....well, you get that everybody has one.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can see ol' Clickbait has stirred the pot this morning.....I turn to @marni1971, any truth to his "confirmation?"
All I can say is it's a possibility. I don't personally know if it's green lit.

As far as I knew it wasn't for discussion this week.

There were also three Tron options for this plot. Going with all 3 would be a surprise.

Last edited:

wdwgreek

I wonder which layout they would go with. A while back i remeber someone plotting out the choices. It'll be very interesting to see what happens. What is it now one week till D23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom